1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sloppy Play Continues in Loss to San Antonio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaybiddyforeal, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jaybiddyforeal

Another article from yours truly that will find its way on Yahoo eventually. Found out something pretty interesting during my write up. I bolded it for anyone that just wants to skip ahead.

Thanks for the read.

-James

Every team has this type of game. When passes don't connect, screens don't work, and shots rim out, losses pile up. The good teams shake one of these out of their system every month and get right back to their dominant ways thrashing though inferior competition on their road to the playoffs. Unfortunately, the Houston Rockets are not a good team.

Following an ugly win in Charlotte on Tuesday, the Rockets traveled to San Antonio on Wednesday to visit the Spurs who were also on the second night of a back to back. Like the Rockets, The Spurs played poorly the previous night falling to the Bucks when Richard Jefferson's game tying three-pointer hit the back of the rim as time expired.

The Spurs refused to fall victim to a second sub .500 team in as many nights as they managed to ward off the efforts of Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola to preserve a 105-101 overtime victory.

Tony Parker led the Spurs with 22 points, five rebounds, and eight assists and routinely wriggled through Rockets defenders at will on his way to an open shot. Tim Duncan added 17 points and 11 rebounds for his second double-double of the season. Duncan also passed Larry Bird for 27th on the NBA's all-time scoring list.

After a sizzling first quarter where the Rockets shot 65% from the field, their offense became stagnant relying on the one-on-one efforts of Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, and Kyle Lowry to create points. There was minimal ball movement and very rarely did any type of drive or screen result in an open look for the Rockets who shot 37% from the second quarter on.

Down five with under a minute remaining, Lowry nailed a three and Luis Scola converted on a layup with five seconds left to send the game into an extra period. After Lowry hit another three to bring the Rockets within one, the Spurs were able to convert their free throws and halt the Rockets comeback attempt.

Discounting the first quarter in the Spurs game, the Rockets have shot a woeful 38% from the field in their back to back set. Even more discouraging is they did it against two of the worst defensive teams in the league. San Antonio is 23rd in points allowed while Charlotte ranks 29th.

It is acceptable to have your offense out of whack when your defense is playing well. It is a recipe for disaster to have both go sour simultaneously. Seriously. Ask Rachel Ray.

Defensively Houston has given up a staggering 50% of their points in the paint this season. That is bad enough for 29th in the league, only ahead of Sacramento. Oddly enough the Rockets lost their best post post defender, Chuck Hayes, to Sacramento in free agency this summer.

The two biggest problems plaging Houston on the defensive end have been the pick and roll and the post up. Jordan Hill isn't strong enough to defend anyone on the low block and finds himself in constant foul trouble when trying to play physical. Samuel Dalembert is too slow to do anything constructive except block an occasional shot or two. And Luis Scola, well, he can't really defend anyone.

One can only wonder what Pau Gasol and NeNe would have been able to contribute had the Chris Paul deal been rightfully approved.

With little offense to speak of, and a non-existent defense, it is feasable the Rockets may finally find their way into the top half of the lottery giving them a shot at landing a franchise player in one of the most loaded drafts in recent memory.

It would be a nice consolation prize if Commissioner Stern could make the ping pong balls bounce the Rockets way come June. After all he did derail the plan of an entire franchise for no reason.

I mean basketball reasons.

2 people like this.
  2. houseofglass21

Weak and poorly written article. Did you not see the game? We were playing the Spurs + Refs last night

3. jaybiddyforeal

I watched the game twice.

Blaming the officiating is a cop out. Duncan traveled a few times but so did Scola and Martin None of it was called. I saw a few balls out of bounds on the Rockets that we retained. I'm not saying the officiating was great, but it seemed to even out in the end.

None of that underscores our pathetic interior defense or inefficient offense.

-James

1 person likes this.
  4. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I disagree that it is a poorly written article but also disagree with some of the stances taken in the article. Labeling the Rockets as a "poor" team is a little preemptive based on strength of schedule alone and not enough credit is given to San Antonio for the team defense played. At home, previous to this game, they were allowing a respectable 90.67 points per game. Like us, they are a much better home team and has always been a difficult arena to pull out a victory. But, the main point I am in agreement with is the interior defense. But, while the stat of the interior defense is horrid, our team defensive statistics show defensive woes across the board. We are ranked 27th in points allowed, 29th in field goals made(opponent), and 27th in opponent field goal percentage. The only bright spot on defense is our defense of the 3-point shot. We are ranked 7th in 3-point percentage and 3rd in 3-pointers made. These stats again showing all of our woes to be within the arc. Chuck's presence is sorely missed and Dalembert has been a band-aid that would have been a gushing cut without him. Without a trade I'm not sure that are in-the-paint troubles can be remedied as the skill-set of our players does not recommend much growth in that area.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do us a favor and don't spam your **** on our board.

If it's good, we'll find it.

Thank you.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So long as he's not trying to divert traffic elsewhere, I don't consider it spamming. He's just doing what everyone else here does -- posting his thoughts about the Rockets.

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

This team is terrible. You shouldn't expect much more.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep. This is what Clutch was talking about as far as people needing to chill out on policing others so harshly.

There's nothing wrong with what he did here. He didn't even post a link.

9. jaybiddyforeal

I'm not spamming anything. Unlike 99% of the other posters on here, I prefer to present my thoughts fluidly with decent punctuation.

There is no way to find anything I write because it isn't published anywhere. It has been submitted to yahoo but they take a week before any content is published. By that time, this write up would be useless.

Regardless, all I'm doing is providing my thoughts plus a little bit of analysis on the Rockets. Thats what the GARM is for, no?

-James

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The article is spot on and gets right to the heart of why we are a lottery team this season.

11. jaybiddyforeal

When a team can't score on bad defensive teams, and let up a ton of points to EVERY team, I would consider a team to be poor.

Even just from viewing the games from last season to now, the offense looks completely different. It is frustrating to see so many sloppy passes, dropped balls, contested shots, and overall confusion for at least 15 seconds nearly every possession.

In regard to the defensive three point shooting, I think that our success there is more a function of our deficiencies in the paint. Why chuck one up from 24 feet if you know you can get a good look from 5 feet.

-James

12. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Uh, thanks?

13. joesr

joesr Member

THIS

I cant stand with Fan-tism gets in the way and you blame the refs all the time. The funny thing is that the other fans of opposing teams are crying the same thing (something to think about??). We get our calls and our none calls.

I can recall so many moments when I think to myself, 'wow, good thing that wasn't called on us' and after seeing certain replays, laughing, thinking 'I bet that opposing player is pissed'.

Stop just watching the Rockets and pay attn to the whole game.

14. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Refs have been awful this season. Maybe they are missing their training camp too. I don't remember them being this bad before unless it's Brothers or Joey Crawford. Not a bad write up at all.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I think it is a fair assessment of where the team is as of right this second. But I think it is premature to start projecting our top lottery pick. Certainly if they continue to play at their current level it could happen, but there is reason to believe they will even out and end up closer to .500 by the end of the season based on what they have done the past two years. That is unless McHale continues to play Scola at center against opposing 7 footers as the "stopper" in the middle.

16. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

And you are correct. We have the 4th least 3 pt shots attempted against in the league confirming your theory.:)

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Who cares about the refs? This isn't 2006.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

To be a Rockets fan the last couple of years, you must REALLY be a Rockets fan. The record doesn't lie. We suck and it is high time to ship some of these one-way players off the team and start over. I thought that having Dalembert would help solve our most urgent need of protecting the paint, but in retrospect, the problems are much deeper than that.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

the word plaguing is misspelled. u wrote plaging. b sure to clean that up b4 submission

20. joesr

joesr Member

Honestly, people who want the worse track record should be enjoying the calls, lol.

I for one started watching some highlights on the lottery prospected players and oooooooh