1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets Playoff Games on ESPN Classic Next Few Days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis 4 prez, Apr 20, 2006.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Just as a heads up, ESPN Classic is doing an NBA playoffs marathon (started today and ends saturday morning) and 3 rockets games made the cut. unfortunately, much like this season, there's 2 losses for every win.

Fri, April 21 - 1 am ET: 1986 West Finals, Game 5: Rockets vs Lakers
    Rockets center Ralph Sampson's one-touch, turnaround flip from an inbounds pass in the closing seconds gives the Rockets a 114-112 win and ends the series. Akeem Olajuwon led Houston with 30 points and seven rebounds.

Fri, April 21 - 7 am ET: 1989 West 1st Rd, Game 4: Sonics vs Rockets
    Derrick McKey's layup at the buzzer spoiled a dramatic Houston comeback and gave Seattle a 98-96 victory that eliminated the Rockets from the playoffs. Dale Ellis scored 26 points for Seattle and Akeem Olajuwon led Houston with 24 points and 13 rebounds.

Sat, April 22 - 3 am ET: 1987 West Semis, Game 6: Rockets vs Sonics
    In a dramatic shootout at the Seattle Coliseum, the Sonics beat the Rockets 128-125 in double overtime to win the series 4-2. Tom Chambers, Dale Ellis and McDaniel combined for 97 points. The Rockets were led by Hakeem Olajuwon, who scored 49 points, grabbed 25 rebounds and blocked six shots.

Crappy time slots as you can see, but hey, you take what you can get.

complete schedule at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/news/story?id=2411314

2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up with the Game 5, 86 west conf. finals on. I watched the 2nd-4th quarters. I had completely forgot that Kupchak got Olajuwan thrown out of the game after a 17pt 3rd quarter shortly after Olajuwan had stopped Sampson from going after Lucas.

Make Reid's 3-pter to tie and Sampson's shot that much sweeter. :D

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Good look.

I was happily suprised last night when I noticed Game 5 was on (I caught and taped the second half). I suffered for it this morning thoush....

I'll be taping that Sonics/Rockets game tonight for sure.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i wish they would play the eddie johnson shot....i need to tivo that.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Robert Parish beat Bill Laimbeer up in a game earlier last night, punched him twice and drew blood, and he wasn't even accessed a personal foul! And then Hakeem gets kicked out and his punches didn't even connect like Parish's did, but the basketball gods paid the Rockets back in the form of that miracle shot. People say that there are super star calls now, maybe, but it was a lot worse back then, especially with the Lakers and Celtics as teams. Again, Robert Parish connected on TWO punches, drew blood and they didn't even give him a personal foul, and then to make things worse the Celtics ended up winning the game on that famous Bird steal. However, the Celtics didn't win the championship that year and they never won a championship again, so maybe the basketball gods were on break, and didn't get to punish them during that game.

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I missed the first two, but I'm watching the Rockets play the Sonics in Game 6 in 1987 now. Jim Petersen had lots of heart, he refused to back down from both Xavier McDaniel and Alton Lister. [H]Akeem was amazing, the Seattle players were so intimidated when they went in the paint. Dale Ellis was amazing too, that guy has to be one of the all-time Rockets' killers. Looking at Ralph Sampson, I can only dream of the dynasty that would've been had he not had chronic knee problems.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This game put the Rockets organization on the map.

If I won the lotto, I would pay Ralph Sampson's child support (poor Ralph is in financial hard times). This was proof of the potential of that great team. A young and healthy Dream/Sampson defeated the Laker 80s Dynasty Team in their PRIME.

Ralph, Vernon. We'll get you out one day!

8. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I've never seen footage of this ever since it happened but the the most vicious punch I've seen in the NBA was Akeem's to Michael Cage against Seattle. Akeem had enough of Cage...he cocked his right arm and threw a round house that connected on Cages left cheek. I remember as game coverage was going to commercials they showed cage with a mouth full of bloody teeth...does anyone have that footage?

9. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Cage got what was coming to him.

Ah....when men were men.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If I were a basketball god, I would smile on anyone who clocks Laimbeer.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I saw that play, it was unbelievable. I would imagine that an element of Laimbeer payback must have figured in to the non-call.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i was listening to a guy on the radio talking about that parrish/lambier fight. he was saying that it had been building up all season, not just the series. I wish I could remember who it was.