1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Warriors Offense: Iso vs. Ball Movement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, May 9, 2018.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Much is said in the media that the Rockets Iso ball heavy offense will get exposed by the Warriors. Implying that the ball movement of the Warriors will eventually break and overcome the Rockets defense. But one of the things I don't see mentioned is Houston's defense in forcing turnovers against the ball movement offense of the Warriors.

I think there's just as much a liability in Iso ball (collapsing defenses on Harden/Paul) as there is in a ball movement scheme by switching and playing passing lanes with long and athletic defenders.

What says CF? Do you put both offensive schemes on par with each other or is one more of a liability in the playoffs than the other?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The best thing about having an ISO heavy, minimal passing, scheme is the low TO's. Rockets are averaging 9.7 TO's, the least amount of TO's by any team in the playoffs. GSW, with their "beautiful", pass heavy, offense is averaging 13.4 TO's a game! That's against the so called trash playoff competition.

Rockets have cut down one of the things that really screwed up Harden against the Warriors in the past: TURNOVERS

Rockets average 8.4 stls a game good for #3 in the playoffs. GSW is not far behind averaging 8 stls a game good for #8 in the playoffs. Since the Rockets don't turn the ball over as much, this mitigates the impact of the "Hampton's 5". GSW is very loose with the ball which could be to the Rockets advantage.

Add to that, the Rockets switching defense creates a pseudo-zone against all those Curry/Klay back cuts, the Warriors TO's could easily sky-rocket.

Rockets defensive and offensive schemes may not be ascetically pleasing to casual (or even avid) fans, but it has been built to counter everything that makes GSW great.

#2 DreamShook, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  3. kevcai

kevcai Member

The contrasting offensive styles will really be interesting to see. The key is to really go at Curry because he is their weakest defender. It's also a double-whammy because hopefully it tires him out a bit when he's on offense as well.

Definitely don't feel as confident about Harden/CP3 going at Durant/Draymond on switches as I did when it was Towns/Gobert. They're still two of the best Iso players in the league and should be able to breakdown and collapse the defense -- just not as easily as lulling Gobert to sleep and bursting past him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I wouldn't call out offense based only on iso either, our Iso's hasn't been too consistent in the playoffs especially teams are taking away Harden's step back three.

A lot of our plays are 2-3 men plays with minimal passing. I feel like the more we pass the worse shots we get. Our goal usually is to find the right shooter or slasher with 1 action, or pass.

5. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I expect the Rockets to set picks and get Draymond/Curry guarding Harden/CP3 1-on-1. That will be interesting. And any help will mean a lob to Capela or an open 3 for our shooters.

On defense, I'm not sure what we'll do with Capela. A lineup of Harden/CP3/Ariza/Mbah a Moute/Tucker makes more sense to me right now.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Capela can guard at the perimeter if he is switched. I'm not worried about Clint. Rockets Death lineup has a real problem with rebounding.

saleem likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Whoever Curry is guarding sets the pick. Harden and CP will call for the match up they want to set the pick.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except the Warriors death lineup has an even bigger problem with rebounding. That's how Ryno pulled down 13 last time

topfive, D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not sure how the Hampton's 5 does on rebounding. Rockets have yet to face the Hampton's 5.

Careful complimenting Ryno. :eek:

10. kevcai

kevcai Member

Agreed -- Curry is definitely their weakest defender and CP/Harden will dictate which matchup they want...but part of the benefit of attacking bigs is they aren't as quick on the perimeter (obviously) but the one that doesn't get talked about enough is it takes rim protection out of the paint and onto the perimeter.

Sure you can attack Curry but you'll have Draymond/KD at the rim waiting for them. Attacking Gobert was perfect because he doesn't defend well in space and wasn't at the rim to protect it.

DreamShook likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

its all relative. if draymond/kd are cheating towards curry's man than there guys will be open. they will react to how GS is focused on playing the rockets. the rockets ball movement have never had a problem kicking it out to other guys who are open. its just a matter of execution to hit the shots

topfive and DreamShook like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They've made about 100 more passes in the playoffs than us in the same # of games. But we've taken it to the rack 30+ more times while they're shooting jumpers.

topfive, D-rock and Tfor3 like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I have full confidence in James Harden at the rim against KD or Draymond. If KD or Draymond is defending Harden in space after Harden gets passed the initial defender, that means Capela is open for a lob.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Iso ball is pretty much criticized everywhere in the NBA. But, no other team has a Harden/Paul backcourt. It has worked in Houston because we have two of the greatest ever to play iso ball.

BigShasta and Tfor3 like this.
  15. AkeemOlaDROwon

I think both schemes have their advantages. Rockets have less moving parts, less chance for turnovers but is a more polarizing offense. High reward offense but can make us look terrible if we’re not making shots. GSW will develop easier shots but have a higher risk of turnover that can lead to easy baskets. Think it’s going to come down to Bzdelik and defensive scheme. New Orleans did not succeed because they were frantic chasing shooters around screens, leading to defenders biting on pump fakes and drives, which forced help D, and that lead to easy shots. We switch everything to an extreme so less passing lanes and more contested 3’s. That should force them into some ISO ball as well. Transition D will be key as GSW will try to exploit that if our switching can causes them issues. Bzdelik is going to be our hero or zero.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If Harden regains the deadly step back 3 point touch, EG finds any touch at all, and Ariza decides to join PJ Tucker in hitting the corner/wing 3 consistently... we shouldn't have any issues remaining competitive.

If we DON'T... it's gonna be one long ass series (or technically short).

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think for the discerning fan the matchup of motion vs iso will be fascinating. Here’s why:

1. The Rockets thrive at a methodical place. They don’t want to run for extended stretches with GS. The change up fast break is best.

2. The Rockets will be trying to deny the ball, get TO’s, and work GS’s motion against them to wear them down. Long running possessions have the possibility of wearing down GS, but no one has been able to do this yet.

3. Can the Rockets switches disrupt the catch and shoot game? If so, it will be because GS has to take advantage of mismatches, something no one else has even really tried to this point.

4. What about Capela? How does he match up with their bigs and Draymond Green? Capela has grown a ton, and I think he’s ready for a physical series. Can he play above the rim over Draymond? Can Capela win the 1 on 1s?

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I just want Rhino to finally contribute big.

19. 523744

523744 Member

Make that three including....ISO Joe

20. Rockets4Life13

I wasn’t too confident all year long. But after I’ve seen the HORRIBLE DEFENSE by the pels, im getting more and more confident. They had no chance because they weren’t defending well at all. Utah on the other hand is a great defensive team and prepares us better for the finals.

I think whoever controlls the pace and limits turnovers in this series will win. Both teams lethal in transition. Rockets have been taking care of the ball really well.

I feel crazy good about us winning the series. And this is no „I’m a houston fan so i say we will win“ but a genuine „i think we will win it“

And whatever to the ******* media. Remember when they said cp3 and harden wouldn’t work? Remember when SAS said memphis will be better than us? Remember when they said okc would be the 2nd best team in the west? Remember when they said we wouldn’t get the 1st seed because the warriors will eventually start playing?

The media has ZERO clue and underrated us from the beginning of the offseason. And are still doing now. We have proven them WRONG countless times. And we will do it AGAIN

topfive, RocketRoller and D-rock like this.