1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Trivia: who was the architect GM of Clutch City? CD or Steve Patterson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Who was the GM who built Clutch City?

1. CD

35 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. SP

132 vote(s)
    79.0%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Who voted for CD ? That guy didn't do **** but mess up the franchise. Three first round picks for Griffin, Cato's huge contract, trade away young talent for big names, the draft picks except for Mobley (Yao was a no brainer).

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats to our first great GM, Steve Patterson.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/...ve-patterson-as-athletic-director/#15450101=0

AUSTIN – Arizona State’s Steve Patterson has agreed to become the next athletic director at Texas, a UT source confirmed on Tuesday.

Patterson, a 1984 graduate of UT’s law school, has been Arizona State’s athletic director since March 2012. He previously served as president of the Portland Trail Blazers from 2003-2007, senior vice president of the Houston Texans from 1997-2003, and general manager of the Houston Rockets from 1989-’93.

With the Rockets, he helped build the team that won an NBA championship in 1994, and later was part of the group that brought the Texans and the Super Bowl to Houston. While with the Texans, Patterson played key roles in getting Reliant Stadium built.

Last month, current UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds announced his intentions to step down next summer. School president Bill Powers said he hoped to have a replacement hired by the end of this year.

West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck, another UT law school alumnus and former Houston Dynamo executive, had been considered the frontrunner for the job and interviewed with UT’s advisory committee within the past week.

But Patterson, 55, impressed Powers and the committee in his interview and agreed to accept the job on Tuesday.

Patterson was GM of the Rockets from 1989-93 where he father Ray, had been the GM and president for 18 years. Steve later worked for the Aeros, the Texans and Portland Trail Blazers and ran his own sports consulting firm.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

All this happened BEFORE LES ALEXANDER.

No Rocket fan who understands time and dates and history should give credit to LES for ANY OF THESE PLAYERS.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pop quiz:

Who has the ego to bump his own thread not once, not twice, but THREE times over the span of 7 YEARS?

No hints

5. tinman

Supporting Member

ANSWER: THE TRUTH

FACTS NEVER CHANGE

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Balance what he did to the Longhorns with what he did for the Rockets and you have a net zero effect. I love and hate the guy.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Les fired the GM who built Clutch City and took credit for himself and plastered his face on murals.

Steve Patterson never plastered his face on UT murals.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Good ? I voted Patterson but my memory wasn't as good as I hoped.

Anyone notice that les fired him immediately to hire CD? Hope the new ownership doesn't show Morlie the door :eek:

tinman likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

That's OK Clutch, STEVE PATTERSON made sure he wasn't the next Buck Johnson.

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Cd was not a terrible GM but he wasn't the greatest. Yao wasn't a no brainer. In fact Francis and Mobley were lobbying to have the pick traded for Lamar Odom. He got us Francis one year from Vancuver for Michael Dickerson and got Mobley which resulted to Mcgrady. He also handled the Pippen fiasco the best he could. CD was not a bad GM. He is however just not responsible for creating Clutch city. Yes trading Richard Jefferson for Eddie Griffin was a boneheaded move but he wanted to take the risk for a big man that looked real promising.

12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Maybe he's not arrogant, but the essence and mystique of walking into Memorial Stadium completely changed during his tenure. The opposite could be said for his time with the Rockets. I know this place is about the Rockets, but for me personally, he's not batting a thousand.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I hope the new ownership honor's Steve Patterson!
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/pattest99x.html

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm so glad we had a great GM like Steve Patterson who knew more than us fans

I'm also grateful that you care about Rockets history which I wish more people here do

@BeardNation13

LFE171 likes this.