1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest: "It's on me"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by QdoubleA, Sep 22, 2009.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4493238

SAN DIEGO -- Pardon Ron Artest if he's a bit geographically challenged and had no idea that San Diego has a big league baseball team, even though he was wearing a Padres cap.

This much he's sure of -- If his Los Angeles Lakers don't repeat as NBA champions, fans can point their fingers at him.

"They should. That's exactly what should happen if we don't repeat," the star forward said during a visit to promote the Lakers' exhibition game against the Denver Nuggets at the San Diego Sports Arena on Oct. 23.

"They won last year, and I'm the new addition. The fans expect to repeat. Everybody in L.A. expects a second ring. And if we don't then yeah, they should point it right at me, throwing tomatoes and everything."

Artest joined the Lakers as a free agent on July 8, signing a five-year deal worth about $33 million. He is the team's only addition, essentially switching places with Trevor Ariza, who left the Lakers to take Artest's spot with the Rockets.

Artest said he was proud to be making his first promotional appearance for the Lakers. He wore an all-black Kobe Bryant jersey as a tribute to his new teammate.

"It makes me more excited, gives me a better understanding of what jersey I'm actually putting on," Artest said. "So today I decided to wear the black Kobe Bryant jersey, because he is the 'Black Mamba,' and I'm really happy to be a part of this team and I'm really excited just to be an addition, an asset, to the guy, to the [Derek] Fishers and the [Andrew] Bynums and all the rest of the players."

During a wide-ranging news conference at the San Diego Chargers' media trailer, Artest drew some laughs with a few slip-ups.

"I didn't realize how far L.A.'s tentacles, or whatever you want to call them, extend, all the way to San Diego. I thought I was going to be getting some Golden State Warrior fans, because I didn't know where I was at. Most of the fans are Lakers fans, so that's great.

"And I'm also here to say that next year I'll be trying out for the San Diego Chargers, so I look forward to that. Hopefully I can play some baseball. Is there a baseball team here?"

You're wearing the hat, he was told.

"I know I'm wearing the hat. I just love the SD. The logo looks great. I didn't realize there was a baseball team in San Diego."

A tough, physical defender, Artest had some spirited moments against Bryant when the Rockets pushed the Lakers to seven games in the second round of the playoffs.

"That was friendship what you saw out there with me and Kobe," Artest said. "That's like hard-core friendship, you know, like back in the days -- fight against your best friend when you were younger and go out and get some ice cream later? That's what that was. It was just so competitive.

"I just knew that my team was going to win. Of course we lost Yao [Ming], which hurt the Rockets. And Kobe wanted to win, and he knew his team was going to win. It was like, 'OK, I know you but I don't care nothing about you, maybe I have to step on your toes and give you a couple of elbows and get you ejected twice, whatever it takes to win, that's what I'm going to do.'"

Artest was ejected from Games 2 and 3 against the Lakers. In Game 2, he received a technical and was ejected after pointing and making a gesture near his throat after complaining that Bryant had elbowed him in the throat under the basket.

Artest was ejected from Game 3 after a flagrant foul on Pau Gasol.

It's all good now that they're all teammates.

"That's what I love about Kobe. He's so tough," Artest said. "He was great when he was younger, but he's much more competitive now. I didn't envision myself playing with him. I always wanted to play against him. I always wanted to beat Kobe Bryant. But I'm more than happy to be playing with Kobe."

A native New Yorker, Artest said he's turning into a West Coast kind of guy.

"I'm learning a lot of different ways of California. Is this Southern California?" he said, apparently not realizing San Diego is as southern as it gets. "It never rains in Southern California, huh? I'm turning into a Southern California guy. I'm happy to be a Southern Californian, or whatever you want to call it."

The Lakers open training camp Sept. 29 at their headquarters in El Segundo.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ron is just an I-D-Ten-T

DD

3. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

He said the same thing last year on a interview with Screamin A Smith.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Ron Artest is a camerawhore just like Rodman was and acts like he's crazy but he's not.

By saying that everything going on with Kobe was all fun and games can mean two things depending on what is truth:
    1) He is lying because he's on Kobe's dick (team) now and loves for people to think he's crazy.
    2) He is telling the truth and again proves he just loves the drama, no wonder why he wants to be in Hollywood, and accepts the Rockets lost the series. This consequently means he's a fake and his competitiveness is artificial and just another act in his movie called life.

I'm leaning towards number 2 and say he never cares for any1 but himself, just like 99% of players in the NBA. He just wants a ring, nothing more.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh the it's on me curse will come into effect. I see bricks and wild jumpers in your future Ronald.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So who's going to win the championship now, since it obviously won't be LA?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Houston.

;)

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Keep yapping Ron Ron. The more the better.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

The Rodman-Artest comparison is just about right. He loves the media and the cameras, kinda just a self promotion act. I'd say we got the better end of the Ron-Trevor swap, L.A. just doesn't know it yet.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ron's Kobe worshipping is getting a little weird. Otherwise, he's being the same guy he always was. Good rental IMO last year. But also good riddance for the next.

The Rodman comparison though only applies to off the court. On the court, Rodman is the perfect, perfect role player. If Artest is even half the role player Rodman was, the Lakers would have another championship wrapped up. But unfortunately, Ron is never going to accept a supporting role on that team.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Football too? What a nut.

12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

oh ron, he loves giving people hope. i remember him saying last season that anything but a championship would be a failure.

this sounds like its going to be a tmac disappointment part 2.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who wouldn't be if one think of himself as the one of the greatest rapper ever to play the game of bball.

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This guy is quickly reaching TO status with me. I'm really sick of of his act.

15. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

He's reaching TO and Kanye status, these types need to learn when to shut up. He's full of himself, although I find his comments hilarious.

16. kikimama

kikimama Member

It's all fun. The NBA wouldn't be as interesting without the drama people. Can't take it too personally, in the end, whatever happens on the court is all that matters.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

But he has gotten out of the 1st round

Rocket River
    I thought u was a results oriented guy

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I can't wait to watch Artest try to shoot his way to a championship with the Lakers this year. Heaving up ill-advised fadeaway 3's and so forth...

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The Kobe worship stuff is a little creepy.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ariza for artest was a steal