1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster cuts next week

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 45souf

45souf Member

only a few more hours til Kickoff...

2. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

This is what I predict the 53 man to be and the subsequent practice squad team. If a player isn't mentioned then he's been cut.

Offense: (24)
    QB: Schaub, Yates, Keenum
    HB: Foster, Tate, Karim/Wood
    FB: Jones
    TE: Daniels, Graham, Griffin
    WR: Johnson, Hopkins, Posey, Martin, Jean
    OL: Brown, Smith, Myers, Brooks, Newton, Jones, Harris, Quessenberry, Menkin

Defense: (26)
    DE: Watt, Smith, Crick, Jamison
    DT/NT: Mitchell, McClain
    OLB: Reed, Mercilus, Jefferson, Montgomery, Braman
    ILB: Cushing, Mays, Sharpton, Dobbins
    S: Reed, Manning, Swearinger, Keo, Pleasant
    CB: Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Bouye

Special Teams: (3)
    Kicker: Bullock
    Punter: Lechler
    LS: Weeks

IR: Williams, Bonner

Practice Squad:(8)

WR: Lemon
    TE: Byrne
    FB: Boren
    LB: Williams, Tuggle, Collins
    RB: Graham
    NT: Jones

I've got Graham on PS because I feel if either Karim or Wood is cut they will be picked up. I have a feeling Dennis isn't being felt much and could get picked up as well. I have a feeling Graham is being buried on the depth chart to hide him. I have also got Trevardo being cut and put on PS. He needs to really develop and make strides before I see him in any game action. I've got Tuggle just shy of the 53 man, mostly due to needed depth at the DB positions and we need Braman for ST. Collins was blowing up camp but has remained injured for the past couple weeks. He could be a PS or IR stash guy I feel.

All the trash OL guys I feel are gone. Gardner, White, & Mondek aren't worth a roster spot for even a second. I think Menkin can develop real nicely for us as a backup and the team was very high on him last year.

I like Bonner and Lemon but I only see us keeping 5 WR's. I feel one will be IR'd and the other PS'd.

The FB position is interesting. Jones is obviously the starter but do we have him in mind for the long term solution? I haven't seen anything out of Clutts and feel like he'll be picked up/traded. Boren however has shown flashes and toughness and I think we can PS stash him.

Byrne is another Wisconsin TE project of Kubiak, and Griffin without a doubt is making the team. That dude can just play. He just needs to gain weight and work on his pass pro.

3. 45souf

45souf Member

Has Bouye done enough to warrant a spot?

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think he's done enough to take Roc Carmichael's roster spot .... He's been very good in coverage.

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yes. He's outplayed Roc Carmichael in practice and game situations. I feel like they'll give Roc another year, but Bouye has shown much more. His size is also a plus.

6. larry cook

larry cook Member

How does Keo keep making the team?

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I don't even think he will get another year. I have been rooting for Carmichael to step up since we drafted him and personally, didn't think he did all that bad last preseason and in the few times he stepped up in games. But yeah but with all the talk about Bouye's play in practice and in the preseason games plus his size being better for covering outside corners I can't see them letting him get away plus with new draft picks at other positions on the line, I can't see them keeping Carmichael.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CUT BRANDON "MR. PENALTY" HARRIS!

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And who would you have take his spot in the secondary ?! Carmichael ?! One of the UDFA scrubs ?!

Most have the Texans only keeping 5 CB's this season when they normally keep 6 .... heated battles at other positions along with many predicting they keep Keenum & go with three QB's , roster spots are hard to come by.

That PI on the deep ball was actually very good coverage , piss poor call by the official.

10. 45souf

45souf Member

Harris played sub-par last night. We can't cut him because who will feel his spot? Tough decisions coming today....

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

WR: Johnson, Hopkins, Posey, Martin, Jean

Lestar Jean aint all of that. He tends to not catch the pass with his hands, opting for trapping the ball against his body. This works well as long as the ball is not thrown at his helmet.

Lemon might be a better alternative.

12. 45souf

45souf Member

Lemon missed that easy catch in the endzone, but he made up for it later. Jean did some nice things as well

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lemon is always open. Lol

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He does have a knack for getting open , Ive seen it at practice and every game it continues .... But I have to wonder if that drop in the endzone might cost me.

15. ifoundfido

ifoundfido New Member

Cut Joe Mays, dude can't tackle.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans cuts: ILB Elliot Coffey, FB Zach Boren, G Bryan Collins, OT Nick Mondek, RB Ray Graham, DE Earl Okine, CB Travis Howard, P A. Shapiro</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/372141196191076352">August 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More Texans cuts: TE Adam Schiltz and QB Stephen McGee. They have 3 more cuts to make before Tuesday deadline.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/372141453687795712">August 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>And the Texans also waived ILB Ja'Gared Davis. That's 11. They have 3 more to get down to 75.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/372141750120239104">August 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

thought they liked mondek?

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm sure they like Mondek as a project but they really can't keep a project guy when technically they already have Newton (former project guy still in development in some ways), Quessenberry (project for either Tackle or guard who knows) and B. Williams (who if ever healthy could be a project). Of the announced cuts Shapiro is the only one that really showed roster promise, although I do feel bad that Coffey and Boren got let lose.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

The biggest surprise was Shapiro. I thought they would keep him at least for Thursday's game. Lechler and Bullock are going to have to play the whole game.

20. 45souf

45souf Member

3 more cuts....