1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Media boosting Jordan Hill's Trade Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Article posted today by Jon Feigan of the Chronicle -

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7422680.html

-It was reported the other day that Houston was looking to create a package centered around Jordan Hill and the expiring contracts of Jefferies/Battier for Nene potentially if Melo is to get moved and Nene becomes available.

-I find it funny that the next day the Chronicle releases a story about how much Hill has grown in the past years and his potential to be a starting big in the league for the future. Especially after his poor performance since the new year.

Do you think that the Rockets are using their media sources to boost Jordan's trade value? Or is this just Feigan looking for something to write about?

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm thinking the former.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Looking to write about something.

Here is my problem. I do not think J.Hill is doing bad but I do not think he is living up to the hype that CF members put him up to. he has had quite a few good games, especially defensive wise. At the same time he never had consistant minutes. 5 minutes one game. 10 minutes the next and DNP the next. Kinda hard to get settled in, no? We already saw what that did to our 4th year MIP....

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you really think NBA teams make trade decisions based on Jonathan Feigan articles?

5. durvasa

Some positive buzz helps. If nothing else, other fans and media pay attention, and a team will be more willing to make a trade for him if their fans and the media like it.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Whether people want to accept it or not, JHill is still a prospect. You can see it when he is focused and giving all out effort...which is the problem. Starting him was a mistake, we can all see that now, but he did his best when Brad was with him on the 2nd unit. Teams will see his potential and be intrigued, get him with the right coaches and keep his motor running all the time.

7. durvasa

How often do young player who aren't self-motivated amount to anything?

8. herro

herro Member

True.de

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

GM's use professional staff to determine player value, not articles fluff

10. rockets934life

Not often but how often do we see teams give young prospects chance after chance hoping to tap that unrealized potential?

First to say, I've been DISAPPOINTED in his performance since New Years but he is young, raw and 6 10...teams will take note.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nailed it. ;)

Basketball, at this level, is about fit, to a large extent. JH fit next to Miller pretty well. That type of effect would be what would have to sell another management on Hill, and his length, of course.

12. dobro1229

No, but the Rockets Front Office and Feigan have shown to have a working relationship as far as releasing news, debunking rumors, etc. He is typically the first journalist to release information to the fans.

I just found it interesting that this article was written literally a day after Feigan wrote that Jordan Hill and expirings were the central focus on a package that could potentially net them Nene if the Melo deal finally comes to fruition.

Does this boost his trade value as far as his basketball stats go? No, but it paints a journalistic picture of what this player could be and the work the Rockets staff sees behind the scenes, and his ability to get better.

Do the Rockets use their media sources as a communication device between organizations?... Absolutely.

Is this story to solely boost trade value? Not necessarily, but the timing of it being released certainly doesn't hurt their cause.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Rockets spin Jordan Hill round & round,
    & hopefully outta town! ;)

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

nope. I've gotten significant team news and trade info from Woj first.

The Martin trade. The Yao injury.

15. dobro1229

Also think about it from the fan's perspective in Denver.

Did we just trade one of the best bigs in the West in Nene for expiring contracts and a draft bust?

Or is this Jordan Hill kid really have something to offer us "in the future"

-articles written that show how hard he is working behind the scenes, how much he is improving, and his abilities in practice sure help.

-If the trade does go down then from a PR perspective Jordan being a future prospect and not a bust makes this trade more acceptable in the eyes of the fans.

-What the Nuggets would really most likely be interested in would be the cap relief for the expiring contracts but that doesn't always send the right message to their fans.

16. dobro1229

Agreed. I forgot to mention that Adrian Woj. has a working relationship with them as well. It is possible that they do have more than one media source they use though.

-I dont have time to look up every bit of news Feigan has reported first, but I follow the Rockets enough to know that he is typically the first.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Jordan is only 23, the same age as T-Will who half the fans here seem convinced is a superstar in waiting. Hill has had some dissappointing performances this year, but it's a bit early to rule him a bust or say his potential for improvement is tapped out.

18. worzel gummidge

The Nets would've had a deal. They want to get under the tax.

19. dobro1229

I dont think this thread has anything to do with him being a "bust" or not. I think its safe to say that he has underperformed by what the Rockets had hoped he could bring, but as long as he is a Rocket they will continue to help him get better if they can not trade him.

The real issue here is whether or not the Rockets see him as a project they really want to risk taking if he has the ability to facilitate a trade that will upgrade the team, especially at the Center position.

I think he is a player they would like to move if they can, and the information has been released that he is a likely target to facilitate a trade for Nene only confirms that interest.

Patrick Patterson is more than likely Morey and the coaching staff's project long term that he would rather invest playing time and coaching energy into since he is their lottery pick.

1 person likes this.
  20. rockets934life

Well re-signing Scola long term and then drafting PPat along with having Hayes already at the PF spot was a clear indicator that they weren't convinced JHill was their long term answer. I think Morey wouldn't hesitate to move JHill in a deal for a clear upgrade at another position, Center and SF come immediately to mind.