1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest's ball handling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Nov 26, 2008.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

He makes his fair share of nice passes, and tonight at the end was a good example.

However, does anyone else get nervous seeing him trying to take his man off the dribble? His dribbling/driving/passing often resemble a bull in a china shop.

It would see the way to defense Artest is to force him into a semi-ISO situation. He seems to be a more effective shooter spotting up.

2. Omer

Omer Member

Yeah I'm still tryna figure out how he completely dominated us the past two seasons when he was with the Kings.

3. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

Average ball handler

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When defenses tighten up late in games and his defender has quick hands, Artest becomes a turnover machine. He has decent handles but not as good as he thinks.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

He dribbles worse than Luther Head.

6. codell

ouch ....not sure about that

Artest's ball handling seems very ......"mechanical" .....very unnatural ....if that makes sense

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What position did he play in high school and college? He (Battier too) dribbles like a PF.

8. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

What is the point in having this thread. If you watch basketball everyone knows that Ron Artest handle his suspect. This is nothing new. This needs 2 be locked

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

No I really do think he is worse than Head at dribbling. When he dribbles on a fast break I always believe there is a chance the fast break won't end well.

10. codell

Its hard to compare the two, mainly because Battier doesn't often have to dribble in ISO situations like Artest does.

I would say that I am more comfortable w/ Battier trying to get the ball into Yao than Artest. Battier has good fundamentals, protects the ball well, and doesn't often do more than he should w/ the dribble.

11. codell

No one is forcing you to participate so take a hike.

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I find myself going from thread to thread and agreeing with a lot of points made. This is one of them. There are times where you absolutely cringe when artest is driving to the paint because it's so ... I don't know bulky/clumsy of a driving style.

13. codell

akward? :)

14. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Haha, awkward would work too. Whatever adjective you want to use, it's not pretty.

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Ron ron is allowed to drive only because he is so strong.

16. codell

I think you nailed it.

I know alot of posters talked during the preseason about using Ron's strength often in the low post w/ Yao going high. I think he is better suited in that role and could get to the line alot. Maybe Adelman will be mixing that in more as the season goes on?

17. yaorta

yaorta Member

that's why people say he's a good defender

18. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

It almost looks like he is dribbling a mini ball. I dont know how he holds onto the ball, it is definitely akward.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The way to defend him is to play him close and hope he loses the handle. Naturally, our defense tends to back off and bait guys into the jumpshot. Ron didn't take that. He, Paul Pierce, and maybe Lebron drive with a mixture of strength and quickness. He just barrels into the D and (since nowadays you can't lay a finger on a driving perimeter player) he gets to the rim or gets the foul call.

Shane never plays up close on D so Ron overpowered him and took him to the rack easily.

20. killlogan

killlogan Member

Ron's ball handling may look urgly, but it's difficult to force a TO on him when he is dribbling the ball. Luther's ball handling looks pretty good but it's eaiser to steal the ball from his hand than grabing the ball as a rebound. the guys who try to steal the ball from ron are always frightened back even before they settle their plan. See what ron did after Ben blocked his lay-up.