1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sign Isaiah Taylor to 3 year Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Feb 27, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

If we needed to have one of them play this season, my choice would have been Payton. He is an energy player who can affect D immediately. Also a much better rebounder, which is a weakness on team currently. He would be a smaller Brewer with a better 3 ball.

But Morey and MDA value the offensive minded player more, so for an end of the bench player who will not get playing time, I can see why Taylor is the choice. Taylor may never be the defender Payton is, but his improved offensive repertoire plus speed combined with pesky D make him the better investment right now.

2. Buck Turgidson

I had kind of forgotten about him this year and was shocked to see how well he's been shooting the ball in RGV. Where was that last year? (or this year if he'd stayed). If he keeps it up, kudos to him, he's obviously been working hard on it.

Haven't looked at any of the videos, but has he bulked up a bit? He was a stick last season, and it hurt him on d and in the lane.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cool. That's a good sign that showing interest early on a player (last June) and inviting them to camp and featuring them on the Vipers can lead to business loyalty enough for a player/agent giving Morey an unofficial right of refusal if/when other teams call.

Btw: in those clips @craguin posted on 1st page, for a right-handed shooter, Taylor sure can attack left and finish with his left hand. In the second video, which was mainly driving and dishing with many left handed finishes, I even had to replay the first vid to confirm he shoots threes with his right.

Very refreshing to see someone so comfortable finishing with off hand

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Clutchfans already forgetting about Brewer!! Off Hand .... air ball layups. Let me know when Taylor has that skill.

5. heypartner

Seriously,,,is Taylor ambidextrous? In that 2nd vid on first page, you'd think he's left handed in everything he does, but then you see him take right handed threes

What say all you UT scouts on the bbs?

DonKnock likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

gave away KJ and Ennis to sign another scrub.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

YES FINALLY, now we have a legitimate backup PG to Harden. Love his 4th quarter scoring. Btw, why did IT change his last name from Thomas?

#87 jayfree, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You are just biased because Isaiah Taylor's father, Mo Taylor, is not as good as GPII's father, Shawn Kemp.

9. heypartner

Ah, Shawn Kemp, better known in Seattles locker room as The Gloveless.

Make sure you see tonight's 50th Anniversary celebration. Truly a Rockets family moment as we honor Scotty Brooks' son Aaron.

10. basketballholic

Agree with this. We've got shooters. But if Bev goes down, our defense will be hurting much more than our offense will be hurting. That's another reason why I believe this may be payoff for Taylor....especially if we turn around and cut Taylor. Taylor has no chance of helping us in the playoffs if Bev goes down. He will get totally roasted.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hof'er isiah thomas and ex-rocket maurice taylor combined int one player? i'll take it! i'll take anything over bobby brown

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're thinking of Jermaine.

[​IMG]

Wait, wrong Jermaine. This one:

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Motiejunas

Scrub player from a scrub college basketball program.

14. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

What's the over/under on the appreciation thread for this dude?

jayfree likes this.
  15. heypartner

I know right. Kevin Durant would be a much better player right now had he not gone to UT. Same with LaMarcus Aldridge and Avery Bradley.

16. Mr. Motiejunas

Different times. Talking about the current state of the program. Myles Turner only decent thing to come out of there in awhile.

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

LOl....NBDL SCRUB...Rockets love...

LOL

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Taylor is an NBA level athlete who is a consistent jump shot away from being a nice player. Has improved his shooting tremendously and deserves a shot. GOOD FOR HIM, I was hoping the Rox would sign him before someone else did.

robbie380 likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The current UT players in the NBA would compete with anyone.

Cory Joseph/DJ Augustine
    Avery Bradley
    Kevin Durant/PJ Tucker
    Lamarcus Aldridge/Tristan Thompson
    Myles Turner

DonKnock and don grahamleone like this.
  20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Taylor got a DNP - coaches decision last game. Trust that won't be happening again now that we signed him. Game starts in 10 minutes.