1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' James Harden on bruised right knee: 'It can't get worse'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-harden-expects-play-pain-bruising-right-knee

play
    Harden admits he was 'pretty close' to not playing (0:39)
    • [​IMG]
      Tim MacMahonESPN Staff Writer
    HOUSTON -- Rockets guard James Hardensaid he was "pretty close" to not playing Saturday night due to a bruised right knee and anticipates having to play through pain for an extended period of time.

Harden hurt the knee when he crashed into the basket support after being fouled by San Antonio Spurs guard Brandon Paul during the Rockets' victory Friday. He was considered a game-time decision Saturday night, then went on to score a game-high 31 points as Houston extended its winning streak to 13 games with a 115-111 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks."I wasn't feeling well at all, but the doc came in and just told me that there's going to be pain for a bit, but you can play through it," Harden said. "It can't get worse, but it's going to be pretty painful until obviously you give it some time. Once he said that, I was like, 'Let's go.'"
    Harden, who leads the NBA in scoring (31.5 points per game) and ranks second in assists (9.3), said he didn't know how long pain in the knee would be a problem. However, he made it clear that he has no intention to miss any games, saying he'd get treatment on the Rockets' off day Sunday and be ready to play Monday against the Utah Jazz. Harden, who was 8-of-21 from the floor against the Bucks, acknowledged that the soreness in his knee significantly limited his explosiveness.

"I wasn't moving like I usually move, but we won," said Harden, who missed a total of only two games over the previous three seasons. "Move on to the next game."

King1, vince and D-rock like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I do not like the idea of playing through pain. Pain is your body's way of telling you to rest.

bilaal14, yixiixiy, glynch and 8 others like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fun to juxtapose last night's quotes from hatas with Harden saying he'll play through pain

You call it like you see it, right, cheke

4. riko

riko Member

He missed some layups he usually makes and was 2-11 at one stage from the floor but he then adjusted and went 6-9 from there and played well. If he was fully fit he would have easily scored 45 last night. He was clearly slowed down by both the bruised calf and the knee.

ricardo1979, adw, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would definitely like the knee to be rested and ready. I am super happy we got the win, even though the game was much closer than I would have liked.

I will trust the medical staff to determine if he can go or not. I just don't want to make a bad situation worse.

adw, s3ts, Stormy1234 and 1 other person like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The main risk of playing through pain is creating a body imbalance that risks another injury.

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

This is why I don't like when he goes crashing into the lane looking for a foul. To easy to bump knees. If I was a coach all players would be required to wear knee pads

Mr. Dominant and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good point SealC. James is a warrior and doesn't use the excuse of a minor injury to sit. With Capela and Luc out, our solid rotation is a bit thin. I think if anything he should adjust his game and focus on jump shooting and minimize the full contact drives to the basket for a few games. I know this limits his game, but it also would reduce his exposure to the beatings he takes.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Take a seat & get that knee right. We'll see you in the new year. (Jan. 4th vs GS?)

Dec. 18 vs Utah
    Dec. 20 vs LA Lakers
    Dec. 22 vs LA Clippers
    Dec. 25 @ Oklahoma City
    Dec. 28 @ Boston
    Dec. 29 @ Washington
    Dec. 31 vs LA Lakers
    Jan. 3 @ Orlando
    Jan. 4 vs Golden State
    (...if he takes a month off like Chris...)
    Jan. 6 @ Detroit
    Jan. 8 @ Chicago
    Jan. 10 vs Portland
    Jan. 12 @ Phoenix
    Jan. 15 @ LA Clippers
    Jan. 18 vs Minnesota
    Jan. 20 vs Golden State

Who am I kidding? He'll be out there for all of 'em (at 40 MPG).

Rockets4Life13, D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  10. Mr Chuck Norris

Sit him for the LA games and put him back in for Christmas

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's what we got Bobby Brown for.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Crazy how he still was able to put up the points he did. You should never trust those doctors fully as they could just say that so Harden will keep playing, making sure the Rockets keep winning.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe time to incorporate a few post ups for him. We all know his midrange is that sauce, keep his knees out of the way for a minute. Coach, now is definitely not the time to lean on him more with a short rotation. It’s gotta expand, guys like Weber, Zhou and black especially have what it takes to contribute 5-10 minutes a game. Black saved the bacon for his position. i heard they’re replacing the rim today lol what a dunk....

I wonder what depths of depravity would have to take place for a flagrant foul to be called on a rockets opponent.

Here’s to the rockets getting healthy and remaining the best team in the nba.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Funny. When training for martial arts I am always told pain is weakness leaving the body. Somehow, I like your take better

Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If we are up by 12, I want him on the bench. Get a lead, sit him down, sustain lead, let Harden heal while not keeping him entirely off the court.

BigggReddd likes this.
  16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Pound for pound, I think Harden is likely the toughest guy to ever play the game.

Built like a Hummer, stronger than a tank.

bilaal14 and D-rock like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...this ain't cool

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would rather have us tank to 3rd seed or something to rest Harden

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like the idea your body talking to you but you are over-interpretating it

D-rock likes this.
  20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Our roster is super thin right now with no Capela and Luc so Harden knows he has to play. Harden been playing through pain and injuries his whole career but hopefully he feels better soon