1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocky Mountain News July 3 :Houston offers brent barry 4 year 24 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alain076, Jul 3, 2004.

1. alain076

alain076 Member

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3010244,00.html

Guard says interest in Nuggets genuine

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    July 3, 2004

The Denver Nuggets are trying to corner the market on South America.

They already have Nene, Brazil's biggest basketball hero. Now, they're going after Argentina's top star.

Advertisement

Manu Ginobili, a San Antonio Spurs restricted free-agent shooting guard, visited Denver on Friday. He said he's seriously considering the Nuggets and not just trying to drive up the price tag for the Spurs.

"I'm very interested because this is a franchise that is changing," said Ginobili, who flew in from Argentina. "They've got a talented group of guys."

Ginobili's preference is to remain with the Spurs. But he wants to keep his options open.

"If (the Spurs are) not going to match, I've got to get an offer at a place where I want to be," said Ginobili, who, like other visiting free agents, was whisked around in a stretch limo. "(The Nuggets) could be in the top part of the league in a few years. I've always said that I'd like to stay in San Antonio. But I want to explore."

Ginobili will visit Utah today. He had planned to go to Phoenix, but canceled after the Suns used much of their cap room by agreeing to a deal with Steve Nash.

"We'll talk on the plane (today about a timetable for Ginobili to decide)," said Ginobili's agent, Herb Rudoy, who accompanied him on the visit. "I imagine it will be in the next week or so. He's very interested (in the Nuggets). It was a very good visit."

Rudoy said Atlanta, which, like Utah, has more than $20 million of salary-cap room, also is in the mix for Ginobili, who wants to sign July 14, the first day possible. The Nuggets potentially have about $15 million left after agreeing to a deal Thursday with center Marcus Camby.

"It was a very good visit," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said. "He's a great guy."

Ginobili is believed to be Denver's top shooting guard candidate. But the Spurs, unless they go after Kobe Bryant, are a good bet to match an offer for Ginobili up to $8 million or $9 million for the first year.

Next on the list at shooting guard appears to be Quentin Richardson. The Clippers' restricted free agent visited Thursday along with his good friend, Portland restricted free-agent forward Darius Miles.

"Either way, we come out on top," said Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, who has no preference between Ginobili or Richardson.

Anthony said Vandeweghe called for his opinion on Richardson and Miles. Anthony said he hasn't been consulted about any other free agents but had no problem saying he would like to play with New Jersey restricted free-agent power forward Kenyon Martin.

"Heck yeah," he said. "If we get Kenyon, we'll be tough in the West."

Martin's agent, Brian Dyke, confirmed Martin will visit Denver next week.

Martin is seeking a maximum deal, which would start at about $11.5 million. The Nuggets might not have that kind of money if they sign a shooting guard along with Camby.

"We were aware of the Camby situation," Dyke said. "It's not something that was unexpected."

Contract terms for Camby have not been revealed. The consensus around the league Friday was that his deal is worth about $50 million over five years and could be worth more than $60 million over six years with incentives and a possible option year. His cap figure for next season is expected to be between $7 million and $8 million.

If the Nuggets can't afford Martin, an alternative is Detroit restricted free-agent big man Mehmet Okur, whose agent has spoken with Denver. The Pistons have offered Okur a six-year, $40 million deal and might not be able to match a bigger offer.

Okur is in his native Turkey to get married. It's undetermined whether he'll visit teams.

If Okur decides to visit, the Nuggets can roll out the limo again. It's been going over well.

"Nice treatment," Ginobili said.

<b>ETC.: Houston has offered Seattle free-agent guard Brent Barry a four-year, $24 million deal, which might be too pricey for the Nuggets, considering he's 32 </b>. . . Agent Mark Bartelstein has talked to Denver about four free agents: Brian Cardinal, Trenton Hassell, Eric Williams and Mark Blount . . . Altitude Sports has hired Christy Calvin, who is from Denver and once was a Nets publicist, as Nuggets sideline reporter . . . Vandeweghe has called the agent for restricted free-agent forward Carlos Boozer but assumes he'll re-sign with Cleveland . . . Denver isn't showing much interest in restricted free-agent guard Jamal Crawford . . . The Jazz hired Troy Weaver, the Syracuse assistant who recruited Anthony, as a scout.

Aaron J. Lopez contributed to this story.tomassonc@com or 303-892-5125

2. Raven

Raven Member

My worst fears are unfolding.

Moochie
    MT
    Pike
    Cato
    Maloney
    Brent Price

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

oh my! that's too much for a guy 32 yrs old....... but barry would be ok. what concerns me after giving that to barry, do we still have the flexibity to go for a quality big man?

4. magyuan

magyuan Member

5. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

Let's just get Arroyo who is a true point guard, younger and cheaper.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

And a restricted free agent. Utah won't give him up that easy

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Man, 4 years for 24 mill. I'd much rather go for the 3 years for 22-24 million. That extra year is a big deal. That's one of the reasons we traded Moochie for Spoon. They both have overpaid contracts but we are able to get out of Spoon's earlier and possibly trade it as an ending contract a year earlier. I'd still like to get Barry, but that extra year is definitely a concern.

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I also like Arroyo's game. If we like him, try to ask the Jazz first. Arroyo seems to like to play for us. But if the Jazz want to keep him, there's nothing we can do. Unless the decide to let Lopez start and be backed up by Mo Williams...

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Man I just read the part about Camby. :eek:

Did Denver just commit 50 million over the next 5 years for a walking infirmary. That is crazy. Suddenly the rest of Howard's deal doesn't look so bad.

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I would be laughing to Denver if Camby gets injured and not complete the season..back to barry, if JVG really like him, better get rid of Tspoon, Pike or MO just to clear some space and better get a good big man to be Yao's bakup

11. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

could we sign fisher as well as barry?

12. alain076

alain076 Member

13. Sane

Sane Member

That's 6M per season.

I think it's fine since he's not the type of person that relies on athleticism.

I'd do a 24M over 4 seasons if the final year had a team option, partial guarantee, or buyout option. That final year is worth aroudn 8M! Then again, the only reason he's not committed to Seattle is because they wont' offer him 4 years.

14. alain076

alain076 Member

Oops my fault he is the number 2 on that list just behind Nash.

And look whos at the number 5 : Fisher which I agree with. Don't want fisher at all. Barry is nice, very nice

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Who would you rather spend the money on, if not Barry? He's the best player AND the best fit that we'll have a realistic chance of getting now or in the near future.

It's not as if we're looking to the future for a year that we'll have a ton of cap space... It just won't happen with Yao and T-Mac both getting max deals within a year of each other.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DFish, BBarry, CArroyo. Give me any and I'll be happy. No complaints.

I won't cry over THudson, either.

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

LMAO but this is the same board that said giving the MLE to James Posey was overpaying. Get ready to get buried under a bad contract. Hey but $6 million per for a PG who has career numbers of 10 pts and 6 assists is a bargain even at the over ripe old age of 32.:D

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Brent Barry, but man that is a huge contract. I really would have rather had 3 years opposed to 4. I think by the 4th year we would regret paying him 8M.

I agree on the Posey take. I mean if we arent going to give Posey the full MLE why Barry? Signing Barry to that contract makes it look like he is the final piece of the puzzle and I dont think we are there yet. For a final piece you can justify that spending, but I am not sure we are there yet.

Of course that is the economic side of my brain that is telling me this. The basketball side of my brain is excited to see him on the court with Yao and McGrady. ;)

I would rather sign Barry to a 3 year deal for more money in a S&T with our Trade Exeception and then that would leave us with our MLE to use for a big man.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Not good, but not bad.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

Convenient how you don't mention his 46% career shooting and 41% from 3 pt land.

BTW ......James Poseys career #s before Memphis was around 10 pts, 5 rebs and 41% shooting.