1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romo and the crux of the franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Houston Texans have to do whatever they can to sign Tony Romo. Even if it takes withdrawing the offer from AJ Bouye in order to give Romo $10+ million a season, the Texans cannot let him get away.

The reason is because this is that pivotal moment where all Texans fans will look back on and either remember the team for finally deciding it wants to win, or its that moment where we'll know that our fears were confirmed, and Bob McNair is a Mickey Mouse owner who only wants to line his pockets.

This moment is so critical for Bill O'Brien. Signing Romo and playing his cards right, could mean that O'Brien cements himself as the Texans head coach for the next 15 years (if that's what he wants). Failing to sign Romo could very well result in him leaving after his contract is up.

The second decision after signing Romo is that this team needs to make a rock-solid decision on one of these quarterbacks and then go and get him. Whomever they get may be pressed into action, at times, but would not be forced to take the keys to the franchise for another two years or so.

I know, I know. Some people believe there aren't first round talent-level quarterbacks out there. That's BS. There are. They just may not be ready right away. This team has the luxury of being able to get a highly regarded guy and groom him behind a successful quarterback that can teach him what it means to be a pro. Two guys in particular may be obtainable and available, in my opinion. Deshaun Watson or Pat Mahomes. These are the guys to hand your franchise to. Decide on someone, even if it's a later round, developmental guy you like more (hello Peterman, Dobbs, or Trevor Knight), and get him.

The future of the franchise, at least for the next ten years, depends on it.

We can weather the storm of potentially losing a few players this season. But this season we can also add some great players. Even if we lose Bouye, Simon, and Griffin, this team doesn't lose much, overall. And that still allows us to build the line.

It's time for Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien to finally earn their keep. We better be getting Romo.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

10+mil? Jesus I hope it's less than that. Hopefully he'll see this as his chance to win and be willing to sign for a lot less so the team can keep improving and avoid having to make cuts.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Y'all are starting to make me hate the dude with all these Romo talk. I'm nearing overload

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come on Broncos.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No way it'll be less than that. The Broncos are going to go 10-12 with incentives to hit 15.

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Good post man. I agree with a lot of what you said.

This will tell what Romo is all about Imo. The Texans are much closer to winning any kind of Championship whether it be divisional or Super Bowl.

7. msn

msn Member

$10MM for that injury machine? Yao Ming redux. No, thanks.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Have a feeling the Texans will offer $8 million next year with a high escalation in salary the 2nd year when Brock is gone. However, I think the Broncos are going to out bit the Texans since they were outbid last offseason.

Texans will be stuck with Brock and some scrub rookie that wont be ready for another two years.

9. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Which is exactly why Texans' brass needs to be prepared to spend what it takes and not set the kind of limits a lot of you want them to place. If Houston is clearly Romo's 1st choice, then you can start negotiating for the best deal possible. But if the Broncos are the 1st choice, its incumbent upon the Texans to change his mind. Statements like "We want you, but only at a cheap price..." are non-starters if you're the bridesmaid in this free agent pursuit. I would be talking private plane access so that he can reach his Dallas home, I would be sending J.J. to recruit, I would be emphasizing veteran head coach, indoor stadium and temperate environment, easier divisional path to the playoffs, better O-line, and just about everything you can think of that makes the Texans a shinier destination than the Broncos (just don't show him the trophy case). I'm not saying you offer Romo $20million, but I am saying you make this free agent signing the priority over resigning Bouye, or maybe even extending Hopkins now rather than later. Don't be afraid to go $14-$15million if that's his price to come to Houston over Denver. So far, Denver has been the franchise projecting "We want you Tony". Houston had better start doing the same starting this Wednesday morning AM ahead of the free agency period. Not going balls out in this pursuit in favor of giving Osweiller more time is the opposite of a winning strategy, and exactly what this franchise's past would lead one to think that's what they're going to do.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair, I thought when they went and got Brock, that showed they were in win now mode... it just didn't work out. I will be happy if we sign Romo, I will be content if we don't. Kind of like Bogut, could make us better, but also could be out for nothing in one game. But if we dont get Romo we better use that money and draft well.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I will be shocked if Romo picks the Texans over the Broncos. The Broncos have a history of winning. The Texans have a history of not winning. Winning the AFC south doesn't really count as winning anything.

If Romo goes to Denver and then gets hurt, Texan fans will be saying we got lucky he chose Denver.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

Why would romo go to Denver? They've had a complete coaching overhaul.

They have an unproven rookie head coach. Wade Phillips is gone so the defense is going to take a step back.

clutch citizen likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly if they can't sign a veteran QB that gives you a chance as lottery ticket this year, then they are smart to just let all of their free agents go, get compensatory picks and save cap space. It rolls over to next year if you don't spent it. Sign some low salaried guys that don't hurt you on the compensatory scale (or guys who were cut) and then have a good draft.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

John Elway and a tradition of winning.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Plus that division is harder, the defenses especially their pass rushes are much better, their OL is awful, and all his family lives in Texas

clutch citizen, mario_v and MadMax like this.