1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' MVP response tweet: good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 25, 2019.

?

Rockets' MVP response tweet

1. Good idea: just calling it like it is

114 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Bad idea: reflects poorly on the organization

94 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Good idea: a championship-quality, Steve Kerr-like move

21 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Bad idea: we've out-Kerred Steve Kerr

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Good idea: any publicity is good publicity

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Bad idea: just stoking the fires of Harden hate

51 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. Good idea: Giannis doesn't deserve the award

31 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Bad idea: the Rockets deserve an unsportsmanlike behavior penalty

23 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For some reason, the Jazz are not a good FA market or market for marquee players. Never has been.

It is either them or Phoenix who also did not win much.

2. dmoneybangbang

Go away troll. Go support the Mavs.

BMoney and Ramo$e like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tilman, Morey, Tad Brown are responsible for this latest embarrassment.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

It shouldn’t have been from the rockets official Twitter but sometimes you gotta tell the truth... even if the truth hurts.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. Red Nation RGV

Terrible idea, this pointing finger shiz is lame and becoming more prevalent in the NBA

6. SemisolidSnake

Bad idea and really kind of the bad essence of social media: making it effortless to broadcast something to the entire world before thinking twice about it.

Bad marketing as well. You're basically saying that now stats are what matter. If I WAS going to say something, I'd focus on what a stalwart pillar James was for his team during a season marred by an awful spate of injuries and how he's been doing that since that first year he came runner up in voting. Focus on the "valuable" part as if it actually matters in "most valuable player." Quote his teammates on this perspective of his play. Bonus: You also get the insane stats for free this way since that's when a lot of them came. Might take longer than a tweet, though.

Easy and saleem like this.
  7. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

If any other player would have had the season Harden had.... with the amount of problems the team had, they would have won MVP without question. But because Harden did it, it becomes a debate and he can't win because he's not popular enough.

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Organization has to go to bat for their players. Teams push for All Star recognition and awards all the time.
    Players can’t or shouldn’t bring up things by themselves. Players like that their franchise has their backs.
    Doing nothing would have sent a, “you’re on your own,” message to Harden.

Rockets and players just have to understand they are dealing with I.d.i.o.t.s. called the media and fanatics.

That is all. Don’t @ me.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I see this a lot and I really don't agree with it at all. Giannis deserved it, and Harden didn't lose because of "bias" or anything else you want to cook up.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t have a problem with it.

The Rockets front office doesn’t give a damn about what the Zach Lowe’s of the world think.

The Rockets are right, Harden should have been MVP and the Rockets are putting up to their player.

BMoney, RayRay10 and Deuce like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really have no problem with a team account supporting their guy.

But let's face facts, the Rockets (Harden / Morey) are villains on social media. So anything that people can rally around and throw stones at they will.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Would Giannis have got his team to top 2 if he had the amount of injuries and problems we had? I very much doubt it.

Harden is probably the most hated superstar out there. It was a debate him winning it last year..... and he had a much better season this season. Heck, he had one of the best seasons of all time.... and that can't get him MVP? All because Giannis finished 1st in a much weaker conference.

Every year it's a debate on whether Harden should win MVP.... despite him being a clear winner.

13. onreego

onreego Member

Has there never been another team that has said: "Congratulations to other team's player but our team's player is the MVP in our books"?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe it is because McGrady was mentally weak? Maybe it is because McGrady on national television picked the Lakers to beat the Rockets when he was a member of the Rockets!! Maybe it is because he had surgery basically ending his career without consulting the Rockets?

Just a few... oh I don’t know... reasons?

Championships are #1, but players can be loved without a title.

BMoney and justtxyank like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yo, Taylor, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time! One of the best videos of all time!

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

not publicly.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bay Area Media infused into Yahoo.

Remember Chris Haynes now runs Yahoo NBA's division. And he is from the Bay Area.

That article is ridiculous. But it is problematic when you take a LOCAL Bay Area voice and AMPLIFY it into a NATIONAL Yahoo content source.

justtxyank and tc0330 like this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, but that doesn't matter. The MVP isn't the "well what if" award, it's an award based on what happened. If the Rockets had less injuries and won 61 games then Harden would've won it.

It wasn't a debate, he got 86 of the votes. That's quite a bit more than Giannis got this year. It wasn't close. If you're the clear alpha on the best team, you win MVP, it's usually as simple as that. If you want to complain about the results of MVP voting, complain about the Westbrook year. That was the year they got it wrong. This year they got it right.

ilias likes this.
  19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Disagreeing isn't whining. I just hate that thinking. Same accusation made about the ref video. "Oh stop whining!" But after the game 1 debacle, the officiating came back to earth.

Further, I'll point out that generations of great teams across sports insulate themselves with the "us against the world" mentality. Doesn't seem an impediment to winning and one can certainly argue there is at least a correlation to winning.

D-rock likes this.
  20. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

They didn't get it right.

If Harden has one of the best seasons in NBA history with multiple injuries to his key teammates.... and got his team from 14th to 4th, he should have been a clear winner. It's no debate. Giannis won it because his TEAM finished 1st and because he's way more popular. It's pretty obvious.

saleem and D-rock like this.