1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Mercer may be available...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Dec 16, 1999.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Mercer not a Merry Nugget According to David Aldredge of ESPN "Despite the Nuggets' (for them) decent start, Ron Mercer hardly sounds like a guy who's planning to stick around and be part of the team's future. Mercer thought he had a contract extension worked out with Denver before he was traded from the Celtics, but Dan Issel didn't see it that way. So Mercer is playing out his final season, leading the Nuggets in scoring -- and putting out one heck of a résumé for prospective buyers next summer. "I wished I could answer it at the beginning of the season. I wish I could answer it now," Mercer said about his future. "I want to do a lot more winning. I want to look at one of the veteran teams that's used to winning."

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Questions

1)What do the rockets have to offer for Mercer?
    2)Why would hew want to be a rocket?

Answers
    1)Probably not enough. S Anderson, Walt and Rogers are options.

2)Francis

3. Jenna

Jenna Member

First of all, I think it is incredibly obvious that there is nothing going on in the league right now - why else would DA write a story about an issue that developed long before the season started?

Here's the deal: Mercer wanted a long-term deal with Boston - didn't happen. Mercer told the Celts that he would not re-sign with them at the end of the season, so they traded him to Denver, a team that was looking to unload some cap room pretty much. Mercer told Dan that he wanted an extension, Dan said no - he wanted to see how he worked in their system before making a long-term committment. So now Mercer is sulking like a 4-year old.

At this point, the Nugs like how Mercer fits in their system and they plan to try to sign him at season's end. They really don't have any intension on trading him right now - things have not progressed to a point where they feel he is a definite loss. The bottom line here: Mercer ain't going nowhere unless he decides to kill his girlfriend and then drive to a Best Western in the next state and hide in the trunk of a car.

------------------
    Jen
    How long was I telling you Shandon was coming before you believed me????

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jenna,

Re: your sig

Yes, you told us he was coming for a long time and for that we thank you... but now could you go and find him? He keeps disappearing... [​IMG]

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Jenna,

You get an A+ on the SA prediction.

Your next test question is to predict when Walt leaves.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 16, 1999).]

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Mango,
    who is Walt? I think I remember a guy by that name from the preseason . . .but i have not heard/seen him since.

Rocket River

7. RedRacer

RedRacer Contributing Member

Last I heard... the real Walt Williams is secretly abroad that MARS capsule...while the lame clone is being benched here!