1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs Thunder?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SeeingRocketRed

How do you guys rate the Rockets' lineup vs the Thunder now?

In reading the Oklahoma City boards to gauge their reaction to our signing of Howard, I noticed that they seemed underwhelmed and still considered themselves the easy favorites to win the west, and favorites in a series against us. They said that Perkins has played well against Dwight in the past, and that they generally consider us behind OKC, San Antonio, Clippers, and even Denver.

I don't think that confidence is probably warranted.

The Thunder lose Martin, a decent scorer who was a 42% 3 point shooter who makes 89% of his free throws, and hope to replace him with Lamb, an unproven commodity. They haven't added anyone else of note. The Thunder have gotten a bit worse, and the Rockets have gotten a bit better, and the first 2 games of the playoff series (when they had Westbrook) were decided by 3 points each.

Furthermore, the Rockets can match up as well defensively with OKC as any team could, with Beverly and Garcia effectively defending Durant and Westbrook on the wing, then having Dwight defending at the rim (and Asik even when Dwight's resting).

The Rockets also have a player in Lin who can be used better and has a huge, already-demonstrated upside when he is attacking confidently. Lin and Harden like passing to big men who can finish at the rim. Harden got a little frustrated last year when his lobs weren't snagged or his passes were fumbled away, so I see this being a potential boon to the Rocket's offense.

Overall, I think oddsmakers would pick the Thunder by a razor's edge in a far-off anticipated playoff matchup between the 2 teams, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets could beat them in 5 or 6.

2. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

How do they consider us behind Denver? That is just laughable

3. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Kendrick Perkins should have been amnestied. IMO depending how McHale handles the landscape of the team, we could hang with them or SA who did nothing to improve their team. Houston and Golden State improved while the others stayed pat. Also, will Westbrook be the same after knee surgery? I'm sure he will still be as impactful but maybe not the same freak athlete. Time will tell.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If there's one guy that's been known to give Dwight trouble... it's Perkins. That deal might actually turn out great for them when it's all said and done.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ok... I gotta say it in the playoffs against okc Lin didn't even look like he belonged in the nba. I don't see the upside with him going against the elite point guards in this league in playoff pressure the best is to hope he overcomes whatever it is and plays better because it's not to coach. Outside of that I love what Howard could bring and we could beat okc depending on our chemistry and defense with Dwight.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Houston gains Dwight, OKC loses Martin. Id say the teams are about equal now.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Delusional, although they do have Durant, the second best player in the NBA.

Take it in context; it's a very blue-collar, bland state, and there's not much to do in OK besides hate Obama and follow OSU sports & the Thunder.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

If Asik stays, Houston>JOKElahoma

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You mean OU sports. Like Texas A&M, OSU is an afterthought for most people. Nothing against those programs, but they are nowhere near the flagship programs OU and Texas.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lin << Westbrook
    Harden >> Sefolosha
    Parsons << Durant
    Dmo? <<< Ibaka
    Dwight >>> Perkins

Hou Bench > OKC bench

11. bmd

bmd Member

Texas A&M did right by joining the SEC.

A&M is on the way up big-time. Texas is an afterthought at the moment. They suck at every sport.

12. bmd

bmd Member

That is too simplistic. Players don't just guard their position.

You aren't comparing their defense vs. the other's offense.

And you aren't taking into account how much better a match-up is compared to the other. Is the matchup just slightly better or a lot better?

There are just way too many variables to compare teams with arrows based on position.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Notice the number of arrows varies?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup and okc has one extra arrow. We are doomed.

1 person likes this.
  15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

A&M could win the next five national championships in all three major sports and they would still be playing second fiddle to the Horns. There is really no way to get over that hump.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oklahoma folk just learned what basketball was a few years ago, their analysis means less than nothing. That said, I think the Rockets will take a while to get going at peak levels. The Thunder will still be pretty good but since the West got better it's hard to pick a legit "favorite".

The Thunder, Clippers, Spurs (maybe), Warriors, and Rockets all have legitimate shots at winning the West.

17. JD88

JD88 Member

Dwight Howard, when hes playing like Dwight Howard, is the best center in the league by far. People point to his last season in LA as the new norm for him, but he averaged 21 and 15 the season before that. In the high octane play style of the Rockets, its not unreasonable to think he may average 24 and 14 per game. If he does, nobody, and I mean nobody, is a clear favorite to beat us. Ever.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It remains to be seen how Howard and the team play together but, at this moment, I think the Thunder are still the better team but not by much. If Parson continues to develop (I think he will benefit the most of any Rocket by playing with D12), Lin gains comfort in the offense and one of our young PFs develop into a legitimate 20 minutes per game player, then OKC and the entire league could be in trouble.

If those things happen AND Harden takes the next step as a superstar (better shot selection and better use of the clock) then its over for everyone else.

19. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

If we trade Asik we will have to trade Lin to create cap space for a comparable player. My prediction is that we will trade him.

Beverly
    Harden
    Parsons
    Beast
    Dwight

We would have a hole at PG but it would be interesting to see have Beverly will play as a starter after he settles down.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really think that happens. I think Asik plays as the best backup in the league and Lin keeps his starting job. The depth of the Rockets will be hard to overcome.