1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' James Harden takes families on Christmas shopping trip

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Houston Rockets star James Harden hosted a shopping spree for 21 single mothers and their children on Sunday at a local Target store.

Harden - along with his mother Monja Willis and his siblings - have done the holiday shopping event all five years he's played for the Rockets.

The James Harden Family Foundation allows single mothers to provide Christmas gifts for their families, as well as pick up necessary daily items.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Harden's handlers not doing a very good job with his image. They should have helped him put his signature t-shirt on better. It's twisted and tugging on his belly making him look fat

Balldon'tlie likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Media handlers conspiracy

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But glad to see this full story here OP

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When I click the thread, I was half expecting to see the Kardashians. :eek:

7. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Giving season at hand for the Beard
    James Harden and his mom, Monja Willis, right, know how to get into the spirit of giving. Bill Baptist/NBAE via Getty Images
    1:29 PM CT
    • [​IMG]
      Calvin WatkinsESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Standing next to aisle B50 where Nate Berkus lamps are being sold, a young girl started singing Lauryn Hill's "Killing Me Softly" by request.

On this cold Sunday afternoon at Target, her mom, meanwhile, was telling Monja Willis about the talent of her daughter.

"She can really sing," said Willis, who hugged the girl before moving on to mingle with other families.

Willis was co-hosting an event with her son -- James Harden, the 27-year-old MVP candidate from the Houston Rockets -- for 20 single moms, who were given instructions to get their children anything they wanted for Christmas.

Well, almost anything.

"No cell phones," said Willis, who is a a single mom with three kids of her own, including her youngest, Harden.

For the last five years, Harden and many of his family members have gone through the store to help single moms and their kids pick out items. This year, Harden's foundation spent roughly $1,500 per family so single moms could buy groceries, toys and clothes.

"We always wanted to give back, and James is a big kid at heart," Willis said. "We figure this would be the best thing to do."

Willis worked for nearly 30 years at AT&T as a dispatcher in Los Angeles and had to save every penny to put food on the table. Once a year, Willis would receive a bonus check from AT&T for various amounts which turned into Christmas money.

"It's tough, they're so shy in the beginning. Once they realize how cool I am and I have a conversation with them, they open up. It takes some time, and once they get around to the toys it makes it a lot easier."

[​IMG]
    James Harden

"After I started making a little bit more money at AT&T, we would get a bonus check in February and I would hold onto that check until December and that's how I was able to shop for my kids," she said. "I asked them for five things on their list and if I was able to get two or three of them and to see their faces when they opened up the gifts, I was happy to see the smiles on their face. I was happy, the joy in their heart.

"Christmas is real special, it's special to everybody as it should be."

The families selected came from one of the oldest sections of the city, the Third Ward. The moms came with babies and teenagers, pushing red shopping carts while Harden and Willis walked behind them offering suggestions.

"It's tough, they're so shy in the beginning," Harden said of the children. "Once they realize how cool I am and I have a conversation with them, they open up. It takes some time and once they get around to the toys it makes it a lot easier."

Somebody is going to look fabulous -- James Harden knows a good look when he sees it.

"It was very hard, but you just have to have in your heart to do it," Willis said. "You might not be able to get your kids everything they want, but if they get one gift, it should be OK for them. It was hard. But you just have to keep trying and save up those pennies and dimes and catch the sales and do what you have to do."

While Harden's financial success has allowed her to retire and move from city to city with Harden during his NBA career, she said giving back and helping those in need is something everyone should do, especially during the holiday season.

"I don't look at what James make, I look at having extra and doing that for families for Christmas and what we do for Thanksgiving," Willis said. "It's a blessing to share with other families. It's not important what he makes, he could be a manager at McDonalds. If you have an extra dime and do something for somebody else, that's a blessing for me and my family. I don't look at what he makes. He has a good job, just like some of these other CEOs. Whatever we could do to help out to make a kid's heart smile that's what we try to do."