1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need SOME midrange game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 29, 2013.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Watching the Rockets' tired legs missing 20 threes a game on the 3rd game in 4 nights aggravates me. Rockets need to fall back on a midrange game because 2 points is better than no points/fastbreak points for the other team.

Thoughts?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rather miss a three than miss a mid range shot.

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

three's also gets the defense out of the lane so Dwight can rebound more

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I hate all this bull**** about "You don't need a midrange game." It is complete BS. Sure a 3 will give you more points but teams can defend really well against the 3. You HAVE to have a jumpshooter that can shoot within the arc.

Morey is great but I resent the fact that he is building this team to live and die by the 3. EVERY team that has won a championship over last decade has had a good midrange game.

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This, the Rockets live and die by the 3, just like teams like the Blazers live and die by the jumper (3s and long range 2s).

There are times when they won't fall, Rockets have been random when they don't fall, as of now Blazers have hit these seemingly every game this season, which is why their record is so good.

It is impossible to be a jumpshooting team and not have some off nights. I'm happy with almost exclusively 3s and layups/dunks that gives the Rockets a good chance to beat anyone on any given night.

6. Chris Jent MVP

Midrange shots are only 1 hop away from a layup most of the time. Settling for midrange shots is lazy.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not when teams adjust to your game by jumping open three point shooters and then allowing the post defenders to pack the paint, which is what OKC is doing to the Rockets.

Midrange game isn't going to be the most efficient shot every game, but you need it just in case teams deny the inside and the outside.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Jeremy Lin poop his pants aggravates me. He is proving myself and everyone else wrong, that thought he was a legitimate starting PG.

We might have 4 backup PGs on this roster.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He always plays bad against teams that pack the paint. This is no surprise.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Closing out on 3 point shooters is harder than closing out on midrange shooters. If you don't believe me, go take some measuring tape to a basketball court to see why this is the case.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Rockets have a little, mostly from Harden. I'd disagree that every title team has a good midrange game. It is MOSTLY superstars have a midrange game everyone else shoots 3s.

Spurs's majority of midrange is Duncan banks, Parker ft line jumpers. Rest of the team mostly shoots 3s/layups.

Heat's majority is Lebron's right side post ups and D wade's 18 footers, rest of the team including Bosh is mostly 3s/layups.

Thunder same thing with Westbrook's randomly early shot clock fast break jumpers and Durant shooting from wherever he wants because he is KD.

I think there is a lot of value in shooting 3s, difference is we don't have a 2nd star mid range shooting because our 2nd star is Dwight, so it looks like we only shoot 3s/layups.

12. chandlerbang21

Tell that to bird, Kobe , LMA , Jordan , etc etc

It's ONLY A BAD SHOT WHEN U DON'T HAVE SKILLED SHOOTERS (rockets )

13. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Unfortunately, Rockets management don't believe in mid-range.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We don't live and die by the 3. We have a huge post presence, ability to get to the rim and ability to get FT's. Shooting 3 pointers is smart.

15. chandlerbang21

Bosh one of top midrange shooters in league btw and lebron is taking ALOT of them also

16. nono

nono Member

yes this is true. against teams with great shot blockers he is garbage.

17. chandlerbang21

Darryl Moreys way of thinking has infested the minds on GARM . Watching other teams light us up all over the court should be recognized. Rockets offense to predictable as seen this games. EVERYTIME chandler picked up his dribble in midrange area his defender backed away because they know he is gonna pass before taking that shot

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I would rather have them shoot a mid-range shot then force up a three or get a turnover by trying to force something that is not there. It's going to be hard during the playoffs when defense really picks up.

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Notice how I said Lebron is included, as he is a superstar.

Also Bosh used to shoot mostly mid range, he has expanded his range to 3s, and has shot mostly them over the last couple of years.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol rockets. can't guard ****.

Put Brooks in there and bench Lin.