1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Milby Buff, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Milby Buff

Milby Buff Member

All athletes are arrogant that's what makes them so competitive. I hear a lot of Ben Simmons talk but don't see him as much as I've seen Donovan Mitchell (My Vote for ROY). I strongly believe Simmons' lack of shooting will be exposed early in the playoffs with the defenses turned up, for goodness sake he has only attempted eleven 3 pointers all year and missed them all.

Your Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...6ers-ben-simmons-says-100-percent-rookie-year

PHILADELPHIA -- 76ers rookie Ben Simmons made it clear who he believes should win the Rookie of the Year award.

"Who would I pick? Me, 100 percent," Simmons told ESPN at the Ritz-Carlton in downtown Philadelphia on Saturday.

"I think I have been playing solid all year," he continued. "If you look at the numbers, you will see. People who know the game know."

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Philly has a 14 game winning streak, and Embiid has missed a lot of them.

That is strong evidence right there. But just to add some statistical backing, he is averaging a triple double, shooting 61% from the field with a 4 to 1 ast to TO ratio over that stretch. All while playing stifling defense. He is an absolute monster right now, even with very poor shooting ability. If he does develop that shot properly, he is gonna be an all time great.

In a normal year, Mitchell would be a runaway ROY victor, but objectively the only thing he does a little better is score (20 to 16). Simmons is a much better play maker, a much better rebounder, and a much better defender. I was on the fence until this closing stretch where Simmons is carrying the team.

Williamson and Milby Buff like this.
  3. AFS

AFS Member

Ben Simmons is a hell of a player. Has incredible court vision and size. But I hate the concept of the injury-redshirt ROY. Ben Simmons shouldn't be considered a rookie this year, and even if he wasn't playing last year, he benefited from working with the team and coaching staff. Because of that, I'd go with Mitchell for ROY.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Like seal said, this current stretch without embiid is the deciding factor for me. Both have been great all year and it’s been pretty even but Simmons has been spectacular here recently.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Simmons is probably deserving of all NBA. He's amazing.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, Ben Simmons is not a rookie. He had an entire year to get stronger and study and get accustomed to NBA life.

He should be disqualified, imo.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Can someone please change title to "ROY 2017-2018" or similar... thanks.

8. Mr. Dominant

I disagree... anybody can get stronger and study to get acclimated to NBA life. Ben didn't play his first year, therefore he should be eligible to be considered as ROY.

But don't get me wrong, I do see where you're coming from... a lot of my friends think the same way. It's definitely a tough one.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. kiwirocketsfan

I'm of the opinion that Simmons isn't a rookie. He's had a year in the NBA before this season.

I'd be tempted to split the award, Mitchell has been amazing in carrying a bigger load on a worse team.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But not with NBA practices, trainers and coaches.

Personally I think it's more impressive to come from a HS/College atmosphere, and experience the entire grind for the very first time. Even if Ben is not disqualified, I think this should be considered in the voting.

Wapzoe likes this.
  11. Mr. Dominant

Yeah, there's a lot to be accounted for. The trainers and coaches standpoint alone is a huge advantage. But come on, we all know Ben had it in him to a certain degree that he would perform somewhat to this caliber. I really am curious to see how this all goes down. Honestly, whether it's Don Mitch or Simmons, I'll be happy. Both have been balling out like crazy.

With the way the media has been voting all absurdly ala Harden not winning those 2 other MVPs, as this year should be his 3rd MVP... I wouldn't be surprised if the correct procedure would be to not let Simmons be eligible, but them allowing him to be, and winning it too.

I'm excited about this one... even though it has nothing to do with the Rockets, haha.

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ben Simmons is a light skin version of Lebron but right now the roty goes to Mitchell. The 76ers are underachieving with more while the Jazz are hot hot while being less talented.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

tatum, amirite?

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Most improved then?

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Comeback Player of the Year

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He went full LeBron

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree with this.
    The fact that you have been working with PROs for a year
    while Mitchell was still in the NCAA
    give Simmons an advantage

Rocket River

18. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

I'm for Donovan. He's led a team with a lesser supporting cast..in the west.

19. MystikArkitect

It's weird but true. ROY isn't seen in the same light as DPOY or MVP or even MIP because maintaining success is a lot harder then getting success, but it's still an accolade. Ben has had a year to study film, defenses, and two offseasons to perfect his game against NBA level competition. Donovan only had one.

I'd give it to Donovan because he's a *true* rookie. Oh yeah and he has the freaking Jazz competing for 3rd seed in the West.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Simmons. Dude's balling like an all-star. Was there any debate when Griffin won over Wall 7 years ago? I'm fixing to necro bump if I find it.