1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SLA, Jul 28, 2003.

?

Who should start?

1. Steve Francis

202 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Cuttino Mobley

171 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. Yao Ming

200 vote(s)
    95.7%
  4. Eddie Griffin

127 vote(s)
    60.8%
  5. Eric Piatkowski

89 vote(s)
    42.6%
  6. Maurice Taylor

68 vote(s)
    32.5%
  7. Glen Rice

76 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Bostjan Nachbar

45 vote(s)
    21.5%
  9. Kelvin Cato

29 vote(s)
    13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SLA

SLA Member

Which one is the best?

1) Steve Francis, Eric Piatkowski, Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, and Yao Ming

2) Steve Francis, Eric Piatkowski, Cuttino Mobley, Maurice Taylor, and Yao Ming

3) Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Glen Rice, Eddie Griffin, and Yao Ming

4) Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Glen Rice, Maurice Taylor, and Yao Ming

5) Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, Maurice Taylor, and Yao Ming

I think Cuttino Mobley and Eric Piatkowski are both capable of guarding most small forwards because although they are short...they are quick enough to defend them. Or we can defend in a zone as a cheap way...or just lead them to Yao and Griffin. On defense...it would be better to have Yao and Griffin together to block shots. But on offense...it would be better to have Yao and Taylor both playing inside...unless Griffin is taught how to get easy baskets and make open shots.

Who would you rather have starting? Glen Rice or Eric Piatkowski? Maurice Taylor or Eddie Griffin? Or should Bostjan Nachbar or Kelvin Cato start? Or should Eddie Griffin play at the 3? OR should Cuttino Mobley be benched?

It would be a good idea to start various players depending on the matchups and what we need..

#1 SLA, Jul 28, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2003
  2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I voted for

PG Steve
    SG Cat
    SF Glen Rice
    PF Taylor
    C Yao Ming

I think this lineup has the ability to put points on the board, Yao, Steve and cat all three DEMAND a double team, and Yao at times depending on who he is playing could demand a triple team. So with those guy having to be doubled with the ball in their hands it is only logical to put vertern shooters on the floor, now I would say Pike could play in Glen Rice's spot, but there is a debate about his size.

3. farhan007

farhan007 Member

but we can replace aging Rice wth another awsome 3pt shooter
    (Eric Piatkowski). Plus he can also sometimes drive in...

4. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

we're 2 deep in every position...and 3 deep at the 2...

Steve/Mooch
    Cat/Pike/Hawk
    Rice/Boki
    Griff/Taylor
    Yao/Cato

5. farhan007

farhan007 Member

mooch isnt considered a "deep". unless if you counted steve two times at the pg position... which then makes sense.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I gotta agree here I think I also need to point out that Rice/Boki can't even be considered 1 deep.:eek:

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't see a starting caliber small forward on your list, so I'm not voting.

(not your fault! :))

8. AlexVanderpool

steve
    piatkowski
    (resign posey or an athletic sf)
    griff
    yao

im a firm believer in the fact that cat needs to be our 6th man...he plays better off of the bench and he would give us a nice change-of-pace option when yao and steve take a seat a-la cassell back in the days....

piatkowski is just the sort of outside shooting guard that we need starting alongside steve and yao...we could finish the game with either cat or paitkowski, depending on who is shooting well.

we need some sort of athletic sf since piat is starting...boki is not ready to be a starter, but should get valuable bench time and be ready in a year or two...

pray that eddie gets tougher...

9. SonyPenguin

SonyPenguin Member

My line up:

Steve
    Cat
    Yao
    Griffen
    Piatkowski

10. SLA

SLA Member

Is James Posey a starting caliber small forward? If so...I should have added him! Because I hope he will still be a Rocket! :(

Anyways....about getting a backup point guard. Can Mobley be the backup point guard and starting shooting guard or small forward or backup guard?

11. Just B

Just B Member

PG- Steve Francis
    SG- Cuttino Mobley
    SF- Glen Rice (would pick Pike, but Rice is a more experienced leader, and the only one on the team who's ever won a playoff game)
    PF- Eddie Griffin
    C- Yao Ming

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think cato should start at power forward since the west is now supersized. Yao at C, Cato PF, Griiffin at SF, Cat at SG, Frachise PG... even if our gaurds are terrible defenders. hard to see someone getting easy baskets on our frontline

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope he is as well, or that we add someone through a trade.
    Cat is a perfect 6th man, as AlexV and many others have mentioned before. I would love the Rocks to have a situation that allowed him to reassume that role.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I object to the exclusion of Moochie Norris when every other contracted Rocket is listed.

15. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I agree with SOFINE, Taylor should start in front of Griff until Taylors proves he is unworthly of the spot. We will be a little weak defensively but should be able to score, both yao and MoT can step out a little and hit the j so we should be OK, granted we don't have a good SF.

16. jshabang

jshabang Member

In the eternal words of Lauryn Hill

"Nothing even Matters,..........At All"

It don't matter, if we don't make another move we might as well start scouting for next years draft, because the Western Conference is getting.............

In the eternal words of Bubba Sparxxxx

"Uglay.............Uglay........Uglay.................Uglayyyyyyyyyy"

17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

G 1999 rookie Cuttino (last point guard to lead us to the playoffs)
    G 2000 backup Mobley (who eventually proved to be a better starter)
    F 2001 Team leader in points and minutes "the Cat"
    F 2002 Cuttino 'playing the whole season on two bad ankles while others had to sit out 'cause their head hurts :( ' Mobley
    C 2003 Mobes (yeah hes a little undersized but hes our best defender)

18. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I like the spirit of your post. There's way too much Cat bashing. That being said: Cuttino "led us to the playoffs" in the same way that Kenny Smith led us to the playoffs.

19. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Hey it is what it is.

By the by, 6 three pointers by halftime, I never did say thankyou Kenny.

20. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

those 20 guys voted for Cato, did you mean to start him at 4? That is the only answer I can think of. I will be surprised if someone wants to start Cato over Yao at 5.