1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Trivia: who was the architect GM of Clutch City? CD or Steve Patterson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Who was the GM who built Clutch City?

1. CD

35 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. SP

132 vote(s)
    79.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can't predict injuries or that a majority of the team would get kicked off for cocaine.
    especially after your team has made to the NBA Finals and beat the defending champion Lakers to get there.

What did Chicago do in the 86 season?

hindsight is 20/20. If you go back and sit Sampson the game he hurt his hip, then we would be talking about Clutch City.. like 87,88,89,90

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, Rudy T influenced a lot of the decisions. Patterson was daddy's kid and he made some good and bad decisions - but mostly i think his biggest contirbution was getting Maxwell and Smith.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Yea the issue was if was ok with Sampson playing style you shouldn't have tried to bulk him up. Sampson did not have the body type to muscle him up. Thats where the knee injuries came from.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

No it wasn't.

Sampson took a nasty fall in Boston. Per his own words, the resulting back issues from the fall, led to him running differently, thus causing chronic knee injuries.

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I thought Bob Weinhauer built Clutch City?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude. Ralph Sampson was basically Kevin Garnett. His "injuries" spawned because he got injured (different from being fragile aka you know who) during a game in Boston. They didn't treat his injury correctly so that's where the knee problems arose. he should have sat out a year, but back in the day, you just play.

if Yao played back in the day, his career would be over cause they would have forced him to play.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2006_4062974

What the Rockets also didn't know was the first crack in their foundation had appeared when Sampson was undercut while going for a rebound at Boston Garden on March 24. There was a sickening thud when his head cracked against the parquet floor. However, the real damage was done to his back and left hip.

Big man hobbled

Sampson sat out for the first time in his career, missing three games and coming back with a limp. When he began to overcompensate for the pain in his hip, it led to the start of knee problems that would require three operations and cut short his career as an All-Star player. For the final six weeks of the regular season, Fitch closed practice to the media to keep a lid on the extent of the injury.

"It was hard thing to see," Fitch said. "A lot of days, he could barely run, and he couldn't do anything to stop Dream defensively."

"I was never the same from the time I went down in Boston," Sampson said. "It was like I couldn't play my game."

8. tinman

Supporting Member

thanks another false perception that people tend to think as fact here.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Harold Miner is one I can be proud to say I was so glad they didn't go down that road. By drafting Horry, they drafted the modern day power foward. who knew

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Time for Rockets trivia again.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Guilty here as well. I was pissed when they did not draft Baby Jordan.

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The ultimate moneyball move right here!

13. parmesh

parmesh Member

Dawson was actually... quite a terrible GM. He gave out absolutely horrible contracts, and we were worse than mediocre for a long time. His stuff finally came off of the books this year. Long time for a fresh start for Mr. Morey.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was in the crowd somewhere with you dodging paper being thrown from the stands (while taking pictures with the Miller Beer girls). I couldn't believe that pick, either. Miner was the next Jordan, and I knew it! I used to have a picture I took of the draftboard they were using to show the picks on-stage. I'm not sure what I did with it. It would've been cool to look back on, though.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rockets trivia #2.

Which of the following had the most impact on our 2 championships and 1986 final appearance.

1. Tanking
    2. Anything else

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Speaking of Steve Patterson, I thought this interview of him was a fascinating listen back when Pritchard just got fired:

http://www.750thegame.com/pages/7554381.php

Gives an idea of the inner workings of a draft room, how relationships matter when making deals, and some poignant comments on ownership and how he deals with them. For me personally, it made me appreciate Les a lot more. Yes the irony is that Les was the one who fired him.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Steve Patterson, proud graduate of Dulles High School, class of '75.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What I recall hearing at the time is that we got Vernon from SA for $50,000 cash. An incredible deal!

19. Nook

Nook Member

Patterson was a mixed bag. He and his father deserve some credit obviously, but don't forget that they wasted the first half of his career surrounding him with garbage.

Also, during Patterson's reign he was getting a great deal of influence from Dawson and Rudy T. Indeed, Dawson probably would have been the Rockets coach if not for serious health issues.

Hard to say how good Dawson really was, he was told to go for it and try to maximize the years left with the stars we had, and that meant over paying for players.

Dawson I think would have been a good head coach, or great lead assistant. He really worked well with players... but he didn't emphasize scouting like the Rockets do now, and as a result he had some BAD drafts.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry... "him" is Dream.