1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Waive Ben Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

did we pay him??

3. ymc

ymc Member

I think we paid. He got a work-related injury. I think he deserves the $$$. Now we have a spot open. Hopefully, we invite Braggs back.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Lots of options now that there is one one spot on the IL...

* leave it open for Eddie Griffin.
    * sign a vet FA and move Meech to the IL.
    * bring back Braggs (not likely, but he was an extra big that played fairly well and was relatively mobile).
    * wait until March or April and sign an insurance type player...Mark Jackson, Oakley, Ty Hill.
    * hold the spot open until the Feb trade deadline and you won't have to waive anyone if the trade has one more incoming than outgoing (2 for 1 , 3 for 2, etc.).

Van Gundy plays things very close to the vest and it's hard to read him (plus he's using a short rotation), but IMO if they fill the spot quickly they definitely aren't expecting EG back this season.

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I don't think so, because the only reason he wasn't waived before the season was due to his injury, and the minute he COULD play, he was waived. That doesn't sound like someone who made the team.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Ben Davis? no way Clutch, say it aint so. Ben davis is a smart man imo. That dude knew he was going to get cut and although he may of been injured he probably made sure he stayed injured for as long as he could get away with staying injured so he would keep getting paid.

7. Nova

Nova Member

Let's move Meech to the bench and get TMo!!! :D

8. Nova

Nova Member

Edit: Meech to the IR

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we were gonna re-sign Torraye Braggs, we'd release Amechi or Alton Ford. Braggs is better than them anyways, imo.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not optimistic but I hope we can somehow upgrade our PG spot. Mark Jackson would be better than Moochie. I would even consider Tim Hardaway if he is in good physical condition.

11. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

why not bring wilks back, he's not really hurt is he?

12. MManal

MManal Member

I would like the Rockets to fill the spot with Mark Jackson. He was on Best Damn Sports Show and said that he would be interested in playing this season but only for the right team. He also spoke about how he thinks Ewing will be a solid coach in this league. Even last season, Jackson was good for 5 APG with the Jazz in limited PT with his usual low turnover total. It would be nice to have a savvy veteran who understands the game coming off the bench instead of Moochie.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

I'd take Mark Jackson over Moochie. He'll probably accept the veteran minimum to play too.

15. Sane

Sane Member

I agree with this 100%. Giving some minutes at PG to Mark Jackson, and a few more minutes at the 2/3 to Pike may be very good for this team. We'd have a pretty decent second unit:

MoT
    Boki
    Pike
    Mark jackson

I think we sign him now, let him slowly work his way into shape, get into Francis' ear, and eventually play a solid role off the bench for us.

I remember in some article I read that JVG asked Oakley to sign for us and Oakley said something along the lines of "Call me in December, and if I'm not signed up, then I'll be interested"

Maybe we're signing Oak? Maybe EG is coming back?

Personally, I hope it's both. I hope we waive Ford, sign Oak, and bring back EG slowly.

16. nel00

nel00 Member

Maybe Adrian Griffin is ready for some action???...

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

There are only 12 active roster spots. Davis came off the IR. If Amaechi, for example, is "injured," then A. Griffin can return to the active roster.

IMO, JVG will keep the roster spot open for E. Griffin.