1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Dec 30, 2016.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Mike Tyson won 26 straight fights over a 4 year span following Cus D'Amoto's death. Try again, William B. Goodrich.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Some revisionist history going on here.

Jordan is regarded as one of the best defensive guards ever and actually studied and refined his techniques like a coach would show his players; how to get in the correct defensive stance, how use and move his hands, how to move laterally while defending. His Tar Heel system upbringing under Dean Smith reflected in this as he was very much a student of the game and not just an athletic freak. Scottie Pippen would have never became the defensive stud that he was if not for Jordan, Scottie learned from Jordan and not the other way around. Why did Phil stick Pippen on the best opposing wing player? Because Jordan shouldered much of the offensive load, why tire out Jordan on D when he has to carry the team on offense?

As for Tyson, Cus D'amato and Kevin Rooney did indeed make Tyson into a student of the boxing. He had the bobbing and weaving gloves up peek a boo style that Cus taught him and was tough to get a clean hit on. It was when Don King took over and had Tyson fire Rooney that Tyson's skills start eroding (Spinks fight last one that Rooney was with Tyson).

Rousey was more like Brittney Griner, dominating smaller weaker opponents, until now.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

His style changed. Don King kept sending him patsies. I, as well as other, believe that Tyson would be the best all time had Cus been with him through his tenure.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

Jordan was great at what he was great at and you and many others focus on this and forget his weaknesses. The guy was only a great perimeter defender. He couldn't box out, he was getting most of his steals outside the middle, he couldn't defend the paint.. he was not an all around good defender. Pippen was a great defensive player and a great of all time. There is no revision by me, only your impartial jordan-hugging memory. Hakeem was the greatest ever because he dominated all facets of the game.

5. don grahamleone

Cus never taught him how to box. He taught him how to dodge punches as he took a fight to his opponent. He beat up chumps. Buster Douglas was hardly a great boxer, but the things Cus taught Tyson couldn't help him in that fight. Tyson and MJ lacked the necessary skills to be elite on defense. Sure they both had good systems designed to hide flaws, but those systems would eventually be figured out by Douglas and Mad Max.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ugh. You are wrong. Tyson was a brawler prior to Cus. He made him into what he was. Anyone who doubts that more than likely didn't follow Tyson's career.

7. don grahamleone

I didn't say he didn't know how to brawl or fight. He was supreme at those two things. He was even a pretty good boxer, but he wasn't a great boxer. If you want to teach a kid how to box, you don't say "go be like Tyson". You teach him or her the things that Holyfield did, or Ali, Frazier, Mayweather, Sugar Ray, Roy Jones Jr, Joe Louis, or even George Foreman, but you sure as **** don't teach a kid to walk into the opponent with no other option other than punching your way out. This isn't the Art of War by Sun Tzu, it's boxing. The art of convincing your opponent they've lost is done in a ring where there is no high ground or preferable conditions. When a true boxer got Tyson into a situation that didn't favor him, he was lost. True boxers whooped him. I think you're still stuck on Mike Tyson's Punchout. He can be beat... just survive the first round.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

You speak like you know the game. I was a wrestler for years; and I'm talking greco wrestling. I know my nonsense.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Dude stop, it's embarrassing. One doesn't have to be a Jordan Stan in order to see what you wrote is highly and factually incorrect. But sure, keep going if you want.

10. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

11. don grahamleone

Yep, I boxed for a few

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Oooh you sure pegged me correctly...apart from the fact I'm from where Hakeem is from and became a Rockets fan because of Dream(like so many others from that country) and I'm a bigger Pippen fan(despite his Rockets stint) than a Jordan fan...but nah, carry on chief. Keep outing yourself with ridiculous analogies that have no factual basis in order to defend your position.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I thought Rousey would have taken a warm/tune up fight first. And to choose a striker as her first opponent back? Hindsight and all that, but it just seemed like a poor decision to take on a heavy handed striker with your first fight back after a year lay off after getting knocked out by a boxer.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you tried to emulate RJJ you would get knocked out. He was a freak athlete which allowed him to box the way he did. In his prime I would take him over anyone, but his style required his insane speed. When his athleticism left he started getting knocked out. I think it would be easier to emulate Bhop or Mayweather or even wink wright.

don grahamleone and Yung-T like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This x100. Actually, nearly all boxers he mentioned were freakishly gifted in a certain area and heavily benefited from that. Not really the examples you mention to help someone when it comes to textbook or adaptable style.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And not just any heavy handed striker, the hardest hitting female striker in the weight class and it's not close at all with over a decade of boxing experience and even more BJJ experience and competent Judo skills. I don't think there is anything Rousey could have done to change the outcome, but you're right, she REALLY needed at least one or two tune up fights to make it out of the first minute.

17. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Rousey looked great against fighters who were average at best strikers. She even had a few fights against some girls who were poor strikers where she was able to outstrike them and that lead to her false sense of entitlement with her hands. In the Holm fight she wanted to exchange with her instead of trying to take her down and tap her out and she got slaughtered by a world class female boxer. Then she fights Nunez who has great power for the class and the ability to land from different levels and gets put away fast.

If you have good take down defense and either good power with your hands or know what your doing with them there is nothing Rousey can do to combat that.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I love Tyson, but he is a bit overrated when you look at the big name fighters he beat (Burbick, Spinks, Old Holmes) and the greats he was destroyed by or didn't fight (Holyfield, Lewis, *Riddick Bowe). There is a large gulf between those two groups of fighters.

Comparing Rousey to Tyson though is a big stretch -- Rhonda's career is weak compared to Tyson.