1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Aaron Brooks, Carlos Delfino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Del-FINE-o

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It was just a question. Just curious what he can do with the bench with so little cap space.

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

You know, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I mean, one, I believe we will still have exceptions to be able to sign a veteran or two --and if not, we have GM who is the absolute best at finding guys who fell through the cracks of the NBA and are riding some European bench, who would swim the atlantic to get a minimum NBA contact and a roster spot. Plus we'll have an attractive roster for ring chasing veterans willing to sign for the minimum (like Battier did in Miami the last couple years).

Two, we have some pretty solid talent on the bench as it is. Beverley (or Lin) coming off the bench can backup both guard spots minutes wise. Donatus is going to be a year better and year stronger, and he has some serious potential at the 4 (with Howard playing the 5 when Asik sits). And Terrence Jones has some serious potential at the 3,4 and 5 for next season.

5. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

We have Beverley, Smith, Jones, Dmo. I guess we can try to bring back Garcia.

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Dig deep into the Morey Super Secret Analytics Machine. Find guys from the D-League (Greg Smith), from overseas (Beverly), from leftover free agency dregs when the musical chair stop (Delfino), off waiver wire (JLin), in the second round (Parsons), etc.

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

*Sigh* The one part I hate about professional sports.

Both are classy players and pieces of THE NEW AGE (well, all the 2012-13 Rockets are).

Best of luck the rest of the way. As Morey has said, hope there's a chance to reunite.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not exactly surprising news.

Hopefully, both players (Delfino, especially) will be open to the idea of a return later on.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I understand. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Our bench would be depleted; but, our starting five would be enhanced so much that it would be far greater than the loss.

Once you get guys like Harden playing with Dwight, people flock over to our team. Morey is a genius at finding cap room and squeezing contracts into tight cap situations. He would find a way to fill up the bench.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

AB really performed for the short stint we brought him in for. Hope he's able to get an opportunity to get on the court with a team elsewhere.

Losing Delfino hurts. As much offense as this team has, very few players on the roster played with confidence late in games during the playoffs aside from Delfino - really, Parsons was the only other player who routinely hit big shots late. Hoping DH will be able to help in this department next season, but aside from him this upcoming season, particularly the postseason, is going to have us examining Harden more closely along with his ability (or lack thereof) to close out playoff games.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

To add to my statement:

"What are we going to do about our bench?" Is a question GM's love to have. Why? Because that usually means their starting five is good enough to be a contender that the bench is the last part of the puzzle. You want to be finding the last part of the puzzle. That's a good problem to have.

It's like a person trying to lose that last part of body fat on their stomach. That means they've gotten fit enough to where they do not have to lose 40 lbs just to start seeing muscle definition. We would be trying to get that last part of the stomach toned. Contrary to that example, filling in the holes on the bench would be the easiest part, not the hardest.

12. Chamillionaire

It's happening... again.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll really miss Delfino. Besides what he did on the court, I think he kept the guys loose, a veteran presence that showed the youngsters that yeah, you're supposed to be a pro, but this can also be fun. When the dust settles, I hope he's healthy and back on the team. And poor AB. He really stepped up for us when we needed him in games 4 and 5 against the Thunder, and we really needed him bad. When Morey drafted Canaan, though, the handwriting was on the wall. With Lin healthy, and Beverley, we just don't need more than someone like the rookie.

14. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

cough..OKC fans would argue that Bev does a little bit more than trolling :rolleyes: but i got your point

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Knicks are interested in PG Aaron Brooks, who was waived today by Houston. The interest is mutual.</p>&mdash; Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/statuses/351414820450480128">June 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Regarding Aaron Brooks, his agent a month ago mentioned to me that the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Knicks&amp;src=hash">#Knicks</a> would be a good fit for him if the opportunity was there.</p>&mdash; Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statuses/351415222638100480">June 30, 2013</a></blockquote>

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah I guess it's a good problem to have. As long as we get Dwight though..

17. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I think out of Delfino, Brooks, Garcia, the one most likely to return would be Delfino. Not because he's necessarily better than the others or more prized by the Rockets, but simply because of the contract circumstances around his injury. Teams will be more hesitant to pursue Carlos due to the injury as opposed to the other two. That yields a better chance that he'll be around for the Vet Min when he's healed up and all the other teams have finished their free agent signings and spent their money.

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Lin or Asik or both we get rid of and get some quality bench players and a quality PG

19. SuraGotMadHops

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pWa0dZMHYeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rox waiving Brooks, Delfino not news to either. Agents for both were told last month. Talks ongoing to open rest of cap room needed.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/351449434007142404">June 30, 2013</a></blockquote>