1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul on the Fed, North Korea and the TSA Revolt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. rtsy

rtsy Member

great as always.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EZRRL7qI15k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EZRRL7qI15k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

11/23/2010

Ron Paul appeared on the Alex Jones Show to discuss the Federal Reserve, North Korea and the growing TSA Revolt.

Ron Paul is America's leading voice for limited, constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, a return to sound monetary policies, and a sensible foreign policy that puts America first.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The fact that he appeared on the Alex Jones show keeps him in the crackpot camp as far as I'm concerned.

3. rtsy

rtsy Member

100x more real than Obama and The View.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Alex Jones... seriously, Dr. Paul?

5. Rashmon

Where you choose to appear speaks volumes.

6. rtsy

rtsy Member

He doesn't discriminate to get the message out. Breaks all barriers - good for him.

7. YaosDirtyStache

I have never understood the Paul supporters.

Once in one of my senior business courses my professor took a week to show us via simulations what would happen to the economy if Mr Pauls free market policies were enacted...

Needless to say it was not pretty...I laugh at any Paul supporter who believes he can change anything.

He should stick to riling up his base and leave us thinkin folk alone.

8. rtsy

rtsy Member

Congressman Ron Paul
    U.S. House of Representatives
    July 16, 2002

“Mr. Speaker, I rise to introduce the Free Housing Market Enhancement Act. This legislation restores a free market in housing by repealing special privileges for housing-related government sponsored enterprises (GSEs). These entities are the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie), the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie), and the National Home Loan Bank Board (HLBB). According to the Congressional Budget Office, the housing-related GSEs received $13.6 billion worth of indirect federal subsidies in fiscal year 2000 alone.

One of the major government privileges granted these GSEs is a line of credit to the United States Treasury. According to some estimates, the line of credit may be worth over $2 billion. This explicit promise by the Treasury to bail out these GSEs in times of economic difficulty helps them attract investors who are willing to settle for lower yields than they would demand in the absence of the subsidy. Thus, the line of credit distorts the allocation of capital. More importantly, the line of credit is a promise on behalf of the government to engage in a massive unconstitutional and immoral income transfer from working Americans to holders of GSE debt.

The Free Housing Market Enhancement Act also repeals the explicit grant of legal authority given to the Federal Reserve to purchase the debt of housing-related GSEs. GSEs are the only institutions besides the United States Treasury granted explicit statutory authority to monetize their debt through the Federal Reserve. This provision gives the GSEs a source of liquidity unavailable to their competitors.

Ironically, by transferring the risk of a widespread mortgage default, the government increases the likelihood of a painful crash in the housing market. This is because the special privileges of Fannie, Freddie, and HLBB have distorted the housing market by allowing them to attract capital they could not attract under pure market conditions. As a result, capital is diverted from its most productive use into housing. This reduces the efficacy of the entire market and thus reduces the standard of living of all Americans.

However, despite the long-term damage to the economy inflicted by the government’s interference in the housing market, the government’s policies of diverting capital to other uses creates a short-term boom in housing. Like all artificially-created bubbles, the boom in housing prices cannot last forever. When housing prices fall, homeowners will experience difficulty as their equity is wiped out. Furthermore, the holders of the mortgage debt will also have a loss. These losses will be greater than they would have otherwise been had government policy not actively encouraged over-investment in housing.

Perhaps the Federal Reserve can stave off the day of reckoning by purchasing GSE debt and pumping liquidity into the housing market, but this cannot hold off the inevitable drop in the housing market forever. In fact, postponing the necessary but painful market corrections will only deepen the inevitable fall. The more people invested in the market, the greater the effects across the economy when the bubble bursts.

No less an authority than Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has expressed concern that government subsidies provided to the GSEs make investors underestimate the risk of investing in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Mr. Speaker, it is time for Congress to act to remove taxpayer support from the housing GSEs before the bubble bursts and taxpayers are once again forced to bail out investors misled by foolish government interference in the market. I therefore hope my colleagues will stand up for American taxpayers and investors by cosponsoring the Free Housing Market Enhancement Act.”

9. cml750

cml750 Member

I am sure a liberal professor could have a lot of fun doing that. A conservative professor could have fun with it too only the results would be a little different. Just because a "professor" said it would happen by running a "simulation" does not make it so. This was basically the "professor's" theory of what would happen if free market policies were enacted. Some "professors" have no idea what would happen in the "real world".

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL @ RON PAUL

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Says the middle-aged married man who stalks teenage girls through his friend's facebook page. Post of the year!

12. Rashmon

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6JyvkjSKMLw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6JyvkjSKMLw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. rtsy

rtsy Member

Hrm, I don't care about Ron Paul's views of evolution, dark matter, the big bang, black holes, abiogenesis, panspermia, worm holes, the resurrection of Jesus, reincarnation, Shiva, etc. etc. etc. because, unlike liberal statist Obama and his ilk, Paul does not desire a federal control over education and he abhors the idea of forcing his creationist view or the views of anyone else on you. From a libertarian standpoint, the importance of his doctrine of the origin of the universe is pretty freaking futile - don't sweat it.

He also said it was an inappropriate question and for good reason, his beliefs on matters like our wars, civil liberties and freedom are much, much more important.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That wasn't funny at all. Dumb post of the day.

15. YaosDirtyStache

Praytell sir, what in YOUR opinion do you think will happen if Ron Puals "free market" policies were enacted?

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Post of the year, Creeper! Your wife does not like this.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

What is your problem with DonnyMost? This is about the fifth thread I've seen you show up in only to call him a stalker, without contributing anything to the discussion at all.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

b/c a 'simulation' run by some college 'professor' (with his own inherent biases, i might add) is exactly the way it would play out in real life, isnt it? :rolleyes:

for starters, we would see an era where the government and corporations were held accountable for their actions. there would be no more corporate welfare. we wouldnt be bailing out companies that went belly-up due to their own malfeasance and greed. the government would no longer be permitted to continue as the nations largest polluter and not be subjected to the laws that everyone else must follow. we would be saving hundreds of billions a year by not engaging in unnecessary wars.

do you have an opinion or do you let your "professor" tell you what to think?

why dont you tell us what happened in your "professors" simulation?

19. Steve_Francis_rules

I would be very interested in seeing the assumptions that went into this simulation. While I agree that it doesn't necessarily reflect what would really happen, if it is actually well-informed, it probably does a better job than the typical libertarian "simulation" where all the world's problems are solved by limiting government.

Of course the government wouldn't be the largest polluter anymore, but not because they stop polluting, just because everyone else kicks it up a notch or two.

The only libertarian position I really agree with is the anti-war position, and that includes the war on drugs.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

(full disclousre - im copying and pasting this from another thread)

the problem right now is that the regulatory agencies do not work. look at the oil spill and all the failures of the regulatory agencies - they were out doing coke and having sex w/ the people they were supposed to be regulating. for decades now the oil industry and their lobbyists have been writing the laws and giving them to our elected officials to pass. the industry has its own "experts" and scientists which they trot out infront of our politicians and "regulatory" agencies, who then go off their testimony. there is nothing libertarian about that.

under the libertarian philosophy of private property rights, individuals, small businesses and cities would be able to sue for damages. congress put a $75 million dollar cap on the amount that oil companies are liable for in the event of a spill. that right there was a disincentive for BP to get their act together. again, i dont speak for the "moderate libertarian", but it seems to me that under a libertarian ideology there would have been no cap on their liability and BP would have been held criminally negligent and have been able to be sued by all the fishermen, local towns and small businesses that were impacted by their negligence - knowing that, i dont think it is a stretch to say that BP might have been a little more careful if they knew the government safety net was not there for them to fall into. here was a case of "government power" helping the corporations by putting a cap on the amount they would have to pay for damages and disincentivizing them from getting their act together.

the system we have right now is pretty f***ing corrupt. i wouldnt mind seeing one where people are actually held liable for their malfeasance. and i really wouldnt mind seeing one where the government doesnt abdicate its responsibility and actually holds these corporate criminals accountable.

on the government, they are our nations largest polluter (specifically the pentagon) and are exempt from most of its own laws. the military can pollute to its hearts content and the EPA will not enforce its own laws on them. imo, a "moderate libertarian" would want the government held to the same standards that corporations are held to and would even argue that the government could be sued for polluting.