1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Rogers is also gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, May 24, 2019.

1. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Now it’s 100 percent sure. He doesn’t like playing under thibs. He’s not trying to back to Chicago days. What makes you think this coming here he’s horrible coach. You can be up 20 points and he ll still have his stars in to play final 2 min game and try get them hurt he doesn’t know when to sub out. He has a problem with that.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

I don't even like the concept of a "defensive coordinator" in basketball. This isn't football where your defensive unit is 11 completely different players. That's more understandable.

In basketball it's the same 5 players that are playing both offense and defense, so it's a lot more interconnected. The HEAD COACH should be fluent in both subjects and clearly D'Antoni has only cared about the former, and it's always been his downfall.

snowconeman22 and J.R. like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with this, our defense was horrendous when he was in charge early in the season.

This is just simply not true, we were bottom 10 at best.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Remember when they were hiring DMA, many people, including myself, didn't think it was a good idea? The main reason was that our offense was already pretty good but we were a poor defensive team. We asked, "Why do we need an offensive coach when it's our defense that needs to be fixed?"

After MDA came, we continue to be mediocre on the defensive side, until last season. Somehow we suddenly became good, and defense was what took the Warriors to 7 games in the WCF. Maybe after all these years of chasing stars, Morey finally realized that we needed a good defensive culture to contend.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To be fair, MDA might not have been the direction Morey wanted to go in the first place. Was it a Les move, wanting more scoring? And maybe Hakuna Fertitta is in a "cheaper to keep'er" mode with another year on MDA's contract and Kevin "Play harder!" [clap clap clap] McHale finally coming off the books. Tough to know what stories are true, but I don't think all these hires are strictly on Morey.

Last summer's free agent debacle and the attitude you can build chemistry on the fly? Yes, I blame Morey 153% on that.

Easy and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I was saying before the deadline Green would be like perfect for us. That would’ve allowed us to move PJ to the 3 and solve our rebounding problems. Temple would’ve for sure helped too but it sounds like we got screwed on that deal

snowconeman22 and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I now have a real dislike for Pat Riley.

lockedin34 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

It is true though, we were trending upward, I gave my proof on page 5 of this thread.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, although we will probably never know, I do believe that most coaching changes were owner directed, at least during the Les era.

The McHale hire got a lot of flaks from the beginning. The subsequent extension and then the firing was inexplicably stupefying. The D'Antoni hire was also questionable. Because of the relative success we had in the past three seasons, we kind of gradually warmed to MDA. Now the defense dropped off again and the old questions about coaching surfaced again.

Just a side note. Morey has been quoted to say that coaching does not really move the needle much. Not sure if he still believes that.

snowconeman22 and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I remember the Morey quote about coaches. I think he might have added that maybe such-and-so coach might make a difference of [fill in number here: 2, 3?] more wins. To which it would now be easy to say, "Since we were within one Rockets collapse + Paul George 3-pointer / not-to-mention-any-other-one-of-many-horrific-losses of getting the #2 seed, what do you say now, Home-Boooooooy?"

pippendagimp and Easy like this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What about games we could/should have lost and won?

Just looking back on games we lost doesn’t paint the entire picture.

Injuries? Hard to argue that there was anything that cost us more Ws than injuries this year.

HP3 likes this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We were slightly trending upward over the course of about a week or two, but still near last in the league.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

We were top 6 for the whole month of November. Thats a fact and thats not slight.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is complete nonsense. Just looked it up, we were 25th for the month of November. Utter garbage. C'mon man.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry, that was my fault. I made a mistake with that. It was from the 23rd of October to the 19th of November, so almost a month. And we were top 7 not top 6. https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&Month=2&CF=TEAM_NAME*E*&DateFrom=10/23/2018&DateTo=11/19/2018

So yea, I would say my point stands.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I remember we had a solid couple weeks but that was a small sample size within a several month stretch of trash defense.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

It was a month of the season where we had only played like 1 or 2 at that point.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see how you could justify a good (not great) two or three week stretch after a completely horrendous/embarrassing start as reason for keeping the guy.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

It was almost a month and it was top 7 in the league. Top 10 is always really good. It doesnt justify anything, Im just telling you we were playing well defensively before he came back. I wanted him to come back too. Like I said I love Jeff and I hate that hes gone.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great is top 5. It was a good stretch but the start of the season was horrendous overall. We were around 7th last year at least, so starting that awful and barely getting back briefly to where we were last season isn't anything impressive. Our defense this year was just not good enough. Jeff was great last year but he failed in his role this year.