1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pick up option on Patterson and Morris. Aldrich Awaits.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Today is the deadline for deciding on the team options on the 2013-14 season (note: NOT the 2012-13 season) for guys rookie scale contracts. There are 3 of these guys on the roster: Patterson, Morris and Aldrich. Mark Berman reports that they have picked up Patterson and Morris' options. No word on Aldrich yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Agent Tony Dutt says Rockets are picking up 2013-14 option on contract for Marcus Morris. No surprise.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/263330867710148609" data-datetime="2012-10-30T17:25:45+00:00">October 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Patterson's agent, Odell McCants, said he got official word Rockets picked up Patterson's option for next year this morning. No surprise.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/263324206995996672" data-datetime="2012-10-30T16:59:17+00:00">October 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Aldrich. If they don't pick up his option, he becomes an unrestricted free agent in July, correct? I wonder what he would command on the open market if he turns out to be a decent backup center?

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Are we trading Aldrich to ATL and letting them pick up his option?

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Decent backup centers still get paid. Even Etan Thomas was making the mid level. I think we'll pick up his option. Morey liked him coming out of the draft. I can't imagine it would be that hard to dump him, if neccessary to clear up cap space.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So Busty Morris isn't as busty as you think to Morey. :p

6. Carl Herrera

Morcus has really reduced his bust size this summer. Going from a DD to a C or maybe even a B. Much better attitude according to McHale and everyone on the team, no longer b****ing to Jerome Solomon about D-League assignment and ****.

1 person likes this.
  7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Morucs needs touches on the baseline. That's were he's best at.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

If I were to guess, I'd say they decline it. It would mean the difference between something like $12mil or $15mil next offseason. And right now, Aldrich hasn't showed that he's immensely superior to even Greg Smith.

IMO, the Rockets shouldn't even need a typical backup center. Even during Yao's years, Hayes/Scola played backup C rather than Mutumbo for the most part. Patterson and Motiejunas should be sharing minutes at the backup 5 anyway.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think they're trying to move him for a first rounder and cap space.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think Aldrich gets picked up. His $3+ million is valuable space.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL that would be pretty slick, but IIRC Aldrich hasn't been that bad on the limited time he got. I don't really agree with not having a non-center as a backup. We had Hayes or Scola sliding at the 5 mainly because RA was an offensive genius and favored more O over better D. When Yao went down permanently we all saw what having a midget at the 5 does for your team...and that was with Hayes averaging a near triple double.

12. Carl Herrera

One question is whether he's worth more in a trade with the option picked up or declined.

If you think he is expected to be worth more than $3.25M next season, you pick up the option no matter what it does to your projected cap room-- plenty of time before then to clear additional cap space if needed, including by trading Aldrich for something of value (remember, this is assuming that Aldrich is worth more than the $3.25M). If you think Aldrich is expected to be worth less than $3.25M, this means you likely have to give up stuff to dump his salary and clear cap space-- i.e. his 2013-14 contract is a liability and not an asset, then you decline it.

For what it's worth, Aldrich's preseason numbers look pretty good: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cole_aldrich/game_by_game_stats.html'

Rebounded and blocked shots at a high enough rate to make him worth a look. Given that $3.25M is Kosta Koufos/Timofey Mozgov money, I would pick up his option unless there is something terrible that I don't know about him.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think they could get a first rounder for him. But, they did keep Smith so something could happen.

14. juicystream

We didn't pick of Jordan Hill's option last year, and I think Aldrich falls into that boat. If we didn't have use for the cap space, we'd probably pick it up.

1 person likes this.
  15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If Aldrich's doesn't get picked up, it could mean Morey fancies his chance at picking up Jefferson (or J-Smooth) in free agency.

Actually that would be the ideal situation. Yes, Aldridge/Love could be better, but Jefferson is the low post double-team threat this team desperately needs. And by going via free agency, Morey doesn't have to trade and part with two or three out of our young rookies + veteran contracts + picks to get players already on max contracts.

16. gah

gah Member

This is the same situation we were in with Jordan Hill last year, he is more valuable as an expiring/intriguing big man. In this example, Lakers ended up liking him and signing him for cheap anyways.

1 person likes this.
  17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Declining Aldrich's options seems like a no-brainer to me.

We declined Jordan Hill's option who was more proven/productive. Aldrich really hasn't done anything to warrant occupying $3M of cap space. I honestley don't think he's even better than Greg Smith.

18. Carl Herrera

Not sure the cap/free agency/roster situations are similar. The biggest change is that last year they were planning on a possible (or even likely?) turnover of their rotation players (Scola, Lowry, Dragic, Lee, Martin, Dalembert, Camby, etc.) and they now have several pieces that they probably plan on keeping for several years (Harden, Asik, Lin) while pursuing a 2nd star.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

The safe approach is to decline his option. You don't commit if it's 50/50 odds he'll pan out. Expiring contract and cap space is always valuable. You always get draft picks using cap space or star player, not role players.

His pretty decent in low post defense, but lackluster in defending pnr.

1 person likes this.
  20. juicystream

Before it was about clearing space for a couple of big moves. This time it would be about clearing room for one max deal.