1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rod Strickland Ready to leave

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Azim da Dream, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Interesting . . . but where would they trade Strick? The Knicks seem like a potential suitor seeing as they are looking for a PG, but the last thing they need is another offensive-minded perimeter player with a bad past and a hefty salary. Like the rest of the conference save Charlotte, the Knicks need size and rebounding.

I can't see any other team willing to pick up Rod and his salary.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The Knicks should try to make a rice for strickland trade. I dont think it would work straight up so they would need some cap fillers.

Boy I'm actually kind of glad we signed pippen instead of this guy.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah if we had signed Stickland cc.net's slogan might say "Now 100% Stickland free ."

------------------
    "Its a good thing they don't make posters of European players"

-Walt Williams after getting "posterized" by Zan Tabak .

5. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree vj23k, at least we got some good role players out of pippen.

------------------

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Strickland has skipped practice and ripped the Wizards . He will be traded in a few days . And hope he doesnt throw up on the court again , after eating chili dogs before a game .
    ---------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON -- If Rod Strickland keeps behaving this way, he'll devalue himself right out of any trade from the lowly Washington Wizards

A day after oversleeping and missing practice -- his first misstep of the season -- Strickland was dropped from the starting lineup and played only 18 minutes in Wednesday night's 89-82 loss to the New York Knicks. He then questioned the decision, saying his habitual tardiness and other off-the-court problems of seasons past were being held against him.

"I don't know if they are trying to put me on Front Street or what have you, but I've tried to do what they've asked me to," Strickland said.

"For them to do that, it's a bit much. ... It's like not being able to get past your past. You can't get past that. I just didn't think I deserved that. He told me I wasn't going to start, but the reduced minutes. I'm on bad wheels, I'm stiff and can't do nothing. I can't get into the game."

Strickland said he suspected the decision was made not by coach Leonard Hamilton but by upper management, which includes president of basketball operations Michael Jordan and general manager Wes Unseld.

On Thursday, Strickland again was an unexcused no-show at practice.

"We're waiting to hear from him," Hamilton said. "I haven't talked to him."

The Wizards were scheduled to leave on a late afternoon flight to Miami for Friday night's game against the Heat.

The Wizards, with a franchise-worst 5-24 record, were muddled about Strickland's post-game comments. Hamilton at first refused even to acknowledge that Strickland was benched for missing practice. Once he did, he would not say whether it was his decision or Jordan's.

"Ask management," Hamilton said.

Jordan, who would trade Strickland quickly if it would ease the team's salary cap problems, did not attend the game. Unseld would only say that it was Strickland who benched himself by not coming to practice.

"If he tells you the moon is made out of blue cheese, if he thinks that's accurate, that's fine," Unseld said. "I have no problem with anything he says."

Even so, Strickland probably compounded matters by restating that he "would love to play in New York" on the same day that he missed practice.

Strickland didn't do well against New York in his short time on the court, scoring only two points with one assist and three turnovers as the Wizards lost their fifth straight and sixth in a row at home.

------------------
    "Its a good thing they don't make posters of European players"

-Walt Williams after getting "posterized" by Zan Tabak .