1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Round 1: Denver Nuggets vs San Antonio Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AstroRocket, Apr 22, 2007.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

[​IMG]

Okay, I wanted to be able to create at least one Western Conference thread. :)

Basically this series comes down to AI and Melo vs the Spurs defense and tempo. Can the Nuggets stars manage manage to overcome the methodical nature of San Antonio, or will they succumb, like countless teams before them? Personally, I'm taking SA in 6. But I really wouldn't be all that shocked if Denver could pull this one out in 7. If they can just keep on their end of the regular season roll (defensively as well as offensively), they may pose a real threat.

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I'm also taking the Spurs in 6. This series could actually be the best of the first round as long as the Nuggets don't go down 0-2. If they do its over in 5.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Spurs need TP to abuse the Nuggets and Manu needs to step up like he usually does in the playoffs. I'm thinking the combination of Camby and the new and improved Nene could give TD trouble. On the Nuggets side, they need AI to dominate. Melo also needs to post up Bruce Bowen instead of just shooting jumpers. Of course, if the jumpers are going in the Spurs could have problems.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm going to say Nuggets in 6. I don't know why, it's just a gut feeling

5. FFz

FFz Member

i got the spurs sweeping. The spurs were ROLLING going into this and Denver doesn't play defense. It'll be a massacure. I want to see at least 2 blow outs.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't see the Spurs blowing away Denver or sweeping them. Denver is on fire as well and they have the potential to play good defense, which they probably will in the playoffs. Backcourts dictates styles in the playoffs and Denver's backcourt is going to cause the Spurs trouble. That being said, I'm going with San Antonio in 6.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Let's go Nuggets! *clap clap clapclapclap*

I don't understand the "Spurs sweep" comments that I've seen all over the interweb the last week or the "Spurs blowout". The Spurs are the better team, hell, even I picked them. That said, the Nugs are playing HOT ball right now. We were 10-1 in April. Wins at LAL, LAC, Utah and NOK and wins at home against Dallas and the Lakers. The only loss was to Memphis the second night of a back-to-back on the day after we clinched the playoff spot. Anyone other than the Death Star Spurs, and I'd be picking the Nugs to win (but I'm a huge homer). We play solid defense (not Houston levels, but as explained in the other thread, decent levels) and we have a dangerous offense.

The Nugs are finally clicking and could be dangerous. I think the Spurs win in 6, but there will be no blowouts.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Because the Nuggets were smoking hot last year and got massacred.

9. FFz

FFz Member

The only chance they have is if AI somehow gets duncan into foul trouble. Thats the only chance the nuggets have. AI goes 1 on 5 and somehow draws fouls on TD. Even then you got Elson or Fabrico coming off the bench and they're not that easy to score on either. I just don't see them nuggets winning the series or even a game. Spurs sweep.

10. Sextuple Double

If Joey Crawford was still officiating, I would pick Nuggets in 5.

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

spurs in 7, the Nuggets will give them problems

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It will take no less than 6 games for the Spurs to win this one.

However, I will make the 'brave' pick and say Nuggets in 7.

GO NUGGETS! You've got some fans right here in H-Town, Nuggets4. I've got your back. :)

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Lets go Nuggets!!!!!!

Although I doubt they're going to win more than 2.

14. FFz

FFz Member

jesus the at&t center is LOUD!

15. RocksMillenium

I agree, Denver is capable of winning this series. I say the Spurs in 6 just because I think this is a swing series. Iverson and Anthony are capable of taking over games and Camby is a force down low. Steve Blake has settled the Nuggets backcourt and overall team down. This is a dangerous team that is not scared of San Antonio and will give them problems.

16. RocksMillenium

Which means nothing because the Nuggets are far more experienced and Iverson brings a winning attitude to the Nuggets along with Camby. They have been on conference championship teams. And Iverson also gives the Nuggets not only another take over guy, but and MVP player.

17. FFz

FFz Member

alright i might have been wrong with my spurs sweep statement... AI is just wow right now. If AI plays like he played game 1 of the finals... it'll be a long series for spurs.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Carmelo just treated Ginobili like a cheap suit.

Amazing crossover and dunk!!!

Someone post the video....

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Denver has to have one of the worst benches in the Association.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

And rarely does momentum coming into the playoffs mean anything in the NBA. This isn't the NCAA tournament where the hottest team can go on a streak and steal a game from a superior team. Playoff series prevent that kind of stuff from happening opposed to the one and done format the NCAA and NFL use. The whole 10-1 talk about the Nuggets being hot means nothing.