1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Offered 4 Years $12 Mill and Mooch Won't Take It???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This according to the Chronicle tonight. Gimme a freakin' break!!! Three million per season for a back up point guard and that isn't enough???

I put this in another thread but I HAD to repeat it all by itself. Unreal!

2. Timing

Timing Member

Who would have thought 2 years ago that Moochie would turn down $12 million. lol The NBA is a crazy bidness.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I really liked Moochie Norris, but if he wants this much money then forget him. Our franchise player is at the PG spot, we dont need to spend millions on a backup.

Damon Jones is good enough, he will do what moochie did. Besides, Francis and Mobley play with Damon alot so he will know how the guys run it. Its not like we got someone who doesnt know how the rockets style of game is.

Houston has alot of new faces again this year. The new era has begun.

4. e-bull

e-bull Member

Bottom line: if Moochie wants to be here he tells Feagan to sign the dotted line and get his 3mil per, why don't the players step up and tell the agent what to do instead of the opposite? Sorry Mooch we love ya but don't be unreasonable, you could still be in the CBA, oops that's gone, how about overseas? I think Damon Jones will do a great job and compliment the others very nicely.

Does anyone happen to know the salaries of other backup pgs?

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

from a fistful of dollars to a few dollars more...sigh :rolleyes:

Can't agree with this mooch.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nice quote...... couldnt agree more.

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think the Rockets need to revise their offer: two million over two years. Hey Moochie, we've got a back-up point guard; do you have a back-up offer?

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

With the way its set-up, you don't need an agent anyway. Do like Ray Allen, get you a lawyer, tell the team what you're looking for and go from that. Moochie and Fegan can go to hell.

9. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

TraJ,

My thoughts exactly. Does Moochie have a backup offer? There might be a team willing to spend part of their exception but I doubt they would be willing to spend anything near 3 million per year. Now that I think about it, anything is possible, the Knicks spent way more than that on Shandon Anderson!

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

THAT MAKES ME WONDER IF OTHER TEAM HAS ACTUALLY HAS MONEY TO OFFER MOOCH THAT MUCH! HUUUGGH!:rolleyes:

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

According to RealGM's numbers, here's a list of the teams that still have the $4.5 mill mid-level exception available, with their current starting PG in parenthesis. All the rest of the teams, with the exception of the Clippers, don't have more than $2 mill in available cap space & most of them don't have any.

Indianapolis (Travis Best)
    Philadelphia (Eric Snow)
    Milwaukee (Sam Cassell)
    Toronto (Alvin Williams)
    Memphis (Jason Williams)
    Golden State (Mookie Blalock)
    Phoenix (Stephon Marbury)
    Sacramento (Mike Bibby)

Available cap space:

L.A. Clippers (McInnis)

Imho, of those teams, none would consider signing him outright to be their starting PG. If any of them were interested, they would only sign him as a backup. That means, he would probably only get about $2-3 mill on the open market. I would venture to guess that it would be closer to $2 mill or less. Also, Shammond Williams is still available as well. Moochie better wise up & take our offer or prepare to make less on another team.

Whatever S&T's Fegan has working will have to benefit the Rockets big time or he's going to lose this time. I love the S&T he got for us with NY. Maybe, he can get us a solid big man in a S&T.

#11 Hottoddie, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

What a bunch of BS. I would take 1 million for 4yrs much less 12 million.

Dang, thats more than he can get flipping burgers or selling fro's.

12mil for 4rs = 3 mil a year

3 mil / 20 min a game/82 games = 1829.27$ per minute

or 109,756.10$ per hour.

How can we fit him on our team now with Torres and Damon Jones???

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Let me understand this correctly...Mooch is holding out for twice as much as Michael Jordan is making this season?

Just Checking.

I SAY , LET HIM CRASH!

14. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

AUNTIE EM, AUNTIE EM... IT'S A TWISTER!!!

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Moochie is obviously treating this as a dispassionate business situation. We should do the same. He's doing what seems economically rational: waiting to see whether he gets a better outside offer and whether the Rockets will match it. The rational approach for the Rockets is to wait and see whether he'll fold, and then, at some point, go to the next guy on the list and put plans in place for a team that doesn't include Moochie. Hence the Damon Jones signing.

Maybe at this point Moochie decides it's no longer rational to wait, since he could well end up with less money than the Rockets are offering and on a team less to his liking. Maybe he continues to hold out, gambling on a better situation or a fold by the Rockets. For our planning purposes, it shouldn't matter. After Jones, we give Moochie a few more days to fold, and if he doesn't, we make the final moves to seal up our roster, leaving him on the outside. No offense, Mooch. It's a business decision.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I think that its time to offer him LESS money.

17. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Well said, Will. I think people are going hysterical for nothing. I am as big a fan of Mooch as anyone, but if he doesn't get signed, it's not the end of the world. At least the Rockets are prepared for that scenario. At the end of the whole ordeal, I believe Moochie will be a Rocket because he and Fegan simply are not holding any cards.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Let me understand this correctly...Mooch is holding out for twice as much as Michael Jordan is making this season? </i>

No, he's actually holding out for 4x what Jordan will make. Jordan is playing for the veteran minimum of $1M.

19. j-bone

j-bone Member

No, actually Moochie is holding out for a little bit more than that, aelliot, becasue Michael Jordan is playing for free this year. He's donating his entire salary this year to the families and victims of the terroist attacks.

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

4,000,000 / 0 = infinity

:)