1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets winning without McGrady, but won't say they are better without him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't see these quotes anywhere, so I apologize if this is old news, but I found it to be something that put the whole, "we're better without t-mac" b.s. to rest a bit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/wires/01/11/2030.ap.bkn.nba.notes.adv12.1605/

Rick Adelman laughed, though the idea can't be dismissed that easily. Even one of his players would concede that.

The Houston Rockets have been winning without Tracy McGrady, and lately they've occasionally even looked better without him. And the more the Rockets prove they can win without their injured All-Star guard, the more people will keep saying it might not be a bad idea to break up his pairing with Yao Ming.

The Rockets aren't going that far. But point guard Rafer Alston says he's heard the talk, and understands why some feel that way.

"It's a Catch-22. Right now the ball's hopping, the ball's touching a lot of guys,'' Alston said. "We're getting out, we're running, when we don't have it we know ... we can just call a play for Yao. But on the flip side of it, if you do give the ball to Tracy and just watch, it's not like you're watching just an average player. You're actually watching a star. And that's how he plays.

"He lines his guy up and goes into his move and then sometimes he'll go on the low blocks and work on his game down there. So we'll tell him we want to get up and keep moving, I think that's how Rick Adelman's style is. We want to move the ball, move our bodies and I think down the stretch we've always come to him and just give it to him and tell him to take us home.''

Alston's play is among the reasons the Rockets have experienced no drop-off without McGrady, their leading scorer with 22.8 points per game. Alston scored 20 points in a 101-92 victory over New York on Wednesday, when the Rockets improved to 6-2 since McGrady went down with a left knee injury.

That gave Alston three 20-point games this season - all in the last eight games - and improved his average to 17.1 points in that span.

The idea that Houston could be better without McGrady would once have seemed preposterous. The Rockets had never won more than two in a row without him since he joined the team in 2004, and before their victory at Memphis on Dec. 28 they had dropped eight in a row without T-Mac since beating Sacramento on Dec. 22, 2006.

Adelman chuckled when asked about being better without McGrady, whose name has begun to pop up in trade speculation, then stressed that he would be needed down the road if Houston was to meet its lofty preseason expectations.

"I think when you have one of the best big guys in the league who's a tough cover for anybody, and you have one of the best perimeter people, that's a pretty good start,'' the Rockets coach said. "So I don't believe that. We just have to get as a team to play better. Those guys have proven they can carry a team, but ... getting to the playoffs in the West is tough enough. But when you do get there, you have to have other people ready to play, not just those two guys.''

The Rockets hoped McGrady would return during their five-game homestand that began Friday against Minnesota. And if he did, Alston said it was up to the team's role players to keep playing just as well with McGrady as they've done without him.

"I've learned just watching basketball, when you have two players of that caliber, superstar players, it's up to the rest of us to learn how to play off those guys,'' Alston said. "Right now we're figuring that out, how to play off (Yao) while Tracy's out. Now when Tracy comes back, we've got to keep our rhythm, got to keep the same tempo. Guys got to continue to be aggressive.''

---

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I could have sworn T-Mac's shoes had some kind of magnetic field that causes the other players to run slower. You mean they actually make a conscious effort to stand around and watch him?? :rolleyes:

3. rfila

rfila Member

This is stupid. I do not beleive anyone who says we are better without Tmac means we are better with Tmac sitting out the games.

I myself have never said we are better without Tmac. But I really am pissed with what I have seen for two facts:

1) He does not try his best for his team as a professional player.

2)His overall contribution to this team does not warrant the salary he gets.

I can live with one of the two, not both of them.

I think "we are better without Tmac" means "we can spend the 20M a year better" more than anything else.

Of course, if he is with the team, it is better to have him play than just let him sitting there.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to break this to you, but what he warrants in salary really isn't up to us. He puts people in seats, and that's what gets him the 20 million. You think the only reason Yao is untouchable is because it's hard to find a great center to build around? You think management would trade him for DH if it could? No way.

Do you think our Jerseys just happen to look like something Mao himself would put on by accident?

I can see where you are coming from in terms of values, but the values of the NBA and the U.S. aren't always like that. It's not about looking like you try your best as it is actually what you accomplish. Even if you don't look so good doing it. Of course, some might say looks have all to do with it. But T-mac hasn't been criticized as being lazy - that's something new to everyone this year after his injury - and seems to have come really out of thin air.

5. rfila

rfila Member

I never said Tmac was lazy. I did, however,say Tmac cares more about himself than his team, which results in, quite often, giving his best effort to his stats rather than his team performance, or even worse, not giving his best effort to either his stats or his team performance for whatever reason. It may not be easy to get talent he has with 20m/yr. It is, however,quite possible to get better help this team needs with 20m/yr. And the best way to put people in seats is to have the best team performance.

It is not neccessary to get Yao and Mao in this conversation. I am Chinese and I like Yao. But the opinion I gave here is just from a Rockets fan with regard to your thread.

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

That, right there, is the problem. We're playing well right now because each guy is playing and being played off of, not just giving the ball to one or two guys and playing off them.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1. Rockets are better without McGrady
    2. Rockets can't beat elite teams without McGrady

3. Now what?

8. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

We all know T-mac has the ability to do whatever RA wants him to do. According to his old story in Magic, he does have a characteristic. Whether he is willing to do the adjustment is the ONLY key to whether he is going to be traded.

I think GM is observing as well.

9. zhengde

zhengde Member

I hate Tmac wants to be team leader which he doesn't capable.

It's on me, blah,blah....

We only need ONE leader not two. Otherwise, there is no clear responsibility and
    authority. TMac wants to be the leader, but he should not be the leader, Yao should be the one.

10. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

YOF :eek:

11. noname

noname Member

All viewpoints are focusing on that whether T-mac admits RA's system!

If T-mac is willing to sacrifice himself to the Princeton system when he come back, there is no doubt that ROX is awesome in the league!

12. feihung316

feihung316 Member

keep him or trade him? i guess we'll find out when he comes back. but i think he's been nothing but supportive of his teammates, never had problems with coaching staffs, and has not been any type of bad locker room influence. some people around here try to make him sound a lot worse than what he is. so having him around hasn't led to any championships for us, well welcome to the same problem that any team without tim duncan or shaq has been facing the last decade. to me, he's a great player, and the talent he brings to the team pretty much gives us a fighting chance against any team.

obviously, if he comes back and we start another losing streak, then he wouldn't work with RA's system. that's horrible since we're gonna definitely get less value through a trade.

13. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

DID YOU FIND AN ARTICLE SAYING THAT THEY DON'T NEED SNYDER??? C'mon!

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Look at our schedule without TMac...

Stupid to think that without him in the lineup, we are a better team.

I think with TMac out, Adelman has had a chance to play around more with lineups, so now he knows more about each players strength and weaknesses. When TMac comes back, hopefully we'll be able to compete with some of the big dogs in the west.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They certainly are not better with out him.

But.....they might be better with the players they get back if they traded him.

That being said, I want to see how the team plays when Tmac gets back.

DD

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we will be better off collecting the insurance on Tracy and getting a nice return.It's still has been and will be a good swap for Francis,Cat,and Cato.

I have no desire to see him play on the Rockets anymore as he/we can't keep any continuity/chemistry out there between his back injury and reluctance to conform.Also the risk of losing any return on this commodity is very real with the back.I've seen enough.Play him for a short while if needed to showcase him for a deal,but get it done.

I want some smart,quality team players/major capspace with athleticism coming back.

Put that out on the hardwood with the Rockets already have.... let's win now and down the line.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Certainly not a bad idea.....let's see how they play when he gets back first.

DD

18. yaoza ming

yaoza ming Rookie

why is there so much TMAC love? He hasn't done anything since he got here. and let me remind you he's a big talker and can't back it up. He quit on us during game 7 last year just like he quit on Orlando. And then he had the guts to cry on national TV like he actually cared about the game???

Why do you think Toronto and Orlando were so happy to trade TMAC (one of the league's premier players) away? And you people still think TMAC is at the same level as Kobe?? Just look at the situation in LA. No matter how much Kobe talks, Jerry Buss or anybody with a brain will never trade him away, yet Orlando was eager to give up Tracy. Tracy is an arrogant loser and we are looking at another disapointing season with him on the team.

19. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

if we trade tmac, we would regret it.

there's no way this team is better without tmac (unless it was for kobe straight up).

everyone's still gotta learn to play with each other. mcgrady being out has been a blessing in disguise. these other players are gaining confidence in things they knew they could do all along.

mcgrady is one of the most prolific scorers in nba history. you are not better without him.

20. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

If TMAC has not done anything for us then obviously Yao has not either. But I am sure most of us love Yao. Better question is why do all you YOFs (generalization here but especially from China) hate TMac so much? What did he do to you guys lol. I am Chinese (not from China) who loves Yao but come on, your blind hate for TMac is ridiculous.

To answer your question what did he do for the Rockets, all "REAL" rockets fan would and should appreciate him because we had our best regular season year in 10 years (51 win season) his first season here. Two 50+ win seasons in his 3 years, the second shouldn't count because both he Yao and him were hurt most of the year.

Without him we are 18-51 all time or something ridiculous like that. Sure we never made it past the first round with him (or YAO FOR THAT MATTER) but he only had two chances against very very good teams to try and get past that hump. Before you blame these losses on him, Yao was no steller performer. Against Mavs, Yao was just not ready back then, he had one or two good games but TMac basically carried us the whole series until game 7 where everyone sucked or the Mavs just plain rocked.

Against Jazz, in simple words, Okur schooled Yao. I have not seen any star getting blocked and stripped that many times as Okur did to Yao. I mean you could just see the fear in Yao's eyes whenever he tried to make a play. Not to mention rebounds! The number of offensive rebounds they got in the last few minutes of games was just ridiculous!

As for the number of games TMac missed due to injury, I am sure it is close to that of Yao's. Somebody would find that out for us. So stop the lame excuses that he is lazy or plays hurt or "mysteriously get hurt during tough game stretches".

Anyways, the fact of the matter is TMac had been MUCH MORE valuable to the rockets than Yao has been. Is it so hard to accept this for all you YOFs? Why can't we love both our stars? TMac has been nothing but complementory of Yao since he joined this team, where are all this hate coming from?