1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rotator cuff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 11, 2018.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This is why I put on a Salonpas patch when I fap.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There's old, then there's aging. Old is a state of mind. Your body can age, but you can have an awesome attitude and outlook. You can also not be fat, which exacerbates aging issues.

[​IMG]

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If you’re suppose to wear the sling for 10 more days, wear it. It’s a blip in time and you may be glad you did. I’m sure it sucks, but it’s there for a reason.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree: you don't want to increase your chance of screwing up the healing process or setting yourself back.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You sound like a couple of people who haven't worn a sling. ;)

I could screw up the repair. I understand the biggest risk is causing the biceps tendonesis (attaching the tendon directly to the bone instead of the labrum) to fail, and then my bicep tendon would have to be repaired again. That means doing it all again, essentially, which as a finance professional I would call a total loss. But multiply that by the likelihood of it happening without a sling. What's that? 10%? 1%? 0.1%? Doc wouldn't give me a statistic on failure rates. Now, compare that unknown risk to the certain but hard-to-quantify costs of 21 days in a sling: discomfort, inconvenience, bruising of the rib, loss of sleep, impairment on driving and typing (imagine how many bbs posts you're missing because of this sling!), impacts on fashion, etc. Of course, you have to also subtract some of the benefits (aside from risk mitigation) from the costs: arm does get tired with excessive freedom, signals to numbnuts they shouldn't punch you in the arm to get your attention, sympathy sex, etc. It's a complicated calculus that medical instructions don't even begin to consider.

So here's what I'm actually doing. Will wear the sling during higher risk activities like cleaning, walking around in public, drinking, etc, and removing it for low risk activities especially when the sling is problematic like when sitting and typing, taking a piss, eating dinner, etc. I can't quite decide though if sleeping is a high risk or low risk activity. It's low in that I'm not doing much. It might be high because my situational awareness and self-control are impaired. But the costs of the sling are also highest when I'm trying to sleep.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just a random question: would you perchance be on painkillers right now?:D

Xerobull and JuanValdez like this.