1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stats analysis suggestions - for a conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by intergalactic, May 12, 2009.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Hi All,

There is a scientific conference that I'm thinking of attending in September (the 2009 New England Symposium on Statistics in Sports). I have experience in scientific research and am thinking of putting together some kind of project for it. I know plenty of stats but haven't done much basketball analysis. I'd like to do a project related to the Rockets and basketball in general.

If anybody has any suggestions for good statistical questions, and more criticially, if they can point me to some available data, I'd be much appreciative. If I end up getting to present the work, I'll be sure to shoutout to Clutchfans and your handle.

I am thinking of questions along the lines of : How important is height for centers? (interesting issue for Chuck Hayes and Yao), or how poorly are Rockets players rated by stats such as PER? (interesting issue for defensive-minded players like Battier, Artest, Lowry, Hayes, etc.)

Thanks.

2. intergalactic

I should mention that I went to this conference previously, and it was attended by a lot of the stats-minded people interested in the NBA (Hollinger, Rosenbaum, Wolfers, etc), so good ideas have a good chance of being heard.

3. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

There was an article just posted from ESPN where Morey says quantifying defensive performance is an area that needs work.

I read another article awhile back where he said nobody has figured out how performance in other leagues (e.g. Eurpoean leagues) will translate to the NBA.

Are you looking to analyse existing data or develop your own? This will have a big impact on what you might be able to analyse.

4. intergalactic

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to analyze existing data. Defensive quantitation is a good idea. My impression from the conference last year is that the existing analyses which have been publicly discussed are not that sophisticated -- mostly a bunch of linear correlations of things like shooting % vs winning %, scoring vs winning, etc. I'm sure Morey has much better analysis since he can keep people working on this full-time, but he keeps it in-house.