1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Players Conducting Mini-Camp in LA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FrontRunner, Aug 14, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I actually think 35% is possible, too....

EXCEPT, this is basically what everyone (not me, lol) said about Carmelo. He'll accept MDA's system and get open looks and improve his %s. He was shooting his worst 3 point % since 2009-10 when he was benched, albeit a limited sample size.

To me its less about MDAs system and more about Russ. Angry, something to prove Russ is what gave him the 32 ppg, 34%, triple double average MVP season.

2. plee

plee Member

he's about a foot and 1/2 back so he close but not at the pro 3 pointer line

3. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

It's certainly possible, I wasn't trying to say otherwise. Just feels like assuming a career high might be a little optimistic.

The nearly 3500 career threes (including playoff) he's put up demonstrate he's a 30-31% shooter. Assuming a significant improvement in his next ~400 is definitely possible, but statistically probably not the likely outcome.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is what a lot of people try to use to generalize playing with harden/cp3 and mda's system. They automatically believe guys with shoot better just being in this system. No, what actually happens is guys will shoot generally what they have throughout their career. The only difference being is the shots they're taking are geared towards being more efficient, better shots and conducive to winning basketball. There's a long list of guys that have come and gone in this system. most of their %'s generally remain the same or are worse

MorningZippo and roslolian like this.
  5. mockster

mockster Member

Can anyone confirm how many actual rockets players showed up for this?.

6. Remlap

Remlap Member

Hoping to see a LOT of this from McLemore in the corner
    HOLY COW, if this vid is for real (it's a continuous vid, not repeating GIF)
    I counted that he made 31-33 from that corner. YOWZA

D-rock, bilaal14, PhilCollins and 8 others like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If he largely cuts out the top of the key threes and focuses on corner threes, it's very possible. It's all about smart shot selection.

Nook and roslolian like this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

They must be secretly trying to recruit Lebron James to come here. It's the only conclusion that makes sense.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Gonna need Morey's face on Thanos doing the snap and then animations of those other guys being dissolved

alethios and hakeem94 like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

paging @photoshoppeople

11. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

I completely agree. But it's been about smart shot selection for most/all of his career, and it doesn't seem to have appreciably changed yet. Maybe it will now.

AroundTheWorld and Williamson like this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's legit weird to me that they think he's going to completely change everything about how he plays in a single season at age 31 just because he's on our team now. I'm not ruling out that he may become somewhat more efficient in our system next to Harden and under D'Antoni and Morey's guidance; but to expect him to go from being one of the least efficient players in the NBA to an efficient player seems borderline delusional.

harold bingo, Relativist and YOLO like this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Russ is a recent MVP, Carmelo isn’t even in the NBA, comparing them is dumb

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

being a recent mvp has 0 to do with what he said. he isn't comparing them as individual players

#34 YOLO, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I am hoping for 55% TS and 33% from deep for Russ

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd be thrilled with that.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Na even as is, if he plays exactly like he did last year he better the cp3. It's a upgrade that's all I ask for

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I have a feeling it’s going to be even more annoying watching Westbrook take bad shots for my team than it was watching commentators praising him for taking bad shots for OKC.

The only saving grace, as KOC said on his last podcast, is that both KD and PG have played MVP caliber basketball alongside him. He himself may not be the caliber of player that can lead a team to a championship, but his gravity is a real thing and stronger than Chris Paul’s for a few years now.

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I am not worried about Russ shooting a higher percent on his 3s, I think his biggest help to this team will be his energy and dynamic playmaking. Think of those 1 man fast breaks he will get when the halfcourt offense is bogging down. Him attacking the paint coming off a pick with that speed. Getting a offensive rebound late in a game with sheer athleticism to get another possession. I think those are the things he will bring to the team that will make us tougher. That going hard every play style... It's going to be something to see.

hakeem94, D-rock and RichieBanks like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's a regular Bostjan Nachbar. :D Unfortunately, like Dwight and Shaq shooting FT's in practice, he's going to have to do it in-game. But I hope he turns out to be a steal. This guy was so talented coming out of high school and college.