1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS James Harden: "Happier than I've ever been"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

The cameras caught James Harden bopping to the beat on the Rockets' bench, looking like the personification of dancing as if no one is watching, even if he would soon be all over the enormous Toyota Center screens and, in the times in which he lives, on gifs that would go viral.

It was not much of accomplishment to catch him. He moves like Harden before taking the floor at that time nearly every night.

The image, however, did seem to reveal something beyond his seated dance moves.

Though it would be fair to say he looked like a guy on his way to a 65-win season, he inadvertently showed more than even that when he did his dance, caught himself on the video board, stopped for a play-acting pause and then kept on dancing.

"I'm happy," Harden said, "happier than I've ever been."

Winning will do that, but the Rockets believe the attitude that had filled their locker room since training camp led to the winning, rather than having all the good feelings coming from the success on the floor.

"I think you got to see it on the court," Harden said. "Obviously, winning shows it, but it's, like, genuine. We really want to see everyone succeed, from top to bottom. So, behind cameras and just in the locker room, there's a real vibe. Tuck (P.J. Tucker) and Ryan (Anderson) can hang out, and me and Tarik (Black) can hang out. We really love being around each other. I think that's a difference that really hasn't been since I've been here in Houston."

Two seasons removed from the tension-filled slide to 41-41, one regular-season since the Game 6 meltdown that eliminated the Rockets last spring, the Rockets have rolled through the season content not just with roles or success, but at ease with the aspirations they openly shared well before the goals were matched with their record.

"The locker room, how they go about winning, it's fun," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said. "They make it fun. They're not taking things for granted. They're always trying to learn, trying to get better. That's always great to see. Being around them, they're pulling in the same direction.

"Obviously, you have to have talent. But once you have that, you cannot put enough premium on if you have good chemistry or not. I think we do. We have the right amount of everybody is responsible and everybody is held accountable and at the same time, they enjoy being around each other."

As with most things with the Rockets and their success that began with Harden and Chris Paul and their easy partnership. Theirs was not an arranged marriage. They put it together, beginning with an on-court conversation in Los Angeles and then with the weeks that led to Paul telling the Clippers that he intended to sign with the Rockets as a free agent, but would be open to opting in to his contract if they worked out a trade.

From their summer workouts together to the players' minicamps they organized and the seamless run through the season, the relationship has been so easy that if they scripted one their insurance commercials, no one would believe it.

"I don't mean to sound too mushy or whatnot, but it was like love at first sight," Harden said. "Once last summer hit and we just started hanging out and how competitive he really is and how much he loves putting that work in, being in the gym in the same way. So, it kind of just made sense. Obviously everything else from off the court, hanging out, bowling — he loves to bowl — dinner. It was meant to be. And then when you add other guys around it, it kind of brings us together."

Paul did not quite go Hallmark on the topic, but he knew how Harden felt. Camaraderie came quickly, when the Rockets were, like everyone else, 0-0. But he said the chemistry has lasted not only when the Rockets rolled since mid-January to clinch the NBA's best record by the end of March, but also through the trials now largely forgotten.

"We've talked about it," Paul said. "It's about communication. Good or bad, we try to communicate. Then, everything that we do is genuine. We have the tough conversations whether it's in game or whatnot. It's just a trust. We've been all building this together.

"It's been unbelievable. I think a lot of credit goes to the team, the coaching staff, everybody, taken the highs and the lows. I think a lot of people forget, we were on a five-game losing streak this year. For us, it's just coach's motto, 'so what, what's next.'

Paul said the relationship "helps." But he emphasized that "everybody has a voice."

They are not afraid to use those voices. Rockets players have often said that they welcome and expect critiques from one another. They probably did not need the invitation, with Paul long known for being particularly direct. P.J. Tucker does not hold back. But rather than cause issues, the Rockets believe that policing themselves is part of the "communication" they valued before there was anything to critique.

"We had team meals before the season," forward Ryan Anderson said. "It was unique. Everybody knew each other. Everybody got along so well. That's the benefit of having a bunch of veteran guys on the team together.

"We're so close, we always finish each other's ..."

"Sentences," Tucker said.

"I can't describe it," Tucker said. "We talk about it to other people and it's like a feeling. You can't describe it when you're on a team like this. That's weird to say, being a 12-year veteran. To be on a team like this with so many veterans, so many guys that gets it and a coach that gets it, a front office that gets it. You never have to question motivation or if people are here for certain reasons. You don't have to question anything. It's a rarity."

It is unusual enough that Harden said he has never felt as comfortable as he has this season. As with the Rockets as a whole, he said much of his play comes from how at ease he is with his team and his responsibilities, rather than feeling good because of how he has played. That, Harden said, goes back to the like-mindedness of a team he considers the best of his career.

"All of us have been on really good teams, but also some not so good teams," Harden said. "One of the reasons we cherish this moment so much is we know what losing feels like. We know how good it is to have this opportunity for all of us.

"A very motivated team, very motivated from top to bottom. But we don't put too much pressure on ourselves. We just go out there, compete at a high level and good things happen for us.

"We're all in

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I can see rest of the league puking again seeing the Rockets dynasty building

luckyman76 likes this.
  3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Ohhh and wait till the NBA world see Harden in the off-season with his Larry O'Brien (which Les will take).

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Best article for this season. They kept everything tight from the very beginning. They worked on chemistry and trust more than the actual play. Communication improved dramatically from years past. All the drama was cut out. They're all there for each other.

theimpossibles1 and saleem like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Greatness!

D-rock, adw, LFE171 and 2 others like this.
  7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

When has harden ever been on a losing team?

8. Handles

Handles Member

Idk... even at asu he was above .500

Maybe he’s counting the one year with us where we underperformed at .500

Patience and Stormy1234 like this.
  9. Handles

Handles Member

Duplicate post ignore this please.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Now I'm picturing all those quotes I just read at a strip club.

joe cheese in the back getting a table dance

RasaqBoi and Nick_713 like this.
  11. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

10/10...would definitely read again.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Joe Cheese doesn’t have $500 for upstairs. He’s still chillin in Bellaire for happy endings.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. theimpossibles1

This is what i'm talking about! Great article. More of this kind of threads, less talking heads opinions!

D-rock likes this.
  14. macan

macan Member

feels good reading it, thx op

15. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

And this is why Houston doesn't need the LeBron media road show and manufactured drama it brings.

Just keep things under the radar.

Clutch City is and has always been real.

RocketWalta likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

rockets getting that astros vibe