1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets needs to quit Trader mentality if they want to win a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeguo, Nov 9, 2013.

1. joeguo

joeguo Contributing Member

Everyone in stock market knows if you want to make money, you invest wisely, if you want to lose money, be a day-trader.

What rockets do for years shows that they are a trader. They try to trade their trash for other people's gold. The result?

1) They Trade trash for trash (looks like gold)

2) They buy high and sale low

examples:

They traded Steve Francis for Tracy Mcgrady. Did he ever win a playoff series?

They traded for Kevin Martin. We all know how that ended up

Championship caliber teams work diligently to collet their talents through draft and invest in them.

Examples are Spurs, OKC, Indiana.... They got their foundation players through draft, not trade.

On opposite site: Knicks is a trader, how is it doing now? They still have Melo and Stoudemire(?)

The rockets are the same type of team. They got Harden (a ballhogger just like Melo, and Howard, a washed up center just like Stoudemire). Will win a championship with those two (stars)? We'll see....

Traders are not interested in investing. Rockets had JLIN but they cut him. They bought him back when price went up. When his price dropped a little bit, they tried to dump him. They are not interested in investing on what they have, improve their value. The consequences:

You buy high and buy crap. That will not get you a championship.

1 person likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very nice analogy, rep'ed you. It's time to let these stocks mature. This era of instant gratification/food vendor mentality is extremely short sighted and immature.

3. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I agree with you that the team should work to develop young players

However, in this day and age -- it's all about instant gratification.

But when you look at the roster -- they're a bunch of players who were given a chance to develop. Maybe they won't be here long term but I think they've grown and showed that they do belong and can play in the NBA.

One person that comes to mind is Greg Smith. Who is so young and has the potential to get better but it will have to come with time. He's physical so he gets himself in foul trouble but I think he has way better hands and is a better finisher than Asik. He's someone that I think should be kept around and cultivated.

errr I lost my train of thought lol (made 50 this year -- my mind wanders a lot more than it did before)

Bah, if I remember what I else I wanted to say I will make another post.

4. boiler

boiler Member

you may have a point if you didn't use McGrady, Harden, Howard, even Martin as examples.

5. sfayner

sfayner Member

Super post. We should just draft players and never trade them. Our lineup would now be Joey Dorsey, Germaine Taylor, Patrick Patterson, Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lamb, Brad Newly, DMo, and Royce White. Challenging for first place and selling out every night I'm sure.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Lakers traded for Kobe (draft night for Vlade Divac), traded for Pau Gasol. Signed Shaq after clearing cap space via trades.

The Celtics traded for Garnet and Allen. The 80s Celtics traded for McHale and Parish. Also later traded Maxwell for Walton.

Seems to have worked out for them.

There is more than one way to skin a man.

7. joeguo

It's never easy to draft talent. You need to do your home work. If you only have trader mentality, you will focus on trade. Your draft will no likely be good.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Don't forget, Miami traded for LeBron and Bosh and got two championships out of it.

9. King901

King901 Member

So is this a pro tank thread? build through the draft?

10. joeguo

Sure, even day-traders have some wins once in awhile. But Overall results? not good. The lakers once signed Karl Malone and Gary Payton? Everyone said they would win Championship for sure. Did they? How about last year? They signed Howard and Nash. Everyone said once again they are a championship contender? Were they?

11. ipuff

ipuff Member

The point is to let your "stocks" have a chance to grow,

not that you can't make a trade.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

Martin has found his home with love, they combined for 68 last night, no way timberwolves give us love, they wouldn't do that trade for Howard

13. joeguo

But they drafted Wade in the first place. He is their foundation. They won Championship before LeBron and Bosh joined them.

14. AXG

AXG Member

And who did Wade win his first championship with? Shaq. And how did they get him? Through a trade.

15. joeguo

Shaq was not the major reason why they won the Championship but Wade was.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Of course there are examples of failures to build a title winner by trade. 29 out of 30 teams fail to win the title every single year, whether they build their team via draft, trade or free agency.

It's idiocy to say that a team needs to focus on only one of the 3 tactics for team building. Nobody does just that. Every team pretty much use all 3 tactics to find available talent depending on opportunities at hand. The mix of a which tactic is executed mostly in building the current roster is just a matter of chance.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

So, you are not impressed with Harden and Howard. But now that they are here, what do you propose that we do with them. I understand that you think we should not have traded for them in the first place, but do you now think we should trade them?

Are you against all trades, or just trades you view as crap trades. Isn't it sometimes hard to know how trades are going to pan out until years later?

18. awc713

awc713 Member

...you do realize that, two of the teams you cited--IND and OKC--have yet to win titles...ever

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They buy high and sell low? We traded Kevin Martin for Harden. That's selling low?

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Have to disagree with you on this... Shaq was a HUGE reason they won that championship... Teams could no longer double team Wade and leave the low post open....

Miami used the same schema as LA did with Kobe and Shaq. You see what happened to Kobe with no Shaq.

T_Man