1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Since we seem to have a stacked team I am wondering what our starting lineup will look like and how the rotations will play out.

I think the starting lineup

PG - SF3 / MJames / ABrooks
    SG - TMac / Bonzi / LHead
    SF - Battier / Snyder
    PF - Scola / Hayes
    C - Yao / Butler / Deke

Having Francis start with the first team provides us better balance and allows us to bring shooters off the bench. ABrooks may need a year to develop but I definately see him as our PG of the future and to be used in small ball situations.

I like Bonzi coming in at SG because he provides a different look from Tmac and continues to put pressure on the defense. I actually see the Bonz as the first guy off the bench every game.

LHead was a top 3pt shooter last year and you can never have enough shooters but I dont know where he could find any time.

Battier keeps his SF spot with Kirk coming in to bring a different look and provide height and athletic ability when we need it.

Scola is the starter by default because Hayes is just too small and is a liability on offense. Adelman likes 5 x 5 basketball and with Hayes we are handcuffed.

I like Butler get minutes off the bench to groom him as our backup Center of the future. I would like Deke to help develop Butler this year and then find a spot as a big man coach next year for Adelman so he can retire a Rocket and continue his good work. I hope the deke does find a position within the wrox organization.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm sorry but Snyder needs to go. I'd prefer Mike Harris, or have Bonzi be the back-up SF instead with Luther behind Tracy.

Steve Francis will likely be the starting PG, IMO. The fans won't accept anything less.

What happens to Carl Landry? What a waste of a pick especially if we trade for front court depth.

Though Luther needs to get traded while his value is still high, it could diminish with the posisble lack of playing time this season.

IMO, the projected rotation (by the end of the season) should be:

PG: Steve Francis/ Aaron Brooks
    SG: Tracy McGrady/ Mike James
    SF: Shane Battier/ Bonzi Wells/ Mike Harris
    PF: *Bring in starting PF here by trade*/ Luis Scola/ Chuck Hayes/ Steve Novak/ Carl Landry --------Geez.
    C: Yao Ming/ Jackie Butler/ Dikembe Mutombo

That bench provides deadly outside scoring with penetration by the backcourt, post-scoring by Bonzi, and whatever Luis can give.

Starting line-up gives a lot of fire power and scoring threats.

3. pillage

pillage Member

I think the Rockets should mix and match their rotation and lineups according to their opponents. Not like Dallas playing to the Warriors style of play, but rather taking advantage of the other teams weaknesses.

PG can be played by James, Francis, Brooks
    SG can be played by T-mac, Bonzi, James, Francis
    SF can be played by, T-Mac, Battier, Bonzi, Novak
    PF can be played by, Scola, Hayes, Butler, Novak
    C can be played by, Yao, Deke, Butler

Adelman can plug whoever in whatever position to take advantage of the other team. T-Mac could even freelance at PF when playing small teams or Dallas (aka Dirk). The best thing about the depth on this team is that its so versatile.

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

2007-08 Rotation
    1) Steve Francis / Mike James / Aaron Brooks
    2) Tracy McGrady / Luther Head
    3) Shane Battier / Bonzi Wells
    4) Luis Scola / Chuck Hayes / Steve Novak
    5) Yao Ming / Dikembe Mutombo

Inactive List: Kirk Snyder, Jackie Butler, Carl Landry

----------------------------------

I haven't decided where Adelman rather have Snyder's athleticism or Novak's shooting. Those two can be interchangeable. If Jackie Butler plays well, he could become the full time back up center. I see Bonzi Wells getting the most minutes off the bench, but Mike James will be close to the same minutes though.

5. jethro5401

jethro5401 Member

I am a little confused at the idea that Mike James can play SG. Steve yes because he's always been sort of a combo guard, but I don't remember Mike James playing any SG when he was with the Rockets, although I could be mistaken.

PG: Steve, Mike James
    SG: T-Mac, Luther
    SF: Shane, Bonzi, Snyder
    PF: Scola, Hayes
    C: Yao, Butler

Bonzi and Mike James to be the first off the bench, then probably Chuck.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd say PT will be split up something like this:

yao (36mpg)
    scola (24)
    shane (30)
    tmac (36)
    steve (30)
    -----------
    james 18mpg behind steve + 6 behind tmac = (24mpg)
    bonzi 18mpg behind shane + 6 behind tmac = (24mpg)
    hayes (24)
    deke or whoever rafe ris traded for (12)

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

as long as brooks gets 18+ mins ill be happy, and i think he will b/c adelman loves him.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

kevin martin (also a 26th pick) avg 10 mins in around 40 games in his rookie year.

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

landry is not a waste just because we could (and should) trade for a reliable contributor at the four. landry has offensive tools and athleticism, why not take a low-cost risk on him. who else do you take at that pick, where else should we add depth? we dont need anymore guards and IMO all positive swingmen/big men were taken.

i agree that we need a banger with quick feet, and interior presence. scoring wont have to be a priority, the 4 spot next to YAO should bring added blocks and rebounds before anything. i think scola has potential to be this, but then again i thought vspan would be a star

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

NBDL......

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

This is how it should be
    PG: James/Alston/Brooks
    SG: Tmac/SF3
    PF: Scola/Chuck/hopefully we will pick up someone else here
    SF: Battier/Bonzi/Snyder if not traded
    C: Yao/Deke/Butler

I believe JLII is gone along with maybe rafer sura and head

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Yao/(Rafer's trade result)/Butler/Mutombo
    Scola/Hayes/(Rafer's trade result)
    Battier/McGrady/Snyder
    McGrady/Bonzi
    Francis/James/Brooks

Rockets are pretty thin at the 3 spot. Bonzi would come off the bench for Battier, and Tmac would slide to the 3 spot. Then, when Tmac gets his breather, Battier checks in for him. Maybe they should have drafted a swingman with that Landry pick.

I don't like the idea of playing James or Francis at the 2 spot, unless they play small ball against the likes of Phoenix, Golden State, etc.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not like any of the other guys at 31 are likely to be ready to pull heavy minutes and give you quality play right away on a playoff team in his first year. They didn't have the Scola trade done yet, and could not count on it yet.

In any case, Landry is and will be a longer-term project and a current insurance policy (or even trade bait). Morey consistently said he was seeking veteran help via (most likely) trade or FA.

14. blender

blender Member

good point about Mutombo. It would be great if he would accept such a role on the Rockets. It would certainly solve our backup center question.

In fact, if Mutombo and other players who played major roles last year like Hayes, Head and Alston were to accept fewer minutes and become true "role players", then we could have an incredible bench. The question is though would they be willing to do so. Would they be willing to accept last year as an anamoly, swallow their pride and give it their all for 10 or so minutes a game or less?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know how Adelman generally likes his rotations, but I really feel we need a deeper rotation this year to keep our top players fresh for the playoffs. Personally, I'd go with something like this.

Center: Yao 35mpg | Deke/Butler 13 mpg(whoever wins the spot)
    Power Forward: Scola + Hayes 45-48 mpg depending on Scola's development
    Small Forward: Battier 30 mpg | T-Mac 18 mpg
    Shooting Guard: T-Mac 17 mpg | Bonzi 15-20 mpg | Head 8-13 mpg
    Point Guard: James 24 mpg | Francis 24 mpg (Alston in case one of our PG plays like crap)

Basically, a 10 men rotation for the most part, with no player playing more than about 35 mpg. For the playoffs, then it obviously depends on the match up. But I'd take out at least one guard and perhaps our backup C for an 8-man rotation.

16. rox2007

rox2007 Member

We build team to win PLAYOFF, so rotations should base on who has playoff xperience and heart to win, i got these:

yao, Scola, Batt, Tmac, SF3
    Wells, MJ, hayes

1、Heart and Winner
    Yao: heart, big game experience, MVP and Champion title
    Scola: what say? he's winner, MVP and Champion title
    Battier: see his playoff since joined the Nation Team

2、Good playoff stats
    T-Mac: enough
    SF3: only once but impresive, without fear facing KB
    Wells: playoff seccess with Kings

3、Maybe
    Mike J
    Hayes

4、Cant rely on
    Alston: cant shoot
    Head: should give another playoff try, see if improve
    JH: already gone
    Deke: cant hold on now from Utah series

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

First we ship off John Lucas III to NO/PHO for Cash and/or a 2nd Round Pick. Trade Rafer Alston, Justin Reed, and maybe a 2nd Rounder for Udonis Haslem. I don't think we'll need Mutombo unfortunately. Trade Bob Sura and Kirk Snyder to Indiana for Jeff Foster and some Cash or a 2nd Rounder. Resign Hayes. Sign Landry (Maybe).

C: Yao Ming - Jeff Foster - Jackie Butler
    PF: Udonis Haslem - Luis Scola - Chuck Hayes - Carl Landry (Maybe NBDL)
    SF: Shane Battier - Mike Harris - Bonzi Wells - Steve Novak (I guess)
    SG: Tracy McGrady - Bonzi Wells - Luther Head
    PG: Steve Francis - Mike James - Aaron Brooks

For roster space purposes, I think this works. If not, cut Novak, he isn't anywhere near as clutch as Luther Head. This team looks sick if we could get it done. We are only a few moves away and it is entirely possible, especially the Haslem-Alston deal, since Miami is shopping Haslem and desperately need a PG. I also like how much stronger our team would becomes not only offensively, but in rebounding. Haslem/Foster/Hayes/Butler are all good rebounders.

Here's to hoping for a few more magical moves this offseason.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Please stop with the stupid proposals for Haslem. This isn't NBA Live. There is no way the Heat would accept that. Miami fans would blasphemy you.