1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to meet with Andre Iguodala

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for posting @J.R. grest read

Sounds like the Warriors just rebuked all SnTs to the Rockets thus somewhat holding Iggy hostage with their ability to pay more. They should have helped make him happy for everything he did for them. Sounds like he wanted to go play for Rockets in a funner situation. Which was one of Durants reasons to jump ship too

Another reason to say Warriors suck for not helping a dedicated player like Iggy start his final chapter in the NBA

#561 heypartner, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Somewhere cuban is reading that piece and saying, "But, They didnt even have a cartoon animation of him. How could it be one of the best presentations ever?".

Also, Im prefectly fine with PJ Tucker. Fugg that whole gs franchise.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually pretty decent insight and details. Thought it'd be a pretty useless article.

That aside, I honestly can't pinpoint Iggy's value. Sure he won a Finals MVP... but that was basically a consolation award.
    Is he that effective coming off the bench for any other team?
    He'd have been a great add, for sure, I'm just not that upset about it given they picked up Tucker and Luc.

roslolian and DonKnock like this.
  4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

While I would've loved Iggy here (if we didn't lose the ability to keep Nene and acquire CP3), I'm happy with Tucker as well.

That said, if we signed Iggy it would've be a double-whammy of value, in that we'd be hurting GS and we'd be getting one of their veteran leaders (on top of what he offered to our team as a player).

Iguodala is incredibly overlooked in his role as the necessary glue to make GS's death lineups as scary as they are. He's essentially the perfect 5th man to join the Warriors' 4 All-Stars, in that he's 6'6", can guard four positions effectively, shoots 62.4 TS%, has over a 5-1 A/TO ratio, and is fine with a laughably low 11.4 USG%. Sure, any lineup with their "Big-4" is elite, no matter whether the 5th guy is Zaza, H.Barnes, Bogut or even the new addition Nick Young, but Iguodala helps make that lineup borderline perfect/unbeatable.

roslolian likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think they're upfront with how they're going to use the fa. Sometimes it's money, other times it's playing time, how much influence they have on the coach and spotlight

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

That was my big takeaway from this story. Harden is the high-level assassin ninja, but CP3 is going to be the arch villain pulling the strings. Someone needs to whip up a photoshopped pic of him with a monocle, putting a Persian cat.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

great insight in that read

CP3 is a professional assassin. It's like he has been trained at McKinsey

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. heypartner

There is extra value in Iggy over PJ Tucker, because it takes Iggy off the Warriors. That's why the presentation was able to make a strong case for beating the Warriors vs one to PJ. Plus a SnT would still allow the MLE for PJ anyhow. Your sleeves are shorter than Morey's. :D

And that's probably also why the Warriors rebuked any SnTs with the Rockets. Iggy probably got more money from them, too, than originally planned.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where was that in the article? Sounded like he wanted to go to the Ws all along but at the salary he wanted. Then after Rockets PowerPoint he wanted to come here. Then he double-checked with GSW to see if they'd give him his desired salary, and they did. End of Iggy free agency.

10. JayZ750

Yes, sure. Though I've never liked the idea of sign guy off old team to make that team weaker. Of course it makes sense, but I think the bigger picture/point is which players make sense on your squad. I think in the past DM has been a little too eager to do moves just to do moves. Like Dwight, like Ty... not that I wouldn't have done the same, but I'm not the GM making millions.... talent trumps, but chemistry HAD taken a back seat to just sign talent and make it work later... whereas last off-season chemistry and fit was perhaps prioritized more.

Mind you, I don't see that as the case here. Iggy would likely have been a really solid fit, and better than PJ/Luc as option 1/2 off the bench with Gordon.

I'm just curious as to Iggy's value on a team not named the Warriors... and think $16 million a year is really high... and just think it more likely then less that a move to the Rockets from the Warriors, with a big payday, would inevitably come with a less effective Iggy. Just from a human nature perspective... going from that dynastic team another squad... a squad trying to compete and win rings, too, but not on that level.

In short, I just wasn't in love with the idea of chasing Iggy.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. heypartner

I don't think he went back to GSW to say the Rockets were offering the MLE, but had a great presentation. How would that scare GSW, more than just being a bluff? He signed for double per year what we could offer, and $16m more in total money (3yr package to our best 4yr).

You're right, I'm assuming he went back to make a bluff that he'd leave for MLE, and try to make the case they could at least do a SnT. And they probably laughed...."Iggy, just take the $16m/yr...that's double what they can offer."

DonKnock likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gotta be really impressed with the power of the presentation and the intent to nail it; this FO is dynamic and as alert as one can be.

Shirley, disappointed at the outcome but dadgum pleased with the effort.

TF - - take note while moving forward with 'our' team.

13. heypartner

You might not have wanted to chase Iggy, but don't understate your desire to see him leave GSW for someone else, if not us.

In one sentence you say signing a guy to make a rival weaker isn't an idea to which you give much value. But then you say how valuable chemistry is. If nothing else, Iggy is a perfect chemistry player off the bench for GSW. That's going to hurt their bench a lot, losing him. And they win a lot of games in the 2nd Q by keeping the peddle to the floor when other teams have to go to benches with less chemistry.

I'm with you that Iggy vs PJ is a toss-up. And had we gotten both (ie SnT with Iggy and MLE with PJ) that would pretty much eliminate Melo due to Hard cap....after using up some assets in the Iggy SnT...and likely going right up to the cap to pay him.

I'm fine with what Morey did. Just wish GSW wasn't able to sign Iggy back.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad, he definitely would have been a huge asset for us and improved our team. Hoping Tucker/Moute can fill that role a bit.

Jayzers_100 and Pen15clubber like this.
  15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I have a feeling with the addition of those two and cp3 we are going to see a fresh Ariza. Career high 3pt %

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

while he is likely to benefit by now paying with cp3 as well I don't think hell ever get higher than his career high in washington a few years ago at 40%. Realistically im hoping for just below that as an improvement of such

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Yes true. He was a beast that year. But imagine if he could match that with some fresh legs?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah for sure. crossing my fingers our core stays healthy for the most part this year again

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. JayZ750

Oh yeah, absolutely agree with that.

I wish Iggy went somewhere else and actually am pretty shocked GSW spent that much to retain him. His salary should be pretty costly for the Warriors in 2-3 years. For all the KD hate, KD taking less helps them do these moves, I guess.

I do think him leaving GSW would be a negative for them, though they'd still be easily the odds-on favorite.

20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

dude has serious chronic back issues, would have been a terrible signing by morey. Plus i dont want any ex warriors on the team i root for. Let him sign with the kings