1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 22, 2017.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

100% agree with the boy Nick....he was a wasted 2nd round pick who just sucks. It happens many times with 2nd round picks, so no big deal. Everyone else on this board needs to quit treating him like a top 20 1st rounder.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good points. BUT... in the last decade, there have only been a handful of undrafted players who went on to become NBA rotation guys, much less starters. I don't see Cameron Oliver as being special enough to be one of those guys. The expanded rosters and two-way contracts should give him time to prove himself, and there's nothing I'd love more than seeing Morey get squeeze value out of an undrafted player.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It has nothing to do with that, it's his athleticism, either he can move his feet fast enough to play in the NBA or he can't. That's not something that changes with experience, only if he works on his body like crazy, even then lateral quickness, vertical and foot speed are hard to improve.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

I see your prospective and thank you for changing mine on Moute. He was picked up at the time and has a similar contract to others to move in a future trade. It's great that CP3 & he already have some chemistry. Thanks again.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think I'm going to let him play a little in G League first before saying he's never going to amount to anything. Morey and the staff are just a little more informed on these things than the average fan methinks.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Sure he will be on the Vipers but why? His role is to play off of the all stars. How is going to get any better at that with out playing with the all stars? His development is done. Rebound, play some defense, & hit open 3s (small ball 5, back up 4) What dose he need to work on? Either he has bouyance or not. Our window is now or never. Cam Oliver is a hit or miss nothing more. (I personally like his game but he is not worthy of waiting around on to see what happens, IMO. The Jones and DMo never really work out for us.) Play the youngsters (limited time) or pass on them.

9. don grahamleone

You wrote it, not me. You've flipped on the guy now that he's a Rocket. You were gung ho now you're gung no. I don't get it. You are a flip flopper and it's confusing.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The last decade? Do you consider 30-40 to be a handful? Probably more. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's more than you are implying. I can probably name 20 in last five years. As international players have gotten better, while the draft has not increased, of course there are more and more undrafted players who become rotation players. It's becoming a part of the NBA.

Hell, we have one of the better ones on our team this year. Can you name him without looking?

I'm not saying I have faith in Oliver anymore than Payton II or Isaiah Taylor, but I do have just as much faith in undrafted players signed by Morey as I do many of our 2nd round picks

#150 heypartner, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    ThatBoyNick and Shark44 like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Re-read what you qouted in the your first reply to me and it will seem a whole lot less confusing lol.

You actually replied that "He's a good passer" showing you knew we were talking about Onuaku too, not sure how you mixed that up.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

You quoted about 2 different players..... I think that's where the confusion came in....

1st quote is about Nanu

2nd quote is about Oliver

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

Ah, thanks. Sorry about that @ThatBoyNick

14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

6’8 PF
    This signing has Morey written all over it...

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would not say his development is done, not for a guy as young as Oliver. But I understand your point, just do not agree with it. Oliver may not be ready right now, but jettisoning young players just because they are inexperienced is not the answer either. Truthfully, I'd rather have Smoove backing up Anderson (or Melo) simply because he's a savvy vet who could still explode some nights with his big dog mentality.

Smoove can also play some 5 in small ball situations. Smoove would also add another facilitator.

fattz likes this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

We are going to win a championship in the next few years so young undrafted players can help with that goal or develop elsewhere, IMO. We need to be focused on our goal and that goal alone. All decisions should be made with that goal in mind.

Low BB IQ with weak motor and a boat load of talent = hero or heal and we will know quickly.

I am not saying don't try and coach him but know what the goal is and know he is not much of a commitment.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I really don't know where you get this assessment of Cam Oliver? All of the Nevada folks I know who watched him play would say you have no idea what you're talking about.

D-rock likes this.
  18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Has Oliver played any pre-season game yet?

19. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

He broke his hand early Oct. Out 4 to 6 weeks.