1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets To Sign Danuel House

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBJr7, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Morey did it.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And to your Point B (above) about conserving MLE money this Summer, we can also add that if the buyout candidate (Point 1 above) outperforms his contract (more than 120% of what he signs for), we might need MLE room to resign this summer, assuming the buyout is just for remainder of the year.

An example would be Josh Smith, right? We outbid others with the bi-annual (in the WCF year), and he outperformed re-signing him to Non-Bird, yet we were withholding an MLE offer for him, reserving for Llull and others. Since he signed with Clippers for minimum, there are probably better examples out there for other teams....just making the point that the Buyout candidate could also factor in to Summer MLE plans, should he be a keeper.

saleem, Deuce and BimaThug like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can't we sign House and Rivers to a 3 year contract like we did Clark?

4. heypartner

Yes, fully agree. But that's a Best Case Scenario for Morey -- multiyears at significantly less than remaining MLE. We're talking like $2m less in some scenarios, right? I'd need help with the proration math.

Example​
    • Right now, our MLE is $3.88m
    • How much is House's prorated vet Min currently ($1.512m non-prorated)
    • How much is a 7yr veteran's current Vet Min right now (ie, what GSW can pay)
    • How much is a "sliver" left-over to give a GLeague player?
    • Ignoring vet min proration math, to outbid a 7yr Vet Min offer for a buyout by just $100k, our MLE is reduced to $1.7m, which is just $200k over House's Vet Min, and for him to sign for just $200k more at extra years means he is likely giving up a bigger payday this Summer.
    I'm assuming Morey and House's agent are arguing this multi-year contract point at this very moment; hence, the need to conserve his NBA Days by holding him out of practice. If so, I'm caving and voting for giving him too much remaining MLE (vs having enough to also outbid buyouts), in order to maximize the use of the 120% non-Bird raise this summer.

======================================

Here's our current MLE, and prorating math. What is the prorating math of the Vet Min scales?

Do you think "most" of the Taxpayer MLE would have survived bidding for a healthy Luc? All?

One could easily argue without an injury, we again would have been outbid...as it would have had to be "all" (with Morey refusing to scrap Isaiah's favorable signing, and potential Melton one). I think Morey might still balk at paying full MLE, and believe Luc gets it in a non-injured scenario.

#224 heypartner, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    HTown_TMac likes this.
  5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

House yes, Rivers no. Clark was on a 2 way contract and we converted that to a minimum salary regular contract. We can do the same with House, it's likely they are negotiating over length of contract and possibly giving him more than the min by using some money from our MLE. Rivers is already on a 1-year vet min. We can only offer him that again next year or the MLE, which will likely be the tax-paying one at just over $5m. We have to wait till the summer to do that.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not sure where you're getting the "7-yr vet minimum" figure from. House is a 2-yr vet, so he cannot make more than the (prorated) 2-yr vet minimum under the Minimum Player Salary Exception.

As far as vet minimum prorations go, they begin to prorate downward by 1/177th immediately upon the start of the regular season, unlike the MLE and BAE (which don't begin to prorate downward until Jan. 10). So, just go to the minimum salary table from Larry Coon's FAQs, divide by 177, then multiply by the number of days remaining in the regular season as of the date signed. Voila! There's your prorated vet minimum salary.

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

To play for the Houston Rockets NBA basketball franchise.

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Too bad CP3 fleeced us for every penny we have so we have to nickle and dime every single contract.

9. heypartner

I'm talking about vet min of buyouts. I was just throwing out a 7yr vet as an example.

Let me try some math:
    • So, at buyout waiver deadline (March 1st), a 7yr Vet Min would be $458K (40 days left in year).
    • At that time, the MLE would have prorated down by $1,078,000 (49days from today at $22k/day) to $2.8m (per Mark's tweet)
    • If we sign House today, his Vet Min is ~$768K. Let's call that at least $1m in order to entice him to sign multi-year.
    So, if we sign House to $1m today (prorated, dipping into MLE), then we'll have $1.8m of pro-rated MLE left on March 1st. Right?

Here's the Vet Min scale (prorated). What should we expect as a payment to outbid those? Any examples from history?

[​IMG]

Now I see the math of the tweet you sent out a few days ago. The Vet Min prorates significantly faster than the MLE. Looks like we have roughly $1.3m to outbid with, even after giving House a little of MLE to entice him to sign extra years, I just hope the $1m I suggested to pay House is enough.

#229 heypartner, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cleverly disguised Morey is a horrible GM & the Tillman is broke/cheap post.

;)

11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

...not how the Salary Cap works

RudyTBag and Williamson like this.
  12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

So you are saying the more a player cost it has no effect on our salary cap? Do explain.

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Actually I think neither of those things. I just don't like people claiming to be one thing when in reality their actions do not match.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

WOW, you have no clue how the salary cap works yet you wanna call people out.

Richie_Rich, clutchdabear and kjayp like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

If you're using his bird rights while over the cap anyway, yes. We only have MLE and vet mins to offer.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Cool so you are saying CP3's contract has nothing to do with the cap. Interesting theory. It is as if he doesn't exists I guess.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

the salary cap is approx 102M
    we are spending 132M
    we are 30M over the cap.
    We were able to go over the cap to re-sign CP3 (since we have his bird rights)
    CP3 is making 35.6M
    Once we paid CP3 5.6M or more, we no longer had any capspace to sign anybody else.

In other words, other than the 5.6M, the money we are paying CP3 could not have been spent on anybody else...
    we could be paying him 5.6M or 10M or 15M or 20M or 30M or 35.6M - we still would not have extra capspace available to sign a different free agent...

make sense?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Locking up House for 3 years might end up being more beneficial than having an edge to sign a buyout.

House has been producing as a legitimately solid starter. At 25, with his size, ability to hit 3's and hold his own defensively, he could end up being someones MLE this offseason.

If he'd take a 2 year min, great.

But I also wouldn't complain if we gave him 3 year 9 mil deal, he's been then good for us.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

It actually doesn't because we are signing people. We signed Gary Clark and planning on signing House.

20. jboslett

jboslett Member

From mid level exception (MLE) money, which can be used in excess of the salary cap.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.