1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Lakers, Hornets trade now dead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

?

CP3 to LAL, Gasol to HOU, Odom/Scola/Martin/Dragic/pick to NOH. Do you like the move?

1. Yes

332 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

When I heard about the Gasol trade (before it was denied by Stern), I was very upset. Too much to give up for a veteran that we couldn't guarantee would stay healthy. Not to mention LAL would have gotten away with highway robbery with that trade.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Amel likes this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Morley got bailed out by the league. That veto saved Houston more than the Pels. Before the harden Trade, I had lost all faith and hope in Morey after I heard about his trade proposal

Bo6, JayGoogle, fattz and 5 others like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Basketball reasons!

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Wow..

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

What a blast from the past. Before the Westbrook trade, before the Ryan Anderson signing, before Be Well, there was the failed Gasol trade. Did Tilman put a gun to his head then too? Incompetent fraud exposed.

JayGoogle, fattz and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

right. so... illuminati basically

Invisible Fan, JumpMan and juanming like this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

Nah, just a bad trade by morey. Bashing morey doesn’t change that the trajectory of this franchise was ruined by Tillman’s desperate need for lts. The facts are there, we started 2018, his first offseason with all the bird rights to our players(didn’t use, not even as a trade assets when at the cap), MLE(didn’t use), TPE over 10 million(didn’t use), several draft picks(multiple first and 2nd rounders used over the next two years too...get under the tax). The most indefensible one is we let our glue guy go Ariza, who paul himself said was the biggest thing missing, but thats fine, I’m down to get new talent...we got James Ennis on the minimum. Months later while hes playing in MDA’s frustrating only short rotation, he gets traded for a top 55 2nd rounder,nothing in return. We also cut House that year from the DLeague because we refused to cut Melo’s contract despite him not plying for months and he was a minimum, we also added a first rounder in our trade for shumpert...coinicidentally all those moves got us less talent, less depth, almost no replacement...and under the luxury tax “while we were competing”. Now remember, getting under the tax doesn’t help the GM future cap flexiblity, doesn’t help the coach/players, doesn’t help the fans who had prices raised to the game..they goto one guy’s pockets.

Morey ain’t perfect, I’m down with the flaws of this man, but the man up top is who sunk this ship and pointed his fingers and lied every chance he could. Wish it wasn’t true, Wish I was giving him a standing ovation for taking all the swings during our window, now he can save galore, who cares, we’e at the pit of the nba. I’m happy to say screw morey, he ain’t with us anymore, but that doesn’t change the guy who promised to fix our culture and instead made us a laughing stock.

Icehouse, ryan_98, Reeko and 8 others like this.
  9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Had Del Demps been patient, #basketballreasons would never have been born.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Interesting interview, but this doesn’t really seem like new info. It has always seemed pretty clear that when Stern voided the trade, he was acting as owner of the Hornets, not as NBA Commissioner.

People got really bent out of shape about it, but it’s not like the Commish goes around voiding trades Willy-nilly. This was a unique situation where the league owned the Hornets at the time. I’m not sure why this fact is always overlooked. Even Matt Barnes acts like this is new info to him.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You guys think we still would have traded for Harden after the trade?

The center piece of the Harden trade was Lowry to Toronto. Obviously Kmart won't be involved, but we could have traded someone else on his place?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. But there was the issue of conflict of interest. It's like letting one of the owners be the Commish of the league. Stern should have just let the GM do his job and not meddled.

That said, it really saved us from a very unwise trade by Morey. It would have been in the same magnitude of the Westbrook trade. And the Pelicans would be royally screwed if that trade had worked. The only team that would come out like a bandit was the Lakers.

Jean Buss kept trying to say that Stern was not against the Lakers as if Stern had a reputation of a Lakers hater. On the contrary, everybody has always believed that the league is pro-Lakers. That move by Stern actually somewhat debunked the conspiracy theory that Stern wanted to give the Lakers a ton of championships.

Anyway, it changed the course of Rockets history.

Bo6, JayGoogle, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is what I was going to say, it's weird Barnes wouldn't understand why it happened, it was explained thoroughly in the following days / weeks of the trade IIRC.

Patience, DeadGato and HP3 like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bash Morey if you must, but if you're using this as a way to defend Tilman at all (I can't tell) that is unnacceptable and you must slap yourself.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

People keep crying about this trade but it got vetoed because it really was a trash trade for New Orleans. This would've kept them in 14th pick purgatory for a decade. They basically got our 9th seed core and made it their core, like what's the point of that. The league owned the team and if there was ever any draft that you knew they'd rig the lottery it would be this one. They did and the Hornets got Anthony Davis. That trade would've prevented that.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

On how his time with the Rockets ended:

“Daryl Morey had just told me a couple weeks before that that he wouldn’t trade me, that he wouldn’t trade me (to Oklahoma City). I think a lot of guys in this league, you play for a while and you feel like the team at least owes you a conversation, you know what I mean? Like, of course they can do whatever they want to. You’re under contract, but just to have a conversation with you is respectful enough, I feel. So when that didn’t happen in Houston, it was what it was.”
    HR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you wanna go play for Glenn/Daryl again?

[​IMG]

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The necro bump of all necro bumps!

[​IMG]

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Morey burns too many bridges.

He could have had Paul Harden Embiid

Invisible Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

cp3 has absolutely no reason to go to philly when he has always had a significant relationship with Booker. And the fit is simply much better there. It's another version of him and harden which is easily the best backcourt in the league. Oh and look how the suns have become one of the top teams in the league after years of being off the map. Then you add how Tilman basically dumped him for nothing after morey believed he wasn't being traded. We already knew for a fact morey went to him and told him that but was overruled by a dumbass that has ruined the rockets organization. There's no reason to want to go through that again

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Do you wanna go play for Daryl again? o_O

[​IMG]