1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Playbook Analysis & Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Sticky this thread. Because threads like this is what Clutchfans should be all about.

2. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Isn't this just the flex offense started with a weave instead of the guard to guard pass and the second play is 'wheel" out of the horns set?

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Basically, yes. As you can see in the clips, though, usually the Rockets bigs just form a stack out of transition on one of the elbows, rather than going into "true" horns/the A formation first.

4. rob1

rob1 Member

nice man

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cool. I'll look for plays that are examples of your list in the OP. I post the Game and Time for you to review, if you're looking for examples. One thing I've noticed is we are rarely running the Weave anymore. Have you noticed that, too?

Do you mind debate and discussion here, too?

So you did the Quick Early Offense Pistol series, too? Curious how you named it "Pistol." Typically that's a football offense, but I have seen hand-off plays in basketball that are called "Pistol."

6. loveofthegame44

You guys seem pretty bball savey did the league make an adjustment in these last three games or was execution just poor?

7. torocan

torocan Member

A lot of it was just missed shots.

In Boston if we make a normal percentage of 3's and FT's, we win.
    In Philadelphia if we make a normal percentage of 3's, it's a down to the wire game.

There were plenty of open looks in both games, and we also had a hard time getting calls in both games.

8. loveofthegame44

Thanks both those games it just looked like something was different harden didn't seem to get in the lane much probably lack of spacing due to bad 3pt shooting. Its pretty clear we can't play to our potential unless delfino is on. And when he is off he is really off. I can see where the commentator from Milwaukee gave them the nickname the faucet lame but seems pretty indicative.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

It's more like the other way around. They had bad 3-point shooting due to the lack of spacing. They stopped getting wide open 3s and started missing contested 3s when they went to tiny ball. The most obvious case being the last time they went to 2Pat being the only big for essentially the entire 4th, but as of the last loss they have not gone back to this for significant stretches (i.e. 1 penetrators + 4 shooters), even when 2Pat was the lone big (last game when 2Pat was the only big in, he stayed close to the paint, although he was not effective in following and punishing his defender for going into the restricted circle to defend the other side).

The biggest difference I see though is that they made some kind of adjustment to their screens, if you can even call these new "screens" screens. They are setting these "fake" screens further away from the basket, and the screener is apparently instructed to release before the guards even use the screen. This has made the perimeter very very very very very very very very very overcrowded, and they are paying for it with much more easily contested outside shots than they were getting before.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

"Pistol" is a pretty universal name for the handoff. Ppat does a lot of that because the dribble handoff is very similar to a ball screen, obviously. At least I called it Pistol when I play, and many other teams do as well.

11. loveofthegame44

Yeah why are they doing that rhetorical ? Seems like they are scared to get the offensive foul why not just coach the screener and the ball handler better. I know shipping the screen works from time to time but has to be set up by multiple proper .

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Right,,, we definitely do it a lot (hell, every team probably does); I'm not sure how much our "Early Offense" uses it, though.

13. gah

gah Member

When I buy a a franchise, I'll be looking for Clutch, Bima, HMMMHMM and durvasa to run it.... Carl Herrera can be the mascot.

14. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

our offense should be call harden ;)

15. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

You sure we have an offensive set?

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Honestly, you can't quantify how many times a team will run that play. It differs per game. It is a good way to get the ball moving.

17. linbandwagon

linbandwagon Member

Anyone know why there's rarely any pick'n roll plays being run on the rockets? I see a lot of passing around the perimeters, but rarely any screens.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Rockets went to the stagger screen option (wheel) a lot yesterday (I didn't count, but I would guess at least 7-8x). Only got few open looks out of it. Set a couple of moving screens early on, once or twice the execution was off and a couple of times they just weren't patient enough.

Oh, so you meant playbook requests? Ha. I guess those are fine, too, though I'd prefer to start with the sets/action that I have the most tape on.
    For whatever reason I figured you were talking about non-playbook related things like highlighting where Asik and Lin are hurting us on O, where Harden is hurting us on D, etc...
    Anyway, I already have the vast majority of the playbook on my PC. It's just a matter of gathering enough tape to properly highlight different options/outcomes depending on how defenses play it.
    It also takes a while to go through the whole sorting through-uploading-labeling-embedding-writing-drawing up process, so I'll just do these once at at time, whenever I have enough time and feel like doing it :p.

Yes. All videos on that youtube channel are mine. Pistol will probably be one of the next actions that I'll break down here.
    I figure there's a "not" missing in your sentence(?). I honestly can't tell you why that particular action is called pistol -- I just was taught it as such.
    Quite a few teams run pistol as a read action in early offense or use one of its elements, like setting a simple ball screen of a fake handoff like the the Magic did under SVG:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6qnoa2JJlyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aggies director of basketball ops Stephen Gentry broke down some of the things you can do out of Pistol while ago over at Fast Model: http://www.fastmodelsports.com/library/basketball/fastdraw/1422/play-Pistol

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And give up 115.

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Do we really have a playbook, didn't look like it the last 6 minutes. When Harden is out, we got nothing..