1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Ranked Fourth according to Hollinger's Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHL85, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JHL85

JHL85 Member

Houston Rockets are currently ranked fourth on Hollinger's Power Ranking above teams like Clippers, Grizzlies, and Pacers.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Obviously, I am happy to see Rockets ranked high in power rankings (or real standing for that matter :)), but I just found it interesting that we are ranked #4 among entire NBA teams when we are #8 seed in the West. I know these power rankings may not mean much and/or it may purely be based on statistics. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. First post btw.

2. Know Your Role

It's based on certain formulas and stats, while not entirely useless, it fails to tell the whole story. I believe it biggest factors are basically based on performance of the last 5 to 10 games and margin of victory. Rockets abused some good teams recently so that helps keep us at the top. To find out where we really stand would take many more stats and formulas, the likes of which my meager mind cannot handle. Right now I'd say we're between 8th and 12th with room to move forward.

We don't need to look at any stats right now except wins and losses, because regardless of how hot our offense is we are still in a tough western conference with teams looking to knock us out. We have to win games. After the allstar break, it's been said we need to go 16 and 8. We're 2 and 1 so far, so right on track.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

No, it's a combination. It factors in margin of victory of the whole season, strength of schedule over the whole season, and then it tilts things so that your last 25% of games are slightly more important.

It's obviously not a perfect measure, but it's a better measure than simply looking at win loss record IMO. Rockets are a good team this season.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Oh, and I forgot to add: Hollinger's formula also weighs things to factor in road wins being harder to come by than home wins. So if you win on the road your power ranking increases more than the same win at home.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's not accurate. We have a long way to go.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

97.2% chance of making the playoffs according to Hollinger.

7. rocketblood713

Its 8th on Marc Steins ...

8. rocketblood713

I got by Marc Steins Power Rankings there 8th in his but I go by that one

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

as long as we are top 16 )top 8 in the west at the very least) I am happy :) :) :)

10. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

I don't believe we're 4th, but it's not totally ridiculous to believe we're in the top ten. The rockets are entering the home stretch with a winning record. Pair that with the fact that we have the easiest remaining schedule in the west, our playoff chances are looking very good.

We just have to stop giving games away to s****y teams like the kings and wiz.

Most people have us as a lock for the playoffs with utah falling off due to their more difficult schedule.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernsosrg.html

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

The calculations are accurate. It just depends on how you interpret and use their numbers.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

For stat geeks, and Morey has more or less confirmed this in his interviews, the mark of a top team is (A) blowing people out and (B) don't get blown out. The Rockets have achieved this.

The problem is that the Rockets lose a lot of close games. From a statistical predictive standpoint, close games are much more random than games with high margin of victory. And that regardless of the team, your "close game win%" should be much closer to th 50% range than your actual record. There are certainly some exceptions to this, most notably the concept of clutch play. But that is much rarer than one would imagine. The Lakers, historically, have not been much better than league norm in clutch situations despite Kobe. The only true "clutch" player I know of right now is Chris Paulj, whose Hornets teams every year routinely win tons of close games. I'm guessing Miami would fit this year, mainly because they simply coast so much in the regular season. But otherwise, this idealogy has support of NBA history.

13. borednsleepy

borednsleepy Member

It has something to do with the high pace we played.
    We have top 5 scorer, top 5 theft, top 5 rebounder. We are the top 2 scoring team, but we are only 8th seed in western conference.

In this power ranking, the top 5 are all conference 3 seeds, except us.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

In before heypartner.

15. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

congrats on your first post op lol well spent

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

One interesting note is that we have the hardest strength of schedule...time for some easy games coming up.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

everything is moot if we cannot win close to 45+ games... that is the margin IMO

we are now at 31 with 24 games to go

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

we play subpar defense... defense in the regular season is still somewhat needed

19. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Maybe

Just remember that before our 7 game losing streak we had a 5 game winning streak and looked to be a possible as high as 5-6 seed.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd put the Rockets 7th (5th in the West)