1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Demetrius Jackson to 2-way deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SC1211, Jul 28, 2017.

1. alethios

alethios Member

His floor is through the roof.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

The real question is he a 2 way player? ;)

Soneirom likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Jackpot!

4. j@amc

j@amc Member

Here's another predraft breakdown of Demetrius Jackson, with strengths and weaknesses. It's worth looking at on a slow news day.

What I liked: He's that typical 1 to 1 1/2 guard that Morey always seems to find (Lowry, Beverley, Lou Williams, Eric Gordon, Isaiah Canaan, etc.). Jackson lacks height but not athleticism. . . You can't fake a 40+ vertical or a 10.81 agility time. And he's doing that at 194 lbs.

Decent playmaker (or at least an upgrade over GPII). Pretty good off-the-ball as a catch and shoot guy. As primary ball handler, Jackson's okay. Guys his size have to learn how to avoid traps. He does throw it away in traffic but not because he's trying for a home run pass. Looks like he has good defensive presence, but in the clips, you'll see that Jackson drifts when he's playing zone. I wonder how he'll pick up team concepts.

I have every reason to think that he'll thrive with RGV.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, I know a lot of people were saying he sucked last night, but I kind of liked him. For his first NBA game, he got out there and moved the ball and gave 10000% on defense, looking pretty good defending Fox on a few possessions. He was clearly nervous and walking on eggshells on the offensive end, which is to be expected. Still, his handle looked super tight.

As an athlete, holy crap is he quick and strong. I hope to see him knocking down some threes in the G-League.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, i didn't get the cry of he sucks. Is that really a cry for a vet, or an honest assessment of talent after one game? I couldn't tell.

He didn't look intimidated at all, and was quick and decisive, with active defense. There can be a lot worse first games ... starting with kids that have the deer in the headlights look....our latest being Wiltjer.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. He had one strong drive to the basket and just missed the layup, and one catch and shoot three that he missed. He got himself into a little bit of trouble on a drive and kick, but he seemed to rally and show great composure. The defense and activity on-ball and off-ball looked solid. I honestly liked him more last night than at any point of watching ITaylor, purely for defense and sheer physicality.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think he didn't suck last night.

But that's about all I can say.

He could definitely work himself into a serviceable NBA backup. Or just may not ever be able to provide enough positives out there to merit more PT.

Not that it's 100% fair to compare him to Fox, but Fox was obviously faster and way bigger and longer out there.

More than missed shots, there were 2 turnovers in 10 minutes. If he's looking for minutes, that can't happen repeatedly. Only superstars/stars get to turn it over like that, lol.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. carib

carib Member

I was one those that wanted another vet, but if there is a young guy with potential then I see no problem grooming him. I agree we need to give this guy more time. I really liked his on the ball defense. He is young and new so we need to wait to see if he develops. He has the luxury of having two Hall of Fame point guards to watch and learn from and improve. I hope he becomes a solid player.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So this guy can't spend more than 45 days with us? Hopefully CP3 gets back soon then.

11. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I don’t know about you guys, but from what I saw. He was a guy brought into the Kings game to take the ball up and once across half court he’d dump the ball to Gordon. He would get the ball when it got stuck only to drive and kick it back out. He is quick and has some good leaping ability. 1 game but I think his athleticism should make up for size limitations.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good signing. Soaking up some early season minutes to let us rest Bobby Brown for the playoffs.

13. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

After 45 days, we will have Trash Mumba taking over at backup PG. Can't wait.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

So Bobby Brown really is just there for cheerleading haha :) must be frustrating. So Troy is not impressing in practices I'm guessing.

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Jackson looked like a point guard out there. He didn't suck, and was serviceable. I was very impressed actually because he was looking for intelligent plays to make. As small as Bobby is he wants to shoot all the time, never looks for the pass, he isn't a PG.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed.

The only negative i saw (let's say) is that he was kinda scared with the ball, but first game in the rotation etc...like you said he was probably a bit nervous which is understandable so yeah, overall i liked him more than i expected tbh, i hope MDA keeps giving him solid minutes when there's a chance. Kinda reminds me of a smaller Smart lol

carib and RudyTBag like this.
  18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

why's he ahead of brown??

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Brown sucks man, he's a good shooter but he would get burned on the perimeter by centers lol...and it doesn't seem like he's at least decent in anything else other than shooting (and i'm not even sure about his shot selection tbh, when he plays in garbage time he looks like Beasley, like, he NEVER passes the ball)...

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I really wasn't impressed by him. Bad defense, bad turnovers, a zero on offense. First game so I'm ill give him the benefit of th doubt.