1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, Jun 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. joesr

joesr Member

Are they blocking viewership as well? Been thinking of canceling cable and just going with the apps and was hoping NBA league pass would work now.

Anyone with knowledge on this?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't understand.

NBA League Pass won't work in Houston for watching the Rockets, but it's not because of Root Sports.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The teams/NBA impose the local blackouts... not the cable networks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

NBA League pass won't work in Houston due to black-out restrictions.

You can get around this by buying LP, and using it with a VPN. However, the setup will be messy, and it typically includes you having an HDMI port on your laptop/desktop and sending it over to the TV that way. That's what I did for the 2012-2013 season as well as the 2013-2014 season

You can also use Ballstreams, which is technically illegal, but works fine for a lot of users, and they have support for multiple devices. I used it just fine all season on my Roku

1 person likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dude if you could cut the cable and still have access to your local teams tons of people, myself included, would do so in a heartbeat.

The NBA and MLB know the local TV contracts make up a huge portion of teams income, and so they are going to do everything they can to protect those cable contracts. The league mandates the local blackout restrictions to people without cable across the country, not just here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I do agree that every sports network should provide a mobile streaming option for cable/satellite subscribers.

That is the one way they can keep potential cord-cutters in the fold and recruit new ones. Otherwise, cable/satellite packages will eventually die and all channels will have a stand-alone streaming product that you can subscribe directly to.

7. joesr

joesr Member

Ghetto. I always thought CSN was resposible for blackouts even with LP. Doesn't make sense tho I know local channels have play sports before.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Speaking of Root Sports, I'm extremely close to cutting the cord and went online earlier this week to downgrade my DirecTV package down to their cheapest option. Just wanting to test it out and wean myself off of cable.

Turns out that DirecTV's two cheapest option don't offer Root Sports, so I settled for the third cheapest. EXTREMELY irritating and even more motivation for me to cut the cord.

All I need is HBO, ESPN, TNT, Root Sports, and locals. My wife needs OWN and Lifetime. And the little one needs Disney. So I'm going to take a really good look at Sling TV and start to read reviews for OTA HD antennas.

I think I'm really going to do this down the line.

#8 HR Dept, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm there with you. All I need is HBO and an ability to watch the Rockets games. My wife would prefer to have some stuff like HG TV and ABC Family, but she can do without. So for me it's looking like I'm gonna go with the Comcrap Blast + HBO package and re-up my Ballstreams.

I don't really know much about antennas but I'll probably get those for our 3 TVs as well.

10. joesr

joesr Member

Wifey suggested Sling as well. We already cut ties with Comcast. Everything cept internet. Plan on going with all the common apps to see if we can keep up with our shows like that.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm with Sling. ESPN, TNT, LifeTime, and Disney are in the $20 package. Add $15 for HBO.

Plus get a nice OTA HD Antenna (the flat one you can stick to a window work wonders for me)

Couple that with a prepaid subscription to Ballstreams, and you'll be good to go

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It almost make TOO much sense.

I'm currently paying around $130/month for DirecTV. (DVR w/ three Genie Clients, Choice package, HBO, Starz/Showtime (free for three months), and Equipment Protection.) Plus $80/month for Comcast Internet and around $9/month for Netflix. So that's no less than $219/month for home entertainment.

Compare that to $80/month for Comcast Internet, $45/month for SlingTV + HBO and Sports/Kids add-on, and $9 for Netflix. Add Amazon Prime for $100/year or roughly $8/month and I'm looking at saving over $75 a month in comparison to DirecTV. And every TV in my home is already connected to either an Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, or Xbox One.

One month of those savings would likely cover a Ballstreams subscription for an entire season, so the incentive is definitely there.

BTW, someone should start a "Cord-Cutters Thread".

13. joesr

joesr Member

How does the Ballstreams service work? Do they bypass the blackouts?

14. joesr

joesr Member

Anyone? What is the quality like?

15. joesr

joesr Member

Nm looking into it now. They have up 720. But why do they call it donations in stead of just servicing fee?? Heh.

16. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Yep, there are no blackouts. I've used it the past 2 years and the quality is pretty good. It lags every once in a while, but other than that, I don't have any complaints. As long as you have decently fast internet, you should be good

17. joesr

joesr Member

ty ty!!!