1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets to try for Blake, Millsap, CP3, or Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 21, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm saying do your due diligence and gauge interest with all possible parties - starting with the guy that can most help your team in its present configuration - which would be an all-star pf so you kick Ryno's bloated contract outta town... not with the 32 yr old guy who you'd have to shuffle your whole team to accommodate by taking your existing superstar off ball... not to mention costing an extra 5M/yr as you pinch pennies trying to find space...

Pressing for a commitment from a Clipper and taking it to heart.... now that's wanting to fail - just ask Mark Cuban...lol .;)

roslolian likes this.
  2. kjayp

for the same reason people want CP3 - he's a big name and people think its just about adding talent rather than what fits your needs...
    superstar superstar gotta get a superstar dont matter what position dont mattr what age gotta get a superstar gotta try to get as many as Golden State gotta get a superstar any superstar dont matter what cost gotta get a superstar....lol

napalm06, roslolian and kwakmeister like this.
  3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

How's West going to convince him to stay? Their core is falling apart and at 32, CP3 doesn't have the luxury of waiting around for a rebuild, even one predicated on trying to entice MVP-caliber talent to join him in a year. We can offer that framework now, and when you have two MVP-caliber players in place, it's much easier to get a third. And don't underestimate the power of his relationship with D'Antoni (Team USA).

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

If the Rockets could hypothetically make the room to add CP3 and Blake Griffin..would that be enough of a star-core to take us somewhere?

5. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Well after the new reports of Blake despising CP3 you can possibly kiss that goodbye

6. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Don't know, while I would be very excited to have Chris Paul, I wonder how he would mesh with Harden. CP3 gives everything, while Harden has yet to do so, I wonder if CP3 getting on Harden will cause damage.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. kjayp

"he could either re-sign with the Clippers for a lucrative five-year, $205 million deal or sign for no more than four years at $152 million with another team. That’s $53 million and an extra year of employment Paul would leave on the table if he headed elsewhere."

and if he does decide to leave $53M or more on the table bc he wants a ring... where r u gonna go - Houston or San Antonio?

roslolian likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Clippers arent that stupid. Thats too much money

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden is not a guy to take criticism well. I'm not sure how Harden would take CP3. CP3 is notoriously annoying to the weak-minded. CP3's nit-picking wears down seven-footers.

kjayp, roslolian and cheke64 like this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If we can get chris paul or lowry and one star up front either millsap or blake we should be in decent shape. In l.a. blake was either 2nd or 1 st scoring option behind chris paul. In houston Blake or Millsap will be the third or second scoring option. Blake can create his own shot and is a very good passer at his position. Defences won't be able to double tean Blake or paul anymore with harden on the floor ever. That means clear paths to dunk where he is not afraid to use his body and dunk on someone. Clint is still young but he is still soft as Charmin. Nene has his moments as we saw in the playoffs but he is just Old and it clearly shows. Whether it be his groin hurting or the white hairs on his head, the man is just a back up for limited minutes at this point of his career. The only thing that scares me is that we clearly proved that we weren't as deep of a roster as we thought we were. We're still burning out Ariza. James still needs to be on the floor. If one of our big guys go down we have no bench at all and run a short roster. I love that we're aiming for stars but we still need depth.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

IMHO getting Chris Paul will be suicide for the Rockets, it will eventually sour things between harden and houston and Harden will leave in FA, resulting in Houston being stuck with an old and broken ass Chris Paul.

The days of having tough, "old as nails", strict competitors like CP3 or KG are done, the new gen didn't grow up sucking MJ's space jam t***, they are more attuned to clowning in the sidelines and dominating on the court while "making it look easy". This is why Harden parties a night before a playoff game, this is the IN thing to do now being so serious and killing your teammates for every mistake is TRY HARD behavior and something only losers and nerds do. I mean why did KD go to GSW? It's the ultimate chill experience to get a ring you play with 4 other superstar and pwn all the other noobs and then you dance on the court after every 3 pter you make and party all night afterwards. Then they go to film room and watch GIFS of Lebron crying his eyes out and laugh their asses off because he tries too hard.

As such, if you bring Chris Paul here he and Harden will clash on Day 1 probably just on defensive effort alone (we all know Harden can defend if he wants to, dude can break the ankles of every defensive athletic freak sent to guard him but can't defend an unathletic pg 4 inches shorter than he is? C'mon now it's because if he tries hard on defense it won't look as cool as making the cooking sign).

Griffin, Millsap, ok get those guys we need players who don't wilt in the playoffs unlike Anderson. Lowry...IMHO he is just slightly better than Bev and not worth his contract. He looks good in the Leastern conference but will be exposed if he plays in the West, just like Jrue Holiday Pelicans thought they were getting an allstar guard when they got him but he turned out to be mediocre when matched against the big (small) boys of the West like Curry, Harden, Cp3, Westbrook etc.

Torn n Frayed and whiskeyred like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Staps is the new Terminator model of Dmo.

The Greyhound 33 likes this.
  13. dream2franchise

'I may be old, but I'm spry...'

Fullcourt and TheFreak like this.
  14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain our front office knows and has asked Beard his opinion on all these possibilities. If anything comes of this, or any of these players I'm willing to bet it has Beard's blessing.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think the only player that we might have a remote chance of getting would be Blake. A Harden/ Blake combo on offense could be dangerous, provided if Morey can clear up cap room, without weakening the team.

kjayp likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well... So did Dwight Howard and Ty Lawson.

kjayp likes this.
  17. rockets13champs

I want Millsap and Cp3... that's a great trio with harden

18. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ibaka to HTown?

DonKnock, Sooner423 and Stormy1234 like this.
  20. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Grab the best talent you can regardless of position and make it work.