1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 22, 2017.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya but kg was drafted at like #5 and like 17yrs old....i'm just sayin, his length and talent level are far above oliver's

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He didn't draft this guy he just signed him as a FA.

Btw he also signed George de Paula...there's your 6'6 skilled pg lol

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont have to have genius bball iq to be a big man take a look at De Andre Jordan, Tyson Chandler and Shaq, not exactly steve nash on the court but they could get it done.

There are also lots of big men with weak motors like Marcus Camby and Ryan Anderson, it all depends on what kind of role they have and if they can do that role despite their limitations.

I mean look at ibaka he doesn't seem to have genius bball IQ and he doesn't have a really high motor but he's still due for a max due to his 3 pt shooting and defense.

D-rock likes this.
  4. basketballholic

Agreed on the bball iq point. But your talking about giants that aren't switching type players. That's the one player that can get away with a lower iq, the dude in the middle. But.......even then......there are minimums. For instance, Javale is a complete dunce. Everybody knows it. With his body and athleticism, if he had an ounce of iq he'd be on a max contract. But he don't.

Oliver is not a gargantuan big. And defensively is where a guy like him has to be able to hold his own in order to be a net positive. So we'll see.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I agree its a long shot...but at the same time he came for free so its not like Rox lose anything by finding out. I agree its dumb not get Bell for 3.5M but maybe Rox FO rate bell 8 and Cameron 7.5 so they didnt feel the need to buy a pick.

It's the same thing in the previous draft, people were all over Portis and saying Rox were pretty dumb for ppassing on him but what I've seen him of him so far isn't that different from what Harrell gave the team. 6.4 pts and 3 rebs in 15 mins, those nbers are identical to Harrell but Portis plays in a much weaker conference. So maybe Oliver ends up just as good or better than Bell esp. if this serves as an inspiration for him and it fixes his attitude issuesml.

6. basketballholic

Yeah. In that draft I didn't want Portis or Harrell. I wanted Richaun Holmes. And I wrote about him. Felt like he'd be better than Harrell, Portis, and other PFs taken in the first round. I was very disappointed when I heard Harrell's name called instead of Homes. And I'd still prefer Holmes to Portis and Harrell.

However I really like the signings of both LJ Peak and Shawn Dawson. Almost wrote about Peak in the sleeper thread. But decided against it. Peak, from his interviews, etc., seems to be very committed to the defensive end. If that's real, if he really is committed to being a great defender, then he will make it in the Association as a 3&D guy. He's got great physical tools with his length and quickness and he seems to have a very strong motor. I decided against writing about him because I couldn't get enough information on his background to determine how good his character and work ethic are. But if he's good there then he's a great sleeper player and an obvious Beverley role player replacement.

Shawn Dawson wasn't even on my radar screen since he was in the draft last year. But I like the signing. He reminds me of Shaun Livingston pre-injury. Like his passing and handle. I can see two of these guys (Cam, Peak, Dawson) getting those dual contracts.

#106 basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Hui, fattz and Deuce like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This kid is getting waived after summer league and training camp. Just like Gary Payton III.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, being really really dumb doesn't mean you can't be a great basketball player, but it has been an issue for a lot of players in the past.

9. ballgame

ballgame Member

I SAID THE EXACT SAME THING!! I don't see the other comparisons; Faried, Landry, etc.

This kid seems like J Smoove

D-rock likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bet he makes the team. Rockets signed him minutes after the draft ended, they wanted him.

hvic and D-rock like this.
  11. seeingred

seeingred Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cameron-Oliver-82860/

If we're looking to fill 15 spots (now 17 with the 2 way D league contracts) with minimum salary guys, i think he has to make the team. Like a lot of good prospects he has 1 NBA ready skill - rim protector - and a bunch of other skills for us to develop. He has a 3 PT shot, can work the Pick and Roll, Pick and Pop, can switch a bit on defense, good cutter off the ball, and can get above the rim for all those lobs we like to throw. At worst he's a small ball 5 but at best? He has all the tools to be the PF we hoped Harrell would be.

D-rock likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

We now know why DM the GM did not buy a pick.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Fantasma Negro

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has a nice NBA body and skillset. I'd like to see him in the gym with Tarik Black. He could carve out a nice NBA career with some work ethic and professionalism.

fattz, saleem and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Robert Horry was also known as not having a motor, needed to be motivated to play 100%.

saleem and heypartner like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, Tarik could be a good role model for him.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Paul/Harden will make Oliver look very nice, Oliver was asked to create too much for him self in college for his skill set, didn't have a pg or a good system, in our offensive system with elite ball handlers creating plays, he will shine as an athletic stretch big with who can both finish and shoot.

He's a lob threat, PnR threat, PnP threat, cutting threat, spot up shooting threat, + catch and finishing around the basket

I'm not sure he will get too many minutes his rookie season, he has a lot to learn, but if/when he breaks out he'll be a great addition for us.

fattz, Vivi, kevtse and 1 other person like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree. Biggest difference is that Smoov has great court vision, always has his head up. Oliver may have better rebounding instincts IMO.

Why not? likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really looking forward to seeing what this guy can do in camp and preseason. There appears to be a lot of upside here. Bigs that can dribble and shoot from range, and also have the rebounding skill-set, are at a premium. I didn't see much of this kid in college, but the little i saw in summer league was intriguing. I'd like to see what i can do around the rim against NBA competition; want to see the defense and the rebounding (biggest hole on our roster), it's clear he can spread the floor some.

Anyone watch Oliver in college and care to give a breakdown?

The other guy I'll be watching is Taylor. For me, he was the most impressive player on our summer league squad, and clearly made a giant leap from last year to this year. If he can show that kind of production and consistency in camp and preseason, he can make this squad. I know Harden will play point when Paul is out, but it would be great to have a talented young pg developing/ learning from Chris Paul on the roster (ala Dragic & Nash); would pay dividends down the road.

RudyTBag likes this.