1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG Position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wibie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Wibie

Wibie Member

A lot of Rockets fans seem to think that the Point Guard position is the weakest spot on our team. Despite being injured for the Playoffs, Patrick Beverley is still a solid Starting PG for this Rockets team and he's still relatively young (26 Years old), but I do understand and agree that, if we want to build a big Championship contending team, an All-Star or "Above Average" PG is the last piece to the puzzle. Imagine if we had for example Mike Conley which I think would fit with our style of play. Our starting line-up would be Insane! What do you think is the best way to acquire that final piece to the puzzle? The Draft? Trades? Free Agency? Let me know.;)

2. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Didn't know the team was done and needed a final piece. probably best you worry more about the now champ

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We don't need much from PG.

Just someone who can shoot, defend, and occasionally attack the rim and make the right passes.

Mario Chalmers IMO would be a good, cheap, buy low fit. He hasn't had a stellar season, but the Harden effect will make him look good like Lebron did. Smoove played poorly before he joined the Rockets, so same could happen with Chalmers.

His role on this team would be just like it was on those Heat teams. Play defense, hit shots, occasionally score/playmake, and play smart.

AND he only has one year left on his contract at 4.3m.

Or I'd be cool with Beverly just as long as we can get some kind of PG/Combo Guard that could attack the rim.

Usually its hard to have a good offense unless you have at least 2 players on the court at the same time that can attack the rim. We only have Harden and it's a ready why our 4th quarter scoring is poor.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Material for the offseason

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Never thought of him. He's also hit big shots in big moments (NCAA Champion & NBA Finals). Good defensive player too.

6. Kingshadaine

Kingshadaine Member

If bev could become a 40% 3pt shooter we would be set, hopefully llull comes over next season

7. tnopham

tnopham Member

I disagree with this statement. Mario Chalmers is average or below average and the Heat won 2 championships with him. This was mainly with Lebron handling most of the ball handling duties and sometimes Wade. Similar to what Harden does and sometimes Smith or Ariza.

I honestly feel we can win the championship this year with Terry and Pablo. I might be in the minority but I just feel an avg PG who doesn't turn the ball over and can hit the occasional 3 is enough, given our style of play.

8. CertifiedTroll

Sergio Llull I hope will fill the void.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think the opposite of you, the need for a quality PG on this team is their biggest major need. Harden cannot do it all IMO and both Smith and Ariza are extremely streaky type players.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Chalmers is horrible. No thank you.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

If the Raptors go 0-4, I wonder if Lowry could go on the block. He's signed to a reasonable contract (3 years at 12 million per), and I don't think it would take the whole farm to get him.

When the cap balloons to $89 million next summer, you'd have Harden and Lowry tied up for $29 million total, and maybe you can talk Dwight into a 3-4 year deal for something less than the max, say $20 million per. Trade Ariza and you have enough room to go after Durant and keep the bird rights for a few of our younger guys.

Lowry / Johnson
    Harden / McDaniels
    Durant
    DMo
    Howard / Capela

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Why do y'all want Llull so damn much

Wasn't kpap suppose to be like the MVP of the euro-league, wasn't Dorsey the most dominant euro defensive player lol

Llull will probably end up at the end of the bench with the other two euro players

13. tnopham

tnopham Member

This is exactly my point. The heat won 2 championships with him. I wasn't suggesting we get him but pointing out an All-Star PG or above avg PG is not necessary or the missing piece.

14. anchel

anchel Member

I dont see why Ujiri would trade Kyle, even after an hypothetical 0-4 vs WAS. He has a good contract and what they need are more good players while they have the have cap space to obatin team.
    He could be avaiable at best, but absolutely not for cheap.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Not every Euro is garbage look at Mirotic, Capela, Gobert, Schroeder this year as an example. Morey has been after Llull for a very long time and I trust him.

16. anchel

anchel Member

To obtain them, excuse me.

I would like Llull's future in the NBA, but he would have the inconvenient for next season of being a rookie. You could also think in a backup for that Harden alternative at having the ball and creating and scoring by himself. A Jarrett Jack he is not a perfect player but could fit with what we need and it would more obtainable than a Kyle Lowry. And no matter what happens I would try to keep Pat.

17. anchel

anchel Member

Well, if you thought that Papanikolaou was "like the MVP of the Euroleague" then it is your problem, cause he was a role player at Barcelona (an elite role player if you want) far from being considered a eurpean star. Same with Dorsey, who was a solid defender at a top team, maybe considered one of the best or more versatile defenders in Europe, but nothing like "the most dominant euro defensive player".

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Umm, no.

19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

We just need our current PG (Prigioni) to be more confident in his shot.

20. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'm honestly fine with running Beverly/Llull/Prigioni next year