1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Related: Sometimes, the rep isn't right

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sometimestherepisntright&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Steve Francis can't quite figure out how it all got started. One assumption led to another, he figures, and by the time all the assumptions had settled, controversy was on his doorstep.

There is no way, the first assumption went, that Francis will pass the ball to Rockets center Yao Ming. There is no way, went the second assumption, that new coach Jeff Van Gundy will want a point guard to be his primary scorer, not when he has the most promising young big man to come into the league in a decade. Francis is a high-scoring point guard who needs 15 to 20 shots each game; Van Gundy is a conservative, dump-it-in coach who made his reputation by feeding Patrick Ewing in the molasses-quick Knicks attack. The third assumption was predictable: Van Gundy will demand that Francis pound passes to the 7-5 All-Star center, Francis will chafe at the reeling in of his game, and the Rockets will devolve into a clutter of bickering unhappiness and, if things get really juicy, some kicking and slapping.

We're not even a month into the season, so there still is time for some Francis-Van Gundy fisticuffs to develop. That seems unlikely, though. For now, the Rockets -- who haven't been to the postseason in Francis' four-year tenure in Houston -- look strangely like one of the best teams in the league. What's stranger is that, just hours before a game in Chicago last week, Van Gundy approached Francis and gave him not a kick or a slap but a pat on the back. He also gave this advice: "Shoot more."

Sitting at his locker after getting the advice, Francis shrugged and said, "That's what he told me." He then went out and shot 9-for-14 in 27 minutes of a blowout win.

Van Gundy wants Francis to start the offense. The only thing he'd change is to make Francis more efficient. "One thing that I thought when I have watched Steve either from afar or now, coaching him, is that people have made too much about his shot selection," Van Gundy says. "He actually takes quality shots. The only thing I asked him to do is to take the same shots on less dribbles. He is talented enough; he can get his shots. He does not have the problem of shot selection."

Houston opened the season with a new arena, new uniforms and a new coach, so this seems like a good opportunity for a new assessment of the Rockets' biggest gun. If Francis' reputation is that of a selfish player, it is rooted in his rookie-year insistence on not playing for Vancouver. For Pete's sake, that was more than four years ago, when Francis was 22. It's about time to give him a pass on that. (The Grizzlies have certainly moved on -- literally.) Even when Francis finally was traded to Houston, the talk was of potential problems. Francis, many were sure, would not share the ball with Hakeem Olajuwon. As Olajuwon was marginalized in Houston over the next couple of years, fingers pointed at Francis. What rarely is mentioned, though, is that Olajuwon probably should not have been on the floor at all. He was playing with respiratory and blood-clotting problems and missed 35 percent of his possible games with Francis. Rockets coaches, reacting to the lack of an interior presence, did what they could: set up the offense to feature isolation plays for Francis.

Francis got a bad rap then, and he can see the parallel to the present. "When I first got here with Hakeem, I was in a no-win situation," he says. "When I got here, it was, 'He is not going to pass the ball to Hakeem.' Before I played one game for the Rockets, people were already saying that. But we did what we could. Look at my stats. I averaged (6.4) assists for my career. That's pretty good."

Not great, but pretty good. It's better when you consider Francis is consistently in the top three in scoring among point guards and should be again this year. He still turns the ball over too much, and when Van Gundy says he wants to see Francis get his shots on fewer dribbles, the goal is to cut turnovers. High-scoring point guards are scorned by hoops purists, but, as Van Gundy says, Francis gets his points on good shots; he made 44.8 percent of them in the season's first four games. Francis wants to get more touches for Yao, but the center is in only his second season and still is adjusting to the league.

Francis knows such details tend to be excluded from assumptions. Thus, he hears rumors of his impending feud with Van Gundy and his unwillingness to share with Yao.

"Of course, I heard it," Francis says. "But that was people just trying to make up something. Something else to say. Like the Yao situation. When did I ever say I would not pass to Yao or did not want him more involved? It never came out of my mouth.

"And I never said I did not want to play for (Van Gundy). Coach never said he did not want me. Nobody has ever got a quote from me, and nobody has ever got a quote from Jeff Van Gundy saying that we did not like each other. Nobody."

Sounds like there's not much room for assumptions there.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This is a nice article. I'm sure many here will hate it.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Wow. The author of that article might be a poster here. heh

4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Has Francis ever considered ESP?

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that is a f'ing beautiful article. take notice.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great article, but don't bother, reality is too much for some people to bear. All that matters is if Yao is scoring enough and who's fault it is when he isn't.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Great article, I love it.

8. myco

myco Contributing Member

A great article that many will just shrug aside because the author doesn't "get it."

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, who should I trust, NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, or disgruntled posters in here? Wait, as one of these Yao only fans once said, it's just mind games from Van Gundy, he's just saying these things in public, like reverse psychology or something.

10. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Great article. Very sophisticated insight. Sounds like a writer who actually pays attention and finds the news instead of misquoting something he read somewhere else a week ago.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nice article! Yes Steve is playing Great but is looking more like a Shooting Guard. If he wants to move in this direction we will need a traditional Playmaker/Point Guard if our Center is going to develop and realy help our Team. I still say that Steve Francis hardly ever is the one that passes into Yao Ming when he is ready to score,rather Steve passes to the player that makes the decission to pass to Yao Ming.Check the tapes.So Steve moving to scoring and away from passing into Yao Ming isnt realy one that exists.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1st Yao only fan to the thread . . .you win a :rolleyes:

Rocket River

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can we agree not to quote yetti? it makes ignoring him a bit harder.

14. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Seconded. Ignore lists aren't effective if people quote their posts...

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From reading that article, it's obvious that Steve is selfish and wants Yao dead.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy is a Steve-only fan. ;)

17. x_trepidation_x

I hate to remind you all of this but the article was written by Sean Deveney - SportingNews.com.

Enough said...

18. Matador

Matador Member

I didn't want to start a new thread but since this about Stevie here goes:

Francis got robbed of the Player of the Week.

link

"NEW YORK, Nov. 10 – Indiana’s Ron Artest and Utah’s Andrei Kirilenko were today named the Eastern Conference and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, November 3 through Sunday, November 9.
    Artest led the Pacers to a 4-0 record by averaging 22.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.

Kirilenko led the Jazz to a 3-1 record with averages of 18.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.5 steals and 3.00 blocks per game."

Well that's all fine and dandy for Kirilenko but Steve led his team to a 3-0 record while posting the following numbers:
    averages 22.3 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.0 blocks. Also Steve shot 53% from the field (slightly better than Kirilenko at 52.3%).

So in all Steve was better than Kirilenko in points, assists, steals, fg percentage, team winning percentage, and only slightly worse in rebounds from a PG compared to a F.

Darn you NBA!

:mad: ;)

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So why was there so much hate for him on this board?

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hmmmm, then why the Steve Francis hating?

Get over it Yetti.