1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should have Onuaku start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Dec 23, 2016.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

I know I will get blasted for this and I am sure rightfully so, but with Capela out and Montrezl starting I feel our 2nd unit is not nearly as strong as before (as evident today against Memphis).

In order to keep our bench how it has been we need another player to step right into the starting role. I feel a big grasp as straws would be to start Onuaku and have him play defense (and see what he can do for the first 5 minutes of the game and of the 2nd half). This puts Nene and Montrezl back into the rotation where this team was gelling at.

I understand that Onuaku has never played an NBA game before and starting him would probably backfire but our next two games are against Pho and Dal. I would love to have this lineup figured out and running smoothly again before the Clippers game on the 30th.

I feel 10 min. a game from him with the starters could keep our bench comfortable as well as a shot blocker in the middle. Chances are he gets 3 fouls on him in the 1st quarter of the first game and we have to rotate out anyhow, but that's better than than having our bench blown out again. Dekker and Montrezl playing together in the 2nd unit helps this team tremendously and I would hate to see our team getting nailed to start the 2nd and 4th quarters again.

With that said- let the bashing (and why is this even a new thread) begin

Junkyard_Dog and hakeem94 like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

And so it begins.

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Ive suggested this in multiple threads

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Bench looked bad because Gordon was off tonight. Put a rookie on Gasol and we get destroyed.

rocketfan21 and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So, because our bench is weak, the solution is to weaken the starting line up?

Either he can play or not, starting him would be a huge and unnecessary risk given we have only lost to the Spurs at home and Memphis away, both games that came down to the wire. Why would we tinker with that? Is there a significant difference between how we performed and how you would rationally have expected us to perform against those teams? Are you taking into account we torched the Suns and destroyed the Wolves after Capela left?

I don't understand what people are expecting from this team. Just looking at early season threads about how fans expected the Rockets to do, it seems absurd that people are reacting this way after two losses as acceptable as any. A 60 win team (which we should not be) loses 21 times - can two of 21 losses in a season come at home against the Spurs and away against the Grizzlies?

Please just be rational guys. Who is our second best player? Who has a worse second best player than us? 3rd? 4th? When you look at this roster on a piece of paper where would you expect it to finish in the West?

Can it be ok for this team to perform non-amazingly sometimes? Jeez.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

This is not an overreaction to 2 loses, only that with a 10 game win streak we were clicking. By having a non-regular start and play defense you keep everything else intact throughout the game as it has been.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

How dare you have rational thoughts up in hurrr

Mathloom likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've suggested multiple threads about this.

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

What about VSpan? He could start. Harden's turnovers are unacceptable, we need to mix things up.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude you haven't even seen Chinanu play a single NBA game wtf is he gonna do starting against Gasol? That's just plain stupid, if MDA tells Harell and Nene he's gonna start an unproven rookie over them just so the bench will be stronger he's gonna lose all the credibility he's had so far.

Hey, here's an idea: let's start Ennis at pg and have Harden off the bench, with Harden coming off the bench we'll have the strongest bench in the NBA!

Mathloom, DonKnock and YOLO like this.
  11. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

Watched so me D-league highlights of him and I'm just as unimpressed as I was in the preseason!

D-rock likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I often wonder if the people on Clutchfans that suggest off the wall **** like staring Onuaku think that D'Antoni and company are as unfamiliar with Onuaku and his abilities as we are. They aren't. They watch him in practice. They are monitoring his progress in the d-league. They have a much better idea of what he's capable of right now than we do.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Stop this suggestion...We had a chance to beat all the tram we lost to. Harden has been the main problem. If he can play a little bit better then we should be good.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If Gordon didn't start out 2-13 (or whatever it was) from 3 we likely win the game. Then we wouldn't have all these ridiculous threads being created or bumped.

DonKnock and Tha_Dude like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah he is our x-factor.

DonKnock, Tha_Dude and Haymitch like this.
  16. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Very good post!

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Texans should start Weeden tonight, just for 10 minutes.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

Ahhh, love the way people bond together on Christmas Eve :)

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Don't even think about it.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This thread makes the whole forking Texans coaching looks like Bill Belichick level.