1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White gives an emphatic ‘hell no’ to the idea of taking part in 100 flights this year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dragician, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dragician

dragician Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...s-emphatic-hell-no-idea-taking-195522553.html

Unofficially, the Houston Rockets’ tricky situation is now the Philadelphia 76ers’ tricky situation. The trade hasn’t gone through yet, but soon enough forward Royce White will become a Sixer at some point this month in a cost-cutting move meant to shed enough salary to sign Dwight Howard outright. The former Iowa State standout did not appear in any games for the Rockets during his rookie year, clashing with management over their perceived lack of compassion toward White’s anxiety disorder. White’s condition manifests itself in a fear of flying, and leaves him ill at ease in front of large groups of people.
    The Rockets provided White with a bus last season and allowed him to travel via highway to 15 D-League appearances, but the two sides could never get to an agreement on how to deal with a very necessary part of NBA life – taking the hundred or so flights needed to travel with the team. Now waiting for Philly’s call, White is putting his foot down when it comes to wheels lifting into the air. From Randy Peterson at USA Today:

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This bum won't be in the NBA after next season and there is a good chance he will never play in an NBA game.

Teams are saying hell no to you Royce. Beggars can't be choosers.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't worry, Royce. I'm sure Hinkie intends to waive you as soon as the trade is complete. You won't even have to show up for the physical!

4. arjun

arjun Member

hahahahhahahhaa

5. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

Guys I want you to think logically:

This man has been playing his *** off for a large part of his life in order to achieve his dream of playing in the NBA.

He gets to the NBA, and refuses things based on his anxiety.

He has a freaking disorder, nobody without an ACTUAL disorder would let anxiety prevent them from playing.

People need to be more sensitive when it comes to mental health disorders, because they are real. It sickens me to hear people call him a crazy bum. You wouldn't do the same for someone who was diagnosed with AIDS, so don't do it with anxiety.

1 person likes this.
  6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I give a "hell no" to a player that has been overrated by this board, his college days and how detrimental his ego has become to the NBA, his team and society...people have his same disorder and don't act like douchelords every chance they get.

Get this boy a Klonapin on the plane and tell him that the NBA is the BEST job in the world. You get to play ball, receive free EVERYTHING for free, live the high-live, net-work to develp your brand after your days of playing and receive endorsements left and right. The money is everywhere. Fans idolize you...

I don't get it. He uses his disability as a crutch and refuses to work with it to find a decent treatment plan.

Not only is his career going to be short lived, but his children are going to suffer because he is going to have difficulty with child support on his meager salary.

SHoot, give me Chris Douglas-Roberts. He will take a small contract and bust his ass to try to make a roster spot.

Royce STILL feels entitled after being traded to Philly. That whole team has guys with less experience than Royce, yet the coaching staff will give the ma shoot becuase they show up to work every damn day without controversy.

I coach AAU ball, along with middle school and high school ball, and I know that I have passed up on freakishly athletic players because of their mental and deficits and psychological development for players that are smart, but lack the physical gifts. And yet, I've won PLENTY of championships and tournaments.

I always say that I'd rather go to war with a smart group of Shane Battiers that are team-first oriented than deal with a bunch of Royce White/Kobe's that destroy lockerroom morale.

Yuck.

Good F'ing riddance. When you come to Houston, I'd like to see a glimpse of what Royce claims of his skill set and that the rest of the league doesn't have it.

Fool, you aren't Lebron. If anything, you are an Oliver Miller with handles and you graduated from the class of Shawn Kemp's "Baby-mama child support" for broken athletes.

Can't wait till he is no longer a discussion piece in this parts, unless it is a complete mockery of his downright shady behaviors.

If he ends up average 8 points in his career, I will be impressed.

What he doesn't know his how the ROckets bent over backwards to make it work with the transportation. Other teams, with old-school coaches, will recognize the risk is not worth the reward and send him packing back to twitter.

#bewell #Scrub #RocketsReject # DOn't bite the hand that feeds you

and....#Ni**a you are not Lebron.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's owed reasonable accomodation. But, if he still can't do the job after reasonable accomodations have been made, what are you supposed to do with that? He's not fit to work in the NBA. If he had no legs, I'd say the same thing -- it's too bad for him he has no legs, but he's not fit to play in the NBA. But a couple million bucks is a nice parting gift anyway.

1 person likes this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

-As a Rocket fan I am glad to see him go --> to much drama for my liking.
    -As a person I am happy he went to the 76ers --> fresh start but with a face he knows in Hinkie --> if it is going to happen for him this is the perfect storm.

Only the best to him --> good bye & good luck

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This has been argued plenty of times in the GARM.

The point is this guy feels entitled to living the NBA dream that he "worked his ass off to achieve".... so now he's here and decides everything should be done his way because of his disorder not to help him work out his disorder.

We all understand health issues are serious and the team(s) (Rocekts and maybe 76ers) will and have been attempting to work with him to resolve those issues, he just refuses to go about business their way. Instead he wants to pick and choose when he comes to work and which practices he attends and doesn't, pretty much using his illness as a crutch. Which definitely isn't going to make it any better for him.

He's a pompous ingrate that decides it's either his way or the highway and really it's going to end up being the highway. Literally.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree, but unfortunately, White seems to be less interested in how he can work to overcome or minimize his condition and more interested in how he can force his employer to let him do whatever he feels like doing on a particular day. That's simply not going to work in a major sports league, and his days of collecting NBA checks are numbered.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Dont fret people.

It wont be long until he is unemployed and a non-sequitur for the NBA.

The true worth of his unique skill-set will be known soon enough.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

In a related article, the Sixers give an emphatic hell no to paying Royce the full extent of his contract.

13. CertifiedTroll

@ iLookOK
    I assume you have an anxiety disorder and want pitty, or you are a troll, or else you are a morron and dont understand anxiety disorders. But Royce deserves his hate. He claimed he was thankfull for his opportunity in the NBA, then bashed the Rockets even though they gave him very unusual accomodations. He would flicker between the notion of being wise and enlightened, too immature ranting and power abuse. Not to mention he refused to play basketball for a team despite claiming to have no fear of playing..

I don't usually respond to trolls,but Royce is an idiot and it takes an even bigger idiot to not see his idiocracy.

1 person likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Great post. iLookOK didn't seem to read Dwyer's piece at ball don't lie, as Dwyer admits he himself fights the disorder but goes on to lay it out plainly.

Nobody made Royce volunteer for the NBA draft. There are basic needs to playing in the NBA, including lots of travel. It's a work requirement. He either lied to teams before the draft or lied to teams after the draft.

Anyone who spends more time on Dr. Phil than their supposed profession is pretty much beyond pity in my book.

15. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Huh??? iLookOK might not be entirely in the right, but he is pretty clearly not a troll; on the other hand your username is CertifiedTroll

16. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

He just accused another poster with "I assume you have an anxiety disorder and want pitty" off the bat, based merely on the fact that he defended Royce. How is that a great post?

1 person likes this.
  17. gambingo

gambingo Member

I wish the team had booked him all his Dleague bus rides instead of providing him with the RV. This con artist had more action and subsequent baby mama drama than he ever did with the Vipers.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

This guy could have been so good...that's the frustrating part. I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because of his anxiety but honestly he might be pouring it on a little too thick

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

One thing I find interesting - he IS within reasonable driving distance of a lot more games in Philadelphia. New York, Brooklyn, Boston are all pretty close. Even Cleveland, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Detroit and Toronto are closer (10 hours or less) to Philadelphia than most anywhere outside of San Antonio, Dallas, and New Orleans were to the Rockets (maybe Memphis?).

In theory, the amount of games he would have to fly to attend could dramatically increase now that he is on the East Coast. Could they possibly be considering that?

20. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

With my short term memory may he and his antics soon be forgotten. Hope nobody ever start a thread about him again, because I might click on it by accident and all his CRAP be remembered. What a waste of draft pick.